Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2019, 11:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Texas
THOR #12722
Angry Slide out repair cost

Just found out that the shop didn't get preauthorization before they replaced a slide out motor. Now I'm suppose to pay the bill and submit for reimbursement. The bill is $3023.86. That seems awful high. Is that normal? It was on the kitchen slide on a 2018 Thor Ace 27.2.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
What did you sign and did you get an estimate of cost in advance?
Reimbursed from whom?
Post a copy of the bill.
We need to see what really happened or commenting on cost is just silly.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:33 AM   #3

THOR #12722
I didn't get an estimate since it was covered under the extended warranty. I assumed the shop would bill the warranty provider, I would pick it up and go home. The extended warranty Co told the shop since they didn't get a pre-authorization that the policy holder needs to submit the bill to get reimbursed. So of course I'm not getting my Coach back unless I pay.
The cost concerns me.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:54 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Depending on what was wrong with the slide and the extent of the work involved, I could see the repair being anywhere from $500 to $5000 so as was mentioned, we would need to know what was done, replaced, etc. to comment on whether the repair cost was high, low or to be expected.

Also depends on where you took it for the repair.... dealer.... location, etc.

Did the shop know there was an extended warranty? Did they know who carried the warranty policy and the requirements before beginning and performing any work? Did you give them a copy of the policy?

They should have seen / read your extended warranty policy to know what they were required to do before starting any work so they know they would be getting reimbursed for the parts and labor that were approved.

If you gave them the paperwork and they did the repairs without meeting the requirements of the policy, that was their mistake.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:10 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
To answer your question:

A slide out motor should be under $300 and require under 1 hour labor to replace it. I can't imaging how they got the bill to over $3k to replace a slide out motor.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:13 AM   #6

THOR #12722
I showed them the extended warranty and left them a copy. They replaced the motor, shaft, calibrated. $700 parts, $2300 labor, Yes I took it to the shop. He said, don't worry they will reimburse you. I pick it up Friday. I will not be taking it back to them again.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:17 AM   #7

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnieb View Post
I showed them the extended warranty and left them a copy. They replaced the motor, shaft, calibrated. $700 parts, $2300 labor, Yes I took it to the shop. He said, don't worry they will reimburse you. I pick it up Friday. I will not be taking it back to them again.

Then as far as I'm concerned, I would go to the top manager and tell them you are not paying a dime because they were made aware of the extended warranty and it was on them to get approval before starting any repairs.

I'd tell them they better get on the phone and start working with the warranty company to get paid for the work because that's what they should have done before beginning the repairs. If they didn't contact the warranty company, they should have informed you first before starting anything.

When it is covered under the manufacturers warranty, the dealer has to get approval from Thor, Jayco, etc. before they can order parts and start repairs to be reimbursed.

They should know the drill so this one is on the shop and I would not take no for an answer..... and then I would never go back to them again.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Yeah, they inserted a shaft alright!

The shaft costs $40 on Ebay brand new, so maybe $100 dealer pricing? And was that labor for like 15 hours?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:47 AM   #9

THOR #12722
I wanted to help the local guy with some business. And it appears they put the screws to me. I doubt the warranty Co will pay $3K for a single slide out motor replacement. So may have to pay the bill and take them to small claims court. Live and learn....
Old 11-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnieb View Post
I wanted to help the local guy with some business. And it appears they put the screws to me. I doubt the warranty Co will pay $3K for a single slide out motor replacement. So may have to pay the bill and take them to small claims court. Live and learn....

I would not roll-over too easy. I would go to the owner of the shop and say....

"I was trying to help out a small local shop by giving them my business. I gave you a copy of the extended warranty so you had the information required to get the repair approved by the warranty company for the parts and labor before starting. I have spoken with other shops about the repair cost and it seems excessive for what was done. If the warranty company also thinks it is excessive, then I will not get fully reimbursed or they could deny the claim altogether.

We have three options to get this resolved:

1) You call the Warranty Company about the repair and get their approval for the parts and labor or what they are willing to pay for the parts and labor. If there is a large difference in what they think it should cost and what you are charging me, we will need to discuss how we handle the difference.

2) You can look at the parts and labor you are charging me and determine why it is so much higher than what other shops are quoting me. Perhaps there was an error or it took you longer because you never did this repair before. I should not be paying for your learning experience if that is the case. If you give me a price closer to what is the expected cost of the repair, I will feel more comfortable that it will be approved and I will be reimbursed by the Warranty Company.

3) I can open in a Case in Small Claims Court to get this resolved and it will likely go in my favor because: (a) The extended warranty terms and conditions were disclosed when I brought the coach in and you did not follow them and (b) you did not give me an estimate of the work to be done and cost for me to approve before beginning the work. This will both cost us time and you will end up losing the case and paying the court costs as well."

