Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #5
Good Year Marathons

I've been hearing a lot of bad things about the Good Year marathon tires and would like input from anyone using them. We have them on our Redwood and have 3500 miles of uneventful use on them. I check them regularly as i would any tire and see signs of tread separation or bulging.
I know there was a problem with them after they sent production overseas but haven't those issues been addressed by now?
How much of the bad talk about them is just internet gossip by uninformed people that need something to say?
Just curious.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: RW39MB
State: New York
THOR #10
Steve, a majority of folks over on the Montana Forum have dumped the Marathons for either the G614s or LT tires. Several have even made deals with Goodyear to buy back the Marathons to enable purchase of the G614s, others have filed rig damage claims with Goodyear as a result of a Marathon blow-out and received payment from Goodyear for repairs. Some seem to do fine with the Marathons logging thousands of miles, while others have blow-outs and rig damage, some on their trip home from the dealer. Recently while having a valve stem replaced at a Goodyear dealer, I struck up a conversation with the Manager about the Marathons. His opinion was they were a good tire for smaller TTs, 5ers, and lite duty utility trailers, but had no place on the heavier 5ers. Being a Goodyear dealer of course he recommended the G614s. I know I feel better riding on G614s than I would on Marathons. We each have to make our own decisions.
2018 Chevy K3500HD High Country, Crew cab, DRW, D/A pulling a 2016 Redwood RW39MB, full body paint, dual ACs, dual awnings, Residential fridge, fireplace, sleep number bed, auto leveling, auto sat dish, stacked w/d, disk brakes, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde IS and pin box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Onan 5.5K Genny.
Michelle & Ann S.
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
State: South Dakota
THOR #65
Overloading Tires.

I have to agree somewhat with what the tire man said. We just traded a 7 yr old Carriage for a Redwood. The Carriage had G614's on it that were about a year old with about 5,000 mi. on them. While checking out the Redwood, I saw that it had Marathon's. I took the GVW of the trailer, figured the total weight capacity of the Marathons, and decided the weight capacity of the tires was to close to the GVW of the trailer. As long as you weren't over the GVW, and the weight was evenly distributed over the four tires, you would be in the safe limits. If either of those n't the case, you were asking for trouble. I had the dealer change out the Marathons for my G614's. The Redwood comes standard with the Marathons and the G614's are an option. They should make the G614's standard.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2

Site team avatar sizes are 120 x 120 pixels and 100 x 100 for members.

The icons four icons underneath (left to right) are:

• online indicator (green for online)
  • Infraction button (members cannot see this)
  • The report post icon - click to report a post
  • IP info - click to find out about member IP info. Members cannot see this icon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	thor avatar.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	6
Old 09-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
About the report post button: When a member hits the report post button a thread is automatically started in the reported posts section. It contains a link to the post that was reported and a comment from the person who made the report. You should also get an e-mail notice. A post reported by a moderator is a great way to start a discussion about a problem post.

Handling reported posts: When some one hits the report post button a thread is automatically started in the mod forum with and will contain the contents of the post being reported. We can encourage our members to use this feature when they see trouble on the board but moderators can also use this feature to start a discussion about an emerging issue..

Once you have investigated or handled a reported issue, please post to the thread that was started in the reported posts forum. You can say what action was taken or ask for help if the issue merits a site team huddle. Posting about action taken saves every other mod from having to investigate the same issue.

You might also want to message the person who made the report thanking them for the report.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAndersons View Post
I've been hearing a lot of bad things about the Good Year marathon tires and would like input from anyone using them. We have them on our Redwood and have 3500 miles of uneventful use on them. I check them regularly as i would any tire and see signs of tread separation or bulging.
I know there was a problem with them after they sent production overseas but haven't those issues been addressed by now?
How much of the bad talk about them is just internet gossip by uninformed people that need something to say?
Just curious.
I replaced the Mission tires on the Cruiser back in Feb. of 2010 with a set of Goodyear Marathon's. Have not had any problems to date. Approx. 5000 mi.
A lot of people claim they are made in China. Maybe some are, I don't know. Mine are stamped on the sidewall (MADE IN USA).
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #7

Brand: DRV
Model: 36RSSB3
State: Texas
THOR #88
The ones coming on most of the new trailers are made in China from reports I have read on different forums. Maybe you have to buy the trailer with China Marathons then buy the ones made in the USA. The RV industry as a whole takes the cheap way out.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:53 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Nevada
THOR #976
Here's a Goodyear Marathon that I use to own....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blown Tire.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	109

R/
Safari-Rick

Tags
goodyear, tires