Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Someone has to have a fix...

...for the janky, junky Axxera (specifically the rear camera function) in my ACE. I like to keep an eye on my toad and view traffic around me, but the slightest (and I mean the SLIGHTEST) bump in the road causes the camera to black out. I then resort to reaching under the dash to wiggle cords or just hammer away at the dash with my fist...often with mixed results.
I’ve tried replacing the yellow RCA style video cable, I had Thor send me a new video switcher box, I’ve tried zip-tying the cables under the dash to keep them as immobile as possible; all to no avail! I’m somewhat OCD about having this camera functional at all times. Help!

Old 01-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #2

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
...for the janky, junky Axxera (specifically the rear camera function) in my ACE. I like to keep an eye on my toad and view traffic around me, but the slightest (and I mean the SLIGHTEST) bump in the road causes the camera to black out. I then resort to reaching under the dash to wiggle cords or just hammer away at the dash with my fist...often with mixed results.
I’ve tried replacing the yellow RCA style video cable, I had Thor send me a new video switcher box, I’ve tried zip-tying the cables under the dash to keep them as immobile as possible; all to no avail! I’m somewhat OCD about having this camera functional at all times. Help!
I haven't driven my Axis yet (waiting for dealer to call me to come pick it up for my various warrany issues), but I noticed while checking radio wires on mine that some wires were loose in their crimps. Personally, all I use are (see attached) and will re-do mine when I get it back from the dealer.

I also use a Wagner handheld heater and it works perfectly under dashboards. This may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solder.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	15216   Click image for larger version

Name:	solder2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	15217  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wagner1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	15218  
Old 01-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
My 2013 ACE still has the original infamous Jensen JVR212 unit.......and shhhh.......it still works fine.....so far. I am not familiar with the Axxera and its separate video switcher unit......but lets ask some questions first.

1. Sounds like an intermittant connection somewhere. Are you sure the problem is under dash or at the radio and not at the camera end? I assume yes, since pounding on the dash at the radio seems to fix it sometimes. If you do this pounding while driving it could also be "coincidentally fixing things" and the trouble is actually somewhere else. Can you simulate the failure/fix in your driveway?

2. Any weather links to the problem......raining on camera end for example? Must be driving?

3. When you unzip tie the radio/camera cables under dash is there any one cable wiggle that causes the camera failure and restore intermittantly? That includes power and ground connections. If yes, can you identify which cable(s). You have already replaced the switcher and the video link cable so it is unlikely those items (unless they are also bad).

4. Does the Axxera radio itself work fine (other than no picture) during the camera failures.......radio etc is still powered and working OK?

5. Can you remove the radio from the dash and access the rear panel to see if flexing connection points there causes the failure/restore?

It is not impossible to have an intermittant connection at the RCA jacks (or other connections) as they enter the rear of the radio (internal to the radio, wiring, hairline cracks in cct board etc). It would be nice if you had a second device to test the video feed output from the switcher box to see if that system was reliable (would verify camera through switcher was all consistently good).

Has Thor or the Dealer changed the radio itself? Might be worth requesting a replacement now assuming you are still under warrantee.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
sounds like it's at the camera end to me...
Old 01-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Mine has a full-color Kenwood system in the Dash...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I’ve got a 2017 Challenger, and I also have an intermittent problem with my rear view camera. I’m pretty sure the problem is at the camera end and not in the radio. It started working again after I removed and replaced the camera. I wanted to get it replaced under my extended warranty, but when I had it in the shop recently, they couldn’t recreate the problem . . . it was working just fine. I’ll have to wait into it goes out again.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #7

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
I just got tired of the blackout on my 2017 Challenger so we installed a separate monitor and bypassed the switch box. So much better that I can actually see things in the monitor now.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
I just got tired of the blackout on my 2017 Challenger so we installed a separate monitor and bypassed the switch box. So much better that I can actually see things in the monitor now.
Can you tell me where you got your monitor? Do you have any pictures of it?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #9

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
I have had that problem as well, but it was power to the hydraulic pump for the slide out. Had to replace the plastic box for the 15A fuse on top of the motor.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:04 PM   #10

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
You could try these folks:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...-monitors.html

I have made inquiries and they are helpful.....but never purchased anything as yet. I was doing homework for if and when my OEM Jensen radio fails.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #11

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
When we had our 16 Chateau the camera was flaky like that at first also. A couple months in and I had smoke coming from under the dash because the camera wire had gotten caught in by the brake pedal and half severed it. Apparently a zip tie was to costly to keep the wires contained.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #12

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Quote:
Can you tell me where you got your monitor? Do you have any pictures of it?

I got the monitor at rearveiwsafety. I can’t get a pic now because the buss is in storage.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:41 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Mine has a full-color Kenwood system in the Dash...
You sure are lucky
Old 02-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #14

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
I read about this online somewhere and there were two reasons popped up most often...a faulty ground wire on the camera and the camera itself, which can be replaced and it sounds like you're still on warranty. I tried having the camera on fulltime but found it's distracting. I turned it off so it just ops now on reverse. Too much out ahead to take my eyes off the road to look at the panel. Just me I guess. Good luck
Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You may have a bad connection at the camera. If your camera is held in place with screws, remove them and slowly pull the wiring out. The camera has a short pigtail that connects to a long cable, check this connection.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:36 AM   #16

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Rearviewsafety.com. i like the grid when in reverse. I keep the monitor on with the three screens shown in pic 1. Left rear camera, right top left camera, right bottom right camera. I only connected the reverse trigger wire. So the grid only comes on when in reverse

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172722.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	15485Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172756.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	15486Click image for larger version

Name:	20170621_172738.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	15487
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:55 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Same instillation except my monitor is on the left side of the dash because the GPS is on the right. I got the GPS first so it has squatters rights.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:34 AM   #18

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
We have had the same intermittent rear camera problem with our 2017 ACE, and found a good stiff fist pound on the dash gets it working again! I've also messed with all the rear cables to no avail, so our problem seems to lie somewhere under the dash.

Also, FWIW, the USB port from the Axerra that powers the USB on the dash went out, and we were told it happens all the time and couldn't be fixed without a new unit. So, I just bought a cheapie 12V to USB converter and wired it from one of the the 12V lighter outlets myself, and it works like a champ.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #19

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Forget the rear camera all together. Just tie a rope around your RV rear bumper and the other end around your mother-in-laws neck. She can sit on the hitch and watch everything using a walkie talkie to tell you everything going on back there in between croning about what a loser you are and how her daughter could have done better. :-)
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:01 AM   #20

Model: 2016 class c 31w
State: California
THOR #9093
axxera camera issues

2016 31w chateau same problem if i push on the corner of the screen picture comes back