Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2017, 03:01 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
bad slide - who's at fault?

Interesting..... Who's to blame? It's pretty simple. Essentiaslly, this is why I hired an attorney.... Because people can't be reasonable - and need courts to intervene.

As you may or may not know - I am in a suit due to recurring slide issues inside my 1 yr warranty (the Lippert Schwintek slide on our new RV was sold as a 2 track and remanufactured into a 3Trax system that had subsequent failure after failure).

FYI - Lippert is not a defendant in our suit. It is Thor, the manufacturer, Longview RV, the dealer, and Ally, the Finance company, that are named as defendants in the suit. Not Lippert... Lippert merely developed a mechanical product - good or bad... Thor engineers decided that this is the system they would use for their slides. This was Thor's decision to use the system.

If a car manufacturer puts defective equipment on the vehicle they sell - don't you hold the car manufacturer or dealer at fault? Yes.... That's where all the money went....

Thor is responsible - not Lippert. Let Thor and Lippert fight it out among themselves.....

Old 08-10-2017, 03:16 AM   #22

THOR #4636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill/Kathy View Post
We left a campground the morning of 3/11/2017 and had no problem retracting the slide.

In the afternoon at our next stop we extended the slide but it stopped partway out. When the slide stopped, the front was extended 7˝“ and the back was extended 8˝”. We could not move it in or out after it stopped. It was raining hard but not windy.

We called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. A tech arrived early morning on 03/12/17. I showed him that the bottom front track did not look right. He found that all the screws had come out and the track had detached from the slide. The holes for the screws holding the track to the slide were stripped, so he could not use the existing screws. He drilled new holes and used bolts to attach the track. After moving the slide in/out multiple times the slide retracted completely and we were able to drive the coach.

We’re in currently in Alabama waiting for a new motor. The CW here says the front motor failed. The front motor was installed new last May.
How have you guys made out with your repairs?
Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #23

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Just purchased a 2017 ACE 30.4 (our first) and after reading the posts on the forum, I'm beginning to wonder if I should have invested in a flock of sheep instead. I pray that these issues are exceptions and not a common occurrence for Thor. Would it been wise to bulk-up on warranty insurance just for the protection? I do understand that these things are mechanical and there will be issues. We are looking forward to doing some traveling in our sunset years but that doesn't include sitting in a waiting room at a dealership. Any reassurance would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #24

THOR #4636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
Just purchased a 2017 ACE 30.4 (our first) and after reading the posts on the forum, I'm beginning to wonder if I should have invested in a flock of sheep instead. I pray that these issues are exceptions and not a common occurrence for Thor. Would it been wise to bulk-up on warranty insurance just for the protection? I do understand that these things are mechanical and there will be issues. We are looking forward to doing some traveling in our sunset years but that doesn't include sitting in a waiting room at a dealership. Any reassurance would be appreciated. Thanks
Sorry to not be reassuring. but i was still in my 1 yr warranty. Hence my lawsuit - breach of warrantee.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #25

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I feel for you and its the reason we didn't go with the full wall slide. Just seems to be too much for the system. Maybe a hydraulic system would have been a better system.
I understand the suit but why the finance company?
Old 08-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
What size slide is considered a full wall slide

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #27

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Pretty much starts behind the driver and goes to the back of the rv.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbenny View Post
What size slide is considered a full wall slide
Your Windsport 27K, like my 2015 is a "full wall slide". BTW, mine is a two track. So far, no problems (fingers crossed) in the 2.5 months we have had it.
2015 Thor Windsport 27K
thutchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #29

THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
Pretty much starts behind the driver and goes to the back of the rv.
I understand where it goes but all the bad rap on FULL WALL SLIDES I have 1 slide on my MH it is just over 15' long On a 29' long RV. My brothers RV is 39' long and 1 of his 3 slides is the same size as mine does that make his bad also

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 08-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #30

THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutchis View Post
Your Windsport 27K, like my 2015 is a "full wall slide". BTW, mine is a two track. So far, no problems (fingers crossed) in the 2.5 months we have had it.
have not have 1 issue with mine in 13 months run it out properly and retracting properly every time

Four Winds 22B
Windsport 27K
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #31

State: Virginia
THOR #3395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
I have contacted LCI multiple times about my slide issue. All they do is blame Thor. They say the schwintek design works great but if you tear apart the system and have any idea how gears and torque work you will see that it is designed to fail. I've said multiple times on this and other forums you can't have a hexagon rod go through a round hole with nothing to stop it from jumping around. Sure it will work at the beginning or after you replace everything but it will fail again. I have pictures to prove it will fail again. This is after 4 cycles of using the slide. Notice the bearing block is showing signs of failing. Attachment 6270
Ace30.2
Did you get a chance to get the measurements on alterations you made to the schwinteck slide mechanism. I am interested in having this done. As I said I have a full body slide on a 2014 33sw super C. If you can make the parts I will gladly pay for them and have them installed in Richmond. Thanks
Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #32

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bduck100 View Post
Ace30.2
Did you get a chance to get the measurements on alterations you made to the schwinteck slide mechanism. I am interested in having this done. As I said I have a full body slide on a 2014 33sw super C. If you can make the parts I will gladly pay for them and have them installed in Richmond. Thanks

Sent PM