Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 Thor Damon Daybreak
State: Colorado
THOR #3604
Slide controller question

Coach has been sitting a month or so, went out today to exercise the generator and do some general cleaning. First slide went out no problem. Bedroom slide sounded like it was winding up to go, but never moved, and went dead. Went out and reset the controller, same thing again, made noise, didn’t move, went dead.
After doing this a few times, I unplugged the controller power, plugged back in and this time it sounded normal for a second, but still didn’t move, went back out again and unplugged both motor plugs, swapped places and plugged them back in in opposite plugs from where they were, and the slide went right out, albeit I had to push button “in”to make it go out, and vice-versa. Not sure what’s up, Is my controller going out? It’s a lippert controller part # 13398-C2.

Dvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:27 AM   #2

Model: 2013 Thor Damon Daybreak
State: Colorado
THOR #3604
Update:
I dove back in to this now that the weather is halfway decent, I have discovered that for example, the slide will come in, then it will not go back out. If I switch places with the wires on the controller it will go back out, but won’t come back in until I swap the wires again. Does that sound like a controller issue, or a switch issue?
Dvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:47 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
You should call Lippert customer service. Since no one answer's your question ill assume no one here knows the answer

Good luck.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I do not know the answer.

I ask, do you have a multi meter tester?

What I would do, is check for continuity, or maybe 12vdc voltage, on the controller, in each direction, at the plug into the motor.
It sounds to me as if it that is where it's at, (the problem with the directional controller), as you describe it working from the one control prompt only, dependent on which way it is plugged in, therefore the motors work okay forward or reverse.

Continuity yes: signal going through.
Continuity no: signal not going through.
I would think continuity test without power present, I am not an electronics tech, I am mechanical tech, so my troubleshooting skills lead me to do this.

To see what continuity looks like on the meter, touch the leads together and see what it reads, looking for ohms reading.

If not continuity, maybe voltage present or not when activated.
You will likely need an assistant.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:11 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
All the slide and bunk controllers are the same. Just pull one of the good controllers and replace the bad one. If the problems are cured on the rear slide. then the controller is bad. It the new controller did not fix the problem the you have a wire or motor problem.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well I am not a Schwintec expert by a long shot, but on the controller unit right between the mode button and the red and green status LEDs there are two micro switches which control the motor direction. I wonder if someone accidently changed the position of those switches so that when the slide is in and you push the extend button, the motors are running to bring the slide in further, instead of out? Just a WAG
Old 03-31-2019, 03:21 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Are you seeing any "error messages"?
(flashing lights...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvan View Post
Update:
I dove back in to this now that the weather is halfway decent, I have discovered that for example, the slide will come in, then it will not go back out. If I switch places with the wires on the controller it will go back out, but won’t come back in until I swap the wires again. Does that sound like a controller issue, or a switch issue?
When I was troubleshooting my slide issue and I switched the wires it switched the direction of the switch (slide extended when held in retract) which is what you are seeing and allowing you to move you slide in/out by swapping the wires. This could indicate a faulty switch but also possibly a faulty controller. As someone else mentioned, you could swap out the controller (or the switch, whichever is easier) to isolate the fault.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote