Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22fe
State: Illinois
THOR #12560
Shower Skylight hail Damage!

Just home from a Trip to Denver, Loveland, Berthoud Colorado, via I70 from Illinois through Missouri, Kansas and finally Colorado! 2 days home and we have the biggest hail storm I've ever seen. Golf ball size hail (I have pictures), so our 10 1/2 month old new Class C RV Freedom Elite 22?, has 13,000 dollars of damages. Mostly the rubber roof, skylight in shower and vent covers, Also the slide out canopy (not out during storm), has shredded at the point where it is rolled up against the rv. The body of course, has huge dents from the hail. After the storm, me, 4"11", and a new stainless steel hip, climbed up to the roof to put a garbage bag over the gaping holes in the shower skylight. Repairs around the county are booking 3 months out, naturally, I called the Thor company in Earnhardt, they were every nice and I was referred to a parts department, giving my last 8 digits of VIN, I was given part numbers for replacing the skylight. Told I had to order from a dealer, which I already knew. However, when I go to find the skylight inner and outer part by the numbers I was given, There's absolutely no description or matching part numbers for the online camping world site. Our dealer is in Indianapolis, We could not even schedule a warranty inspection until 3 days before our warranty expires. With the horrible storms that are continuing to pop up each night, I am very concerned about water damage if we don't get this skylight replaced, asap. These are the numbers I was given from Thor directly. Inner part of skylight 013696, Outer part 0352432. Does anyone have any information about replacing the skylight, which by the way, I could care less about having it at all, is very very flimsy and the hail shattered both inner and out parts. I'm so confused, our local RV dealer, cannot help us as they are booked out 3 months, If I replace it under insurance, which has gracefully already sent us a check for damages,Indy is 90 miles away and 22 days out. We expected to be back in Denver on the 23rd of June, Holy, cow, can anyone offer any advise on what I can order online, get help replacing so we don't have mold or water damage, that I'M BETTING WON'T BE COVERED. I did ask for the dimensions of the parts, she said 14X22. How hard can this be, really? I've spent all day online and on phone, its a hard day my friends. If U can really help me, please I would be so grateful. THE EMPTYNESTERS.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
One challenge will be that with the continuous storms of the past two weeks in the same general area, repair services for everything under the sun are going to be backed up. Someone else here posted they had a broken shower skylight from the hail storms as well.

Our Class C is 10 months old too and I have learned quickly not to rely on dealers for any make / model just about anywhere in the lower 48.

I have already been searching for local (up to 2 hours away) independent RV repair shops to handle repairs that I can't do myself because I will be done with dealers once the warranty has expired. I found one on my own and then someone I met at a campground told me about a great one (by reputation) about 2 hours away that can fix any make / model and stand behinds their work.

I would start searching for any independent RV repair places in your area and give them a call.

I would also try e-mailing and calling Thor again since you are under warranty (even though this is not a warranty issues). I had issues with my dealer after having my rig in over the winter for a couple of months to fix some issues. A couple new issues developed on the 6-hour drive home. I wrote an e-mail explaining my situation and implored Thor to send me the parts so I could fix the issues myself..... and they did!!!

Sometimes it depends on the person you reach. Some people will deliver great customer service when the situation warrants it. If you explain you have a hole in your new rig that will only cause more damage from water intrusion and no dealer can see you for a month or more, you might find someone that will send you the vent cover.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I would call Thor Factory Service. they are probably busy as bees with all the existing repairs at the factory...plus all the new influx of owners heading that way...but...they may make an exception to the "appointment program" and do emergency repairs for you on the spot. When I was there in December...by appointment...there were a couple owners that just drove in with small issues. They took care of them on the spot and sent them happily down the road. It's a PITA to stop, drop and roll in that direction but it's the quickest solution to your emergency. Call soon as many others will be doing the same thing. Your coach will rot waiting on a timely response from the dealer network.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Since this isn't a warranty issue, try to find a mobile RV repair service. In the short term, I would patch the hole with plywood, sealed to the base of the old skylight with Dicor. I wouldn't trust a garbage bag patch, rain will make it sag, then give way.

Tags
hail damage, repair, replacement, skylight