Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Started the generator.

I started generator for the first time after taking delivery a little over 30 days ago. We did start it at the dealer and let it run for a few minutes. I started the gen from the outside, took the side cover off and got it started after a couple of times. I came back outside about 15 minutes later and it slowed down then quit. Plea you of gas in the rig. I then noticed writing on the side about hot air recirculating and not to run the gen without the side panel. Have I damaged it? I haven’t tried starting it again. Does it have a auto shut off if detecting a problem?

Thanks
JJ

FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMON View Post
I started generator for the first time after taking delivery a little over 30 days ago. We did start it at the dealer and let it run for a few minutes. I started the gen from the outside, took the side cover off and got it started after a couple of times. I came back outside about 15 minutes later and it slowed down then quit. Plea you of gas in the rig. I then noticed writing on the side about hot air recirculating and not to run the gen without the side panel. Have I damaged it? I haven’t tried starting it again. Does it have a auto shut off if detecting a problem?

Thanks

JJ

I’m confident that it’s just fine. Go give it another try and let us know if it works.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no problem, sometimes these things happen to all of us.... just start it again.

it needs some time to 'find it's legs'...
Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #4

THOR #14057
Try again

I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 03-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #5

THOR #4735
...it also requires 1/4 of fuel, or it shuts down automatically
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #6

THOR #14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
...it also requires 1/4 of fuel, or it shuts down automatically
I forgot about that feature. Almost a full tank of gas.

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #7

THOR #4735
...we started out full-timing, in our first ever RV, in a fairly new fifth-wheel bunkhouse 40' and a big dually diesel Ram pulling it... felt like I had to 'run out' and buy the Honda EU2000i and Companion generators 'just in case' I every needed them. I don't think I used them but once, and that was to test them : /
...traded in the fifth-wheel and truck combo for a brand new Georgetown XL. Quickly listed and sold the two Honda generators on craigslist, for not much less than we paid for them. And, I also don't know that in the several months we owned the new Georgetown that I ever once started it's generator : /

...traded in the George for our brand new diesel Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse coach - and even at first didn't know really what to 'make' of the generator...it was there, obviously, but not knowing much about them, I was still a little anxious in trying it out - thinking of it almost for only as a 'last resort' power source, to be used only 'sparingly', as though if you used it too much it might 'explode'(!) or something. Crazy, I know.

but, after a LOT of travel, which we didn't do much with the first two, I learned pretty quickly how great having a very capable generator can be... it's your lifeline for 120v power for those hungry roof air conditioners in the summer months, additional electric heaters in the winter months, both while traveling, and a great alternative to 'having' to always be 'hooked up' at an rv park or campground.
I also found that my initial aversion to running the generator was only because of my lack of knowledge of it's power, and easy usability, especially when you have a coach with an included AGS(automatic generator starter) to automatically start the generator to keep the House batteries charged.
Also, because the generator uses the same fuel tank as the main engine, there's nothing to do to power the generator - just crank it up and make use of it - it's there for you, anytime, anywhere, even while driving. And, it's amazingly efficient and cost effective.
You can pay $30 to park somewhere, on their electricity. Or, you can spend $5 to $10 on fuel to run the generator, parking anywhere you wish. You can wake up in the morning after your generator has run as much as it needs to overnight, and you'll still probably not see any noticeable movement in the fuel gauge.

The generator is really just like a lawnmower engine, except instead of turning wheels and a blade, it turns a motor that turns that energy into 120volt power.
You crank it to use it. You shut it off when you're finished. And you might exercise it monthly if you have your coach in storage, just to keep it 'ready' for when you need it.

enjoy! : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
I agree! I didn't use ours the first year but sparingly. 2016 VEGAS. Then read someone commenting that " if the coach is hot going down the road, turn on the generator and be comfortable.,"

That really hit home with me, because the dogs don't like heat that much. And, like you said a quarter to half a gallon an hour (if that) is cheap comfort.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:11 AM   #9

THOR #14057
Ags

Our rig has an AGS. Our walk though tech showed and explained it to us. With all that was throw at us in the walk though, I need to review manuals.

