Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Slide leak not fixed, slide topper

I just got my motor home back from service for a leak in our dinette slide. This is what the paperwork said was done.

"Correction. Clean slide roof and apply new roof tape to cover the crack at the inner fascia along the full length. 1 Hour"

As you can see in the following picture, nothing was done. Slide top not cleaned, no new tape and the crack still runs the length of the slide.

They had my motor home for over a month and charged me $350 for a job they didn't do. I will deal with the service center later but in the mean time I need to fix this. When we get a heavy rain, sometimes water comes in the top of the slide on the inside. It looks to me that all that needs to be done is some caulking needs to be run on the crack. The problem is the awning topper is in the way. I can reach in on each side of the slide and caulk in several feet but I can't get to the middle part of the slide. Is there an easy way to remove the slide topper so I can get to the middle part of the slide?

Old 03-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
This video may help...depends on the model but most are similar in design. Takes at least 2 people. I would immediately have your bank/credit card company charge back the dealer for the fees before Statute of Limitation kicks in. Another reason to inspect repairs before assuming they were done...but I'm sure you know this now.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
If you deal with the repair yourself all recourse against the dealer might be gone.first contact the service mgr of the dealer and express your concerns.have him and the tech show you what repairs they made.sometimes there is confusion in the wording of a repair_ sounds weird i know but maybe the fixed a different slide or fixed it on the inside .if no help contact the bbb and see if you can pursue fraud charges,local news might be interested?key is, get their opinion on what happened,dont just drop it off again.record the interaction if you can but notify them you are recording.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Which "fine" dealer was this?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #5

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Which "fine" dealer was this?

Take a wild guess.......
Old 03-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #6

THOR #11130
ummmmm.....General?..............
Old 03-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #7

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
ummmmm.....General?..............

Camping World
Old 03-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Not much difference in the two
Old 03-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #9

THOR #6451
I purchased the motorhome from Camping World and for the most part have been happy with them. They took care of all my warranty issues and also an out of warranty issue. I am hoping this is just an honest screw up but I am not happy that I will have to take it back again. I wish I could fix this myself but not sure how with the slide topper in the way.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

THOR #11130
It could be that the "write up" was the diagnosis of what they intended to do and the actual repair was never done by mistake or overlook.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #11

Model: windsport 36R
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11273
I can't tell by your picture is the crack on the inner or outer top of the slide. If it's the outer part removing the slide topper wouldn't help. Mine had a slight leak on the inner part of the slide top. I opened my slide about halfway then removed the interior trim. This gave me more clearance between the ceiling and the top of the slide. I was able to get all the way across the slide and seal the crack. But as others have stated before go back to the dealership and try and resolve it there first. Anything you do may void the so called work they might have done. Then you'll be stuck to fix the whole thing. Good luck let us know how you make out.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 AM   #12

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
I have been pleased with Camping World of Statesville, NC. We bought our 2018 Thor Windsport 29 m there and it has had it's share of problems, but between them and Thor, they have been great. Got to go to CW tomorrow because last week after a lot of rain when I ran the levelers up and the coach went to the slide out side, water gushed in at the front driver's side. Pissed me off but, "Here I go Again"......
Old 03-11-2019, 04:14 AM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #12545
For my future peace of mind, are all campers world like this, or just a few bad apples here and there. Looking at pictures of wiring and piping etc, curious how exactly a MH is put together. I thought submarine construction was tight. This is beyond.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #14

THOR #6451
I left work early on Friday and drove up to Camping World. I showed my service writer the picture. He tried to talk to the tech but he had already left for the day. They are supposed to call me sometime today.

Here is a picture of where the leak is. I believe it is leaking in the upper right hand corner and then running on to the top of the window frame and then coming down the inside of the dinette window. When it leaks, it is damp on the corner of the valance. You can see the two places where it leaked before where I put the blue tape and paper towels. The leak is always delayed. One time it didn't start leaking until the next morning after a rain the previous day.