That is what I would do to get this resolved before I would write a $3000 check.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry to hear that you got caught up in this.
But since you didn't make the problem: don't pay for it.
Tell the Shop to submit the bill, and they can wait for the payment.
The only downside that I see: you might have to wait to pick up your RV until they are paid.
Try considering it as the vost of a really good lesson...
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #12

THOR #12722
Thank you for the advice. My wife works for an appliance parts Co. She also helps small service Co with paperwork on filling warranty claims. She looked at the invoice and said it wouldn't get approved because they way he wrote it up. Were going to try and have a set down meeting face to face with this guy. He said him and his dad started the Co so she is going to try to talk to his dad. We also have a friend that is an attorney. I hope it doesn't come to that. My biggest concern now is just getting our RV back.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I would not roll-over too easy. I would go to the owner of the shop and say....

"I was trying to help out a small local shop by giving them my business. I gave you a copy of the extended warranty so you had the information required to get the repair approved by the warranty company for the parts and labor before starting. I have spoken with other shops about the repair cost and it seems excessive for what was done. If the warranty company also thinks it is excessive, then I will not get fully reimbursed or they could deny the claim altogether.

We have three options to get this resolved:

1) You call the Warranty Company about the repair and get their approval for the parts and labor or what they are willing to pay for the parts and labor. If there is a large difference in what they think it should cost and what you are charging me, we will need to discuss how we handle the difference.

2) You can look at the parts and labor you are charging me and determine why it is so much higher than what other shops are quoting me. Perhaps there was an error or it took you longer because you never did this repair before. I should not be paying for your learning experience if that is the case. If you give me a price closer to what is the expected cost of the repair, I will feel more comfortable that it will be approved and I will be reimbursed by the Warranty Company.

3) I can open in a Case in Small Claims Court to get this resolved and it will likely go in my favor because: (a) The extended warranty terms and conditions were disclosed when I brought the coach in and you did not follow them and (b) you did not give me an estimate of the work to be done and cost for me to approve before beginning the work. This will both cost us time and you will end up losing the case and paying the court costs as well."

That is what I would do to get this resolved before I would write a $3000 check.
This is an excellent response to you problem.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
For next time,
Due diligence.
Call the warranty company and ask about shops who have used the warranty prior.
Tell the shop you want a copy of the warranty work approval number before they do any work except the exploratories.
Call warrant company and verify that all is settled
Authorize the work.

Yours is a fairly unique story.
Others took a more self serving path.

We still don't know what work they did.
We don't know if they pulled the entire slide and built a new rail mount due to wall or floor damage.

I'll reserve condemnation until we see more.
Heating the op up with stories of $40 parts and one hour labor isn't valuable to the op.
We know hardly a thing about the situation.

OP,
There isn't a reason to believe the scenarios painted here. If you want real earthbound opine, post the invoice.
Telling us who the warranty company is would be of value to you if you seek past experiences similar to yours and what actions were taken to convince that specific warranty company.

How did your call to the warranty company go yesterday?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
For a bill of $3,000: I would have expected to see something about like this!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1574173218
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Trouble.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	21534  
Old 11-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #16

THOR #12722
Update
After a 3 way call with the extended warranty claim Department. They are sending a inspector out to the shop. It sounds like we are back on track. I appreciate all the information that I got from you guys. The mechanic did take pictures of the tear down, and re-assy process with a list of parts. Thank goodness.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Great news... Congratulations!
Old 11-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #18

THOR #12751
I'm glad to hear all three parties are willing to work together. That is the best way to get things resolved so everyone is happy. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Glad to hear it seems to be working out. My experience with extended service contracts is that without pre authorization they will not pay and there’s no appeal! Perhaps the fact that the dealer seems to have accepted responsibility for obtaining the preauthorization but failed to do so is working in your favor.

I recently had a slide problem on my Fleetwood and had it repaired at the factory service center in Indiana. It had one motor replaced, a wiring issue repaired, some alignment adjustment and setpoints reset. They charged me for 5 hours of labor at $129 per hour and $350 for parts and shop materials. I do not have a contract so it was all on me. It did not seem particularly unreasonable to me.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #20

THOR #12722
Angry Slide repair update

Well this has been an ordeal. It took the inspector 3 days to show up and 2 days to send in his report. I'm was told everything was approved. I called the shop and ask if he would call them since they will not give me the info. He called and the person he talked to was not authorized to give him any info and said a Senior Claims manager will call him back, which they did at 7:18 pm our time. I talked to the extended warranty folks again this morning and they said someone would call the shop this morning. So I'm just waiting for these people to talk to each other. My RV is just a little over 1 year old....

FYI
The Extended warranty Co is RV Care. Just throwing that out there.