Nice write up TurnerFam

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 03-23-2019, 03:17 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
...we started out full-timing, in our first ever RV, in a fairly new fifth-wheel bunkhouse 40' and a big dually diesel Ram pulling it... felt like I had to 'run out' and buy the Honda EU2000i and Companion generators 'just in case' I every needed them. I don't think I used them but once, and that was to test them : /
...traded in the fifth-wheel and truck combo for a brand new Georgetown XL. Quickly listed and sold the two Honda generators on craigslist, for not much less than we paid for them. And, I also don't know that in the several months we owned the new Georgetown that I ever once started it's generator : /

...traded in the George for our brand new diesel Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse coach - and even at first didn't know really what to 'make' of the generator...it was there, obviously, but not knowing much about them, I was still a little anxious in trying it out - thinking of it almost for only as a 'last resort' power source, to be used only 'sparingly', as though if you used it too much it might 'explode'(!) or something. Crazy, I know.

but, after a LOT of travel, which we didn't do much with the first two, I learned pretty quickly how great having a very capable generator can be... it's your lifeline for 120v power for those hungry roof air conditioners in the summer months, additional electric heaters in the winter months, both while traveling, and a great alternative to 'having' to always be 'hooked up' at an rv park or campground.
I also found that my initial aversion to running the generator was only because of my lack of knowledge of it's power, and easy usability, especially when you have a coach with an included AGS(automatic generator starter) to automatically start the generator to keep the House batteries charged.
Also, because the generator uses the same fuel tank as the main engine, there's nothing to do to power the generator - just crank it up and make use of it - it's there for you, anytime, anywhere, even while driving. And, it's amazingly efficient and cost effective.
You can pay $30 to park somewhere, on their electricity. Or, you can spend $5 to $10 on fuel to run the generator, parking anywhere you wish. You can wake up in the morning after your generator has run as much as it needs to overnight, and you'll still probably not see any noticeable movement in the fuel gauge.

The generator is really just like a lawnmower engine, except instead of turning wheels and a blade, it turns a motor that turns that energy into 120volt power.
You crank it to use it. You shut it off when you're finished. And you might exercise it monthly if you have your coach in storage, just to keep it 'ready' for when you need it.

enjoy! : )
I've been FTiming for 2 going on 3 months & have been leery of running my generator too. 1st, bc I didn't know if it guzzled gas the way my lp heater guzzles the onboard lp. 2nd, bc there was a little warning sign on my panel saying not to go to sleep with the generator running (& I'm not certain, but think I saw a similar warning in the warranty book?). I really appreciate your relating the story of your initial concerns! With summer coming up it's been a concern that I didn't know a good alternative to running my roof air conditioner. Since I can't plug in two small heaters at once, I was pretty sure I couldn't plug in a portable airconditioner like one I used in my previous very old house & could roll it from room to room. I've developed bad allergies in the past ten yrs while stuck on the east coast & started taking shots about 5 yrs ago. Since I'm ftiming now, I can't take my shots anymore. For me, that makes open windows & fans a no go anywhere that folks have planted a lot of bermuda rye grass (& it's pretty ubiquitous these days bc of its drought & humidity resistance). I'm going to go ahead & experiment w/how long I can run my own geni & air w/out wasting too much gas (thanks so much for the comparison to park hookups vs gas costs!). Wish me luck!
Old 03-23-2019, 05:32 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
I've been FTiming for 2 going on 3 months & have been leery of running my generator too. 1st, bc I didn't know if it guzzled gas the way my lp heater guzzles the onboard lp. 2nd, bc there was a little warning sign on my panel saying not to go to sleep with the generator running (& I'm not certain, but think I saw a similar warning in the warranty book?). I really appreciate your relating the story of your initial concerns! With summer coming up it's been a concern that I didn't know a good alternative to running my roof air conditioner. Since I can't plug in two small heaters at once, I was pretty sure I couldn't plug in a portable airconditioner like one I used in my previous very old house & could roll it from room to room. I've developed bad allergies in the past ten yrs while stuck on the east coast & started taking shots about 5 yrs ago. Since I'm ftiming now, I can't take my shots anymore. For me, that makes open windows & fans a no go anywhere that folks have planted a lot of bermuda rye grass (& it's pretty ubiquitous these days bc of its drought & humidity resistance). I'm going to go ahead & experiment w/how long I can run my own geni & air w/out wasting too much gas (thanks so much for the comparison to park hookups vs gas costs!). Wish me luck!

