Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2017, 01:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Soft spot in shower floor

I have a 2016 Hurricane 29M with a "soft" spot in the Shower floor around the Drain.
I searched this area of the forum, found one thread that was from 3-5 years ago, but no real answers. It was also on an older unit.
The Drawings i have from Thor don't include an equipment layout nor detail to show this area.
Is this common for other Hurricane owners? Has anyone been into their newer unit this deep yet? I'm not really jumping fences to tear the shower apart to "fix" something that ain't broke yet.
Thanx,
Recie

Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I also noticed the same in our unit. I was thinking of spraying some spray foam under to stiffen up. Any thoughts? I have bought a can but have not tried yet.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:44 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Our 29M Windsport is the same way. The problem is not actually a "soft spot", the shower floor is just not laying flat on the sub floor which is very solid. No way to correct the problem short of removing the entire shower. I know it feels funny to step on but I truly believe it won't be a problem. There is no way to get to the underside of the shower to shoot foam or anything else in there.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:49 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Contact Thor and find your way to speaking to a seasoned tech. They should know if a soft spot was intentional and if not they might have a suggestion on how to correct it. I had a non Thor RV with a shower floor soft spot but I was able to easily get under it and add support. Just the thought of stepping on it each time we used the shower made me want to correct it whether I needed to or not.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:59 AM   #5

THOR #8249
So far I agree with you, SuperD, that it doesn't seem to be a problem, just uneasy about it.
Also agree with finding a good seasoned tech at Thor to see if they know anything to do about it. I did find one to ask as to why the shower floor was so high off the bathroom floor, and after looking into his drawings, he couldn't say why it was that high. I'm sure it has to do with the drain plumbing most likely.

Thanx for the input guys, still learnin'.
RPT
Old 08-08-2017, 02:03 AM   #6

THOR #5196
With regards to the soft spot and access I am referring to only the 29M, other coaches may have different configurations that allow access to the underside, the 29M doesn't.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:18 AM   #7

Model: Windsport 29m
State: Idaho
THOR #5564
I didn't like the squishy floor. There is an access cover to the bottom of the shower in the top of the right rear wheel well. Jack up the back of the RV to get some room to work. Once you take off the cover you can see the bottom of the shower pan and drain. I cut several pieces of wood to fill the very big obvious hole by the drain. A couple more pieces of wood act as braces to hold everything up and in place. Secure the braces to the sub-structure with screws and glue. I used a thin piece of rubber (1/4" thick) to provide a buffer between shower pan and the re-enforcemment wood pieces. I put sealant on the access cover when I put it back on. Pretty easy to fix and a huge improvement.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

THOR #5564
29m, top of RR wheel well, shower pan, drain, and etc.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:37 AM   #9

THOR #8249
I'll give it a look on my Hurricane 29M, since I am living in it away from home at the job.
Thanx.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #10

THOR #5196
I have to apologize, I was told by Thor and a tech there was no way to access the bottom of the shower. Obviously they were wrong and I was wrong for listening to them and not checking for myself. Thank you pengoquin for correcting Thor and me! We are in the process of getting ready to move cross country, guess my investigation of the shower will have to wait until we are resettled.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #11

THOR #8249
I investigated my coach and found that there is a cover over the Right Rear Wheel on the bottom of the floor. Upon removing it, I found the shower drain trap and a small access area under the shower. Upon looking, I found that the shower bottom is reasonably supported with pretty thick plywood, but the "soft spot" is the area directly around the drain and trap.
I'm pretty sure I can get a 2 x ? and put it into the correct location to support that area.
I took some pics of the situation and attached them. The photo of the support is taken as far back as I could get in the hole, but centered with the drain pipe. That support only goes about half way across, then there is a wide chase for the water tubing.
Maybe these will get the views needed to understand what's been done.

