Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
Steering gear(box) mesh adjustment

A short while ago, a member posted that he had his steering adjusted as well as adding some other mods, maybe a Safety Plus also. I just saw it quickly and had something else pending and did not get back to it until now. I remember he said it made a difference in the steering maybe in the looseness we have in the steering.
Anyway, I would like to know if anyone has adjusted the gear mesh load on the steering gear box and if it made much difference in eliminating some of the play in steering?

I have the instructions on how to do it etc, but don't want to waste my time unless it will get some results. I cannot locate the post mentioning the gear box adjustment, so if you are reading this, I would appreciate your input.
Also, I will be glad print the instructions here if anyone wants to dig into it.
Thanks for any info

Old 08-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #2

Model: 29M Windsport
State: Georgia
THOR #12172
This may have have been the post your talking about, it is under Mods:

We have a 2017 Hurricane 29M and our suspension mods have been minimal. Started with loading, weighing and setting air pressure. Then CHF and Saf-T-Plus finished with front end alignment. All together we have spent $725.00. I wanted the alignment done last to 'true' up the other work. Had the alignment done at a Ford dealership that sells medium duty trucks. During the alignment process they replaced the steering box under warranty. The coach drives well on county roads, state highways and interstates. We are no longer pushed over by passing 18 wheelers and dips in the pavement are less noticeable but I have not driven it in crosswinds above 25 mph. It will never drive like my Nissan or Honda but the handling characteristics are now acceptable.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:20 AM   #3

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Been wondering which way to turn the screw on the steering box.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:39 AM   #4

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
There's usually a lock nut. Loosen it and then tighten the screw adjuster. Don't put a lot of force on it. You might even have somone else rock the steering wheel back and forth a little as you tighten the adjustment. Righty Tighty as usuall. Re tighten the lock nut without twisting the adjuster further. Take a test drive to see if it took the play out.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Below is the instructions for adjusting the steering gear for a 350 truck. I took a quick look yesterday under the hood and it looks like it may have to be accessed from under the front end. Not sure, but did not have time to look farther. Let us know how it goes.

Name:  Steering gear.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  6.3 KB
Steering Gear Meshload Adjustment

NOTE: The engine should not be running.
Turn the steering wheel to right lock, then to left lock at least once.

With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to vehicle Jacking and Lifting. See: Wheels and Tires\Vehicle Lifting
NOTE: The front wheels should not touch the ground.
Rotate the steering wheel to the left stop and then back to its centered position (approximately two turns from the stop).

Remove the power steering reservoir retainer and position the reservoir aside.
NOTE: If the meshload becomes too tight at any point, loosen the adjustment screw one full turn and readjust as necessary.
Adjust the meshload screw as follows:

Hold the meshload screw and loosen the locknut.
Adjust the meshload screw in one-eighth of a turn (45 degrees) increments only (clockwise to increase or counterclockwise to decrease meshload) to obtain proper steering feel.
Hold the meshload screw and tighten the locknut to 31 Nm (23 lb-ft).

Reposition the power steering reservoir and install the retainer.
Drive the vehicle (after each adjustment), rotating the steering wheel at least one turn in each direction during the test drive. Verify the steering feel is equivalent to other similar vehicles.
NOTE: Repeat Steps 5 - 8 as necessary until the steering feel is equivalent to other similar vehicles.
If the meshload is correct, proceed to Step 9.

If meshload is not correct, remove the power steering reservoir retainer and position the reservoir aside. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist and repeat Steps 5 - 8. For additional information, refer to vehicle Jacking and Lifting. See: Wheels and Tires\Vehicle Lifting

When the adjustment is complete, tighten the power steering retainer to 5 Nm (44 lb-in).
Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiptut View Post
This may have have been the post your talking about, it is under Mods:

We have a 2017 Hurricane 29M and our suspension mods have been minimal. Started with loading, weighing and setting air pressure. Then CHF and Saf-T-Plus finished with front end alignment. All together we have spent $725.00. I wanted the alignment done last to 'true' up the other work. Had the alignment done at a Ford dealership that sells medium duty trucks. During the alignment process they replaced the steering box under warranty. The coach drives well on county roads, state highways and interstates. We are no longer pushed over by passing 18 wheelers and dips in the pavement are less noticeable but I have not driven it in crosswinds above 25 mph. It will never drive like my Nissan or Honda but the handling characteristics are now acceptable.

Skip,
Why was the steering gear replaced, not a part that usually goes bad??
Old 08-25-2018, 12:56 AM   #7

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Thanks for the how to. It's been many years since I've had to adjust a steering box, and they were all Saginaws.