From what Ive read the gen uses 1/4 gal per hour no load and 1/2 with load. So imo thats not a lot of gas. I run my gen when ever needed and never worry about the gas

Plus the gen needs and loves to be run. Youll have more problems with it never running

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Our rig has an AGS. Our walk though tech showed and explained it to us. With all that was throw at us in the walk though, I need to review manuals.

Nice write up TurnerFam

Thanks
JJ
Turner is on top of it. 'nough said.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #13

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
From what Ive read the gen uses 1/4 gal per hour no load and 1/2 with load. So imo thats not a lot of gas. I run my gen when ever needed and never worry about the gas

Plus the gen needs and loves to be run. Youll have more problems with it never running

Jerry
Thx!
Old 03-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #14

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Been camping at race tracks in hot weather for years,start generator on Thursday both ac's on high don't shut down till Sunday night,90 hours straight never had a problem. The last motor home we traded in had over 2400hrs on generator,change oil n filter regularly,replaced 1 starter.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #15

THOR #14057
Seems OK

Quote:
I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks
JJ

Ran it today for 30 minutes. No issue.

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 03-31-2019, 04:09 AM   #16

State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Reset choke

99% of the time I go to start the generator (4000w Generac) it fails to start. The dealer told me to try starting it for a few seconds and if it doesn't start, hold the switch in OFF until the red light comes back on. That means it's resetting the choke for a start and then she usually fires right up.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:47 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
[QUOTE=Soldier Girl;173895 2nd, bc there was a little warning sign on my panel saying not to go to sleep with the generator running (& I'm not certain, but think I saw a similar warning in the warranty book?).![/QUOTE]Your generator must be in the basement under the bedroom I gather...
The reason is the rare chance for carbon monoxide entering the coach when parked..
The "cure" for when parked is to install (and use) a Ven-Turi system to direct the exhaust above the coach..
It's an easy setup and breakdown unit.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #18

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Your generator must be in the basement under the bedroom I gather...
The reason is the rare chance for carbon monoxide entering the coach when parked..
The "cure" for when parked is to install (and use) a Ven-Turi system to direct the exhaust above the coach..
It's an easy setup and breakdown unit.
Thanks! That helps. Another fix to add, though it already vents behind my rig near my emergency exit window.

Moving it up above the rig seems a good idea but has to get in line with all my other "honey do's" (w/no honey to pass 'em off to, lol!)...

Right now I'm more concerned w/two more issues - one that was already fixed once at cw & now it isn't again - my step once again has come off it's bolt, & doesn't want to realign & screw back in place, which means I have to bungee cord it up tight again to keep it safely above the road for travel.

The other issue is my air conditioner. I'm now using it for much of the day in my current location bc I have really bad allergies that prevent just opening my windows to the breeze. It seems to drip quite a bit of water when it's running (usually right over over my doorway & onto my head as I enter & exit, lol).

I'm not sure if that's the norm??? I know my car used to do the same type of dripping, but since I only saw that when leaving the vehicle after idling, I hadn't really worried about it. But this is different bc it's my home & my transportation, so now I'm concerned w/what's "normal"...?
Old 03-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
The Ac empties on the roof and water flows to the path of least resistance. just raise the front about a half inch and it will go another route.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:39 PM   #20

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
The Ac empties on the roof and water flows to the path of least resistance. just raise the front about a half inch and it will go another route.
Thx, that helps, but I'm still curious about what is "normal" for water run off. If it's supposed to always do this, I'm good to go, I just don't want to ignore any potential problems.