Pengoquin, Thanx for the heads up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Installed.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	6573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reference to frame and tire.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	6574  

Name:	Hole before I trimmed linoleum back.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	6575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking up into access port.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	6576  

Name:	Plywood support for part of shower floor.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	6577   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot looking across shower floor from end of support..jpg
Views:	280
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	6578  

Old 08-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #12

THOR #8249
BTW, the trap is glued to the down-leg pipe from the shower drain, but seems like a slip joint on the other side.
Not sure it is very "maintenance friendly".
Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #13

THOR #5196
Great pictures! Thank you for posting those they will be very helpful to everyone!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

THOR #5564
Great pictures. After you cut a piece of wood to fill the hole under the shower pan, it's fairly easy to improvise a couple of pieces of wood to hold that piece in place. As I recall I used 5/8"plywood. I did make it so that it was easy to remove. No one I talked to at Thor knew why the cut out was so large, possibly to accommodate a different shower pan or make installation easier. I told them to fix it, but I don't think they listened
Old 08-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If it's like all the other places they cut holes for wires, plumbing, etc, they cut the hole about 10 times the size it needed to be, so directly around the drain (1 1/4" drain so cut a 8-10" hole) there's not much support.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:05 AM   #16

THOR #8249
OK, I got the first iteration of the fix completed, but not sure I'm going to leave at this.
I got a 2x6 and cut a piece about 7.5" long. After I got it into the hole, I figured out the problem is exactly what yall say. The hole in the plywood deck under the shower at the drain is larger than it needs to be, actually about 8" across.
The 2x6 fits under the plywood nicely, but leaves about a 3/8" gap to the shower floor pad. So I found an old board that is about 3/8" thick and after trial and error cut it to about 7.5". The fun part is messing with these 2 pieces of wood to get them under the shower floor pad, such that they support the shower floor next to the drain.
See the photos attached. You can tell the new 2x6 from the old 3/8" board if you look close.
The only problem I have now is 1) the 2x6 seems like it should be a bit longer to get good footing across the hole; 2) "nailing" it in place.
I think I will cut another 2x6 piece about 1.5" longer and try it.
I will probably use some liquid nails to keep things in place, then try to use some "ell" brackets I bought to add "belt and suspenders".

Can't continue this till tomorrow as it is time to start prepping to go to work. Man, don't you just love graveyard shift!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Prototype Fix 1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	6597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prototype Fix 2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	6598  

Name:	Prototype Fix 3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	6599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prototype Fix 4.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	6600  

Name:	Prototype Fix 5.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	6601  
Old 08-31-2017, 02:58 AM   #17

THOR #8249
Final Configuration

I finished this upgrade today. I managed to make both pieces of wood longer to be about 8.5" long. I used some liquid nails to try to glue the upper piece to the shower bottom and the 2x6. After I got the 2 pieces in place where I think I want them, I put a couple of screws thru the honey come of the RV into the 2x6 to keep it in place. Then after spraying some ant and roach poison in the hole, put the cover back in place.
Hopefully, it should stay in place going down the road.
Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1610.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	6644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1612.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	6645  

Name:	IMG_1611.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	6646  
Old 08-31-2017, 03:56 AM   #18

THOR #5564
After I had the shower pan support issue resolved I put a bead of 3M 5200 marine sealant on the access cover and then secured in place with the original screws. Since the cover is in the wheel well I figured there is plenty of opportunity for unwanted water to try and get in, hence the marine sealant to keep it out.

2017 Windsport 29m
2017 Chev Colorado Crew Cab Diesel 4X4 Toad
pengoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #19

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengoquin View Post
After I had the shower pan support issue resolved I put a bead of 3M 5200 marine sealant on the access cover and then secured in place with the original screws. Since the cover is in the wheel well I figured there is plenty of opportunity for unwanted water to try and get in, hence the marine sealant to keep it out.
Very good idea! A second option would be to use some butyl tape.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
I have the same issue on my Hurricane 34E around the shower drain. I also have an access cover in front of the shower base that allows access to the underside drain area, although an arms each away. Just haven't had the time to work the problem. Anyone have a solution for this rig?