Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2018, 05:04 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
I finished this upgrade today. I managed to make both pieces of wood longer to be about 8.5" long. I used some liquid nails to try to glue the upper piece to the shower bottom and the 2x6. After I got the 2 pieces in place where I think I want them, I put a couple of screws thru the honey come of the RV into the 2x6 to keep it in place. Then after spraying some ant and roach poison in the hole, put the cover back in place.
Hopefully, it should stay in place going down the road.
Photos attached.
Couple of questions about this fix. I cant tell from your pics but does only the one area need the support or is another piece needed for the other side of the p-trap/drain.

Second question. If using a 2x6 is there room to shim the 2x6 up from the bottom to push it up against the pan instead of using the 3/8 board on the top of the 2x6???

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:05 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Jerry, Let me look at some of my other pics and see if I can better answer your question.
Its been a couple of months since I did this and I've not only slept, but had alcohol since then.
I do know that a 2x6 was part of the fix, and that I still have a little bit of a soft area that I feel when in the shower, but not nearly as bad as it was.
More to come.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #23

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Ok, I think I remember, now.
I used the 2x6 on the bottom against the bottom of the RV floor, supporting a piece of plywood up against the bottom of the tub floor. The white stuff is glue to try to glue the 2x6 to the plywood.
Then, once I was happy with the placement of these two pieces in the hole, I used 2 wood screws with washers to hold the 2x6 in place on the RV floor.
See if these three photos show it better for you. 1610 shows the "whole" picture, 1611 and 1612 show the ends.

I believe I wanted to provide a little wider support for the tub floor with the plywood, thinking the 2x6 was narrower than the plywood. That is the only real reason for the way I stacked it, as far as I can remember.

Get back to me if you need more clarification.

This area is pretty tight to work in and get to. Don't screw your neck up trying to get to it. I'll come down and give you a hand if you want me to.

Recie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1610[1].jpg
Views:	152
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	8614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611[1].jpg
Views:	149
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	8615  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1612[1].jpg
Views:	127
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	8616  
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Thanks Recie. Appreciate the help and offer. Dont even know if i want to do this or not. I like to gather the info so if i decide to do it ill be ready

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #25

State: Alaska
THOR #7980
I had a soft area in my Miramar by the shower drain too. I cobbled together a pic fix. I used two pvc toilet bowl flanges, one threaded coupling, a short piece of pvc pipe about 6 inches long.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #26

THOR #7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghof View Post
I had a soft area in my Miramar by the shower drain too. I cobbled together a pic fix. I used two pvc toilet bowl flanges, one threaded coupling, a short piece of pvc pipe about 6 inches long.
I essentially made a jack on the kitchen table from these pieces and sanded one end so it would spin on the piece of pipe. Very hard to describe! Think about a screw jack,or jack post from a basement.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:34 AM   #27

THOR #7980
There are some step stabilizers for rv steps that could be modified to fit under the shower floor. I would have used these had I known about them before I made exactly the same thing from pvc toilet flanges.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #28

State: Florida
THOR #16003
Soft spot in front of couch

Pretty significant soft spot,around 8” diameter in front of couch in my 2017 axis. I cannot see it from below there’s seems to be a subfloor or insulation covering that area down there under
Any suggestion?
Bob
Old 01-10-2021, 11:02 PM   #29

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The bobo View Post
Pretty significant soft spot,around 8” diameter in front of couch in my 2017 axis. I cannot see it from below there’s seems to be a subfloor or insulation covering that area down there under

Any suggestion?

Bob

Do you know the cause? If it hasn’t been there previously can you think of any way it could have gotten wet? If it’s always been there and isn’t getting worse you might just live with it. If it’s new, damaged and needs to be fixed you might have to pull up the floor and cut the damaged area out. Which isn’t as cataclysmic as it sounds. Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade your flooring as well as fix a problem.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:21 AM   #30

State: Florida
THOR #16003
Soft spot

I don’t think the soft spot is from water, it’s behind the drivers seat in front of the couch. All of the threads I’ve read are around the shower. I cannot see it from underneath it looks like there is a subfloor some kind of insulation that looks like it can’t be removed. My thought are that it’s cosmetic and perhaps they left out a support where there should be one. I’m trying to upgrade and 2 people that looked at it would not be convinced it is cosmetic. It’s right in front of the couch so I’m thinking I could take the couch out(where I found the drain for the water tank) and see if I might be able to peel back the linoleum enough to take a look. With what I know I’m convinced it’s not a water problem
Thanks for all the input it is much appreciated
Old 01-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #31

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I think the soft floor problem is in all RV showers. I also have it and my solution is to install a wooden or fiberglass platform that sits on the bottom of the shower and remove it when finished to let dry. You can buy already made teak ones but are very expensive or just make your own with pine or cedar slats screwed and glued together and sealed with varnish or uerathane. The platform spreads your weight over a larger area. I have not started the project yet but will post pics when I am done. ( I wanted to use old hockey sticks cut to size but got the `Not in my shower refusal`)
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 01-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #32

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The bobo View Post
I don’t think the soft spot is from water, it’s behind the drivers seat in front of the couch. All of the threads I’ve read are around the shower. I cannot see it from underneath it looks like there is a subfloor some kind of insulation that looks like it can’t be removed. My thought are that it’s cosmetic and perhaps they left out a support where there should be one. I’m trying to upgrade and 2 people that looked at it would not be convinced it is cosmetic. It’s right in front of the couch so I’m thinking I could take the couch out(where I found the drain for the water tank) and see if I might be able to peel back the linoleum enough to take a look. With what I know I’m convinced it’s not a water problem

Thanks for all the input it is much appreciated

If it wasn’t always that way it does seem like it’s worth investigating. Hopefully you can access it without destroying the flooring. Usually though soft floors come from ongoing water intrusion and I hope that is not your case. Water is funny stuff and if you’ve got some it could be coming in around a slide, a side window or even from the roof. Good luck.