Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Wow - I cannot prove a negative. I can simply tell you what happened. I drew my conclusion - draw yours.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #22

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
No negative intended. Just making a point. There are many people that have NEVER driven anything like a motorhome and they try to educate themselves reading forums such as this. I read so many times how great all these suspension upgrades are but you can't rely on them in an emergency situation to end up as lucky as you were.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #23

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Dragon70 - the negative I meant was to reverse the situation without the stabilizer installed because I have not had a blowout without the part. I will also tell everyone that reads this I have driven thousands of miles in a Class A (about 45k) and 45 years ago drove a heavy equipment hauler for the US Army. So I am fairly experienced.

While I was contemplating the install, (as I indicated) I watched a few news clips of coaches that had blown a steering tire that ended catastrophically. When I installed the stabilizer it was an attempt to get all the help I could get if the worst should happen. I also mentally rehearsed (and continue to think through) what my actions would be if this should happen. Sure enough, it happened and my preparation (both equipment and mental) kicked in. Sequence was - tire blew, foot off gas, begin slowing maintaining control, pull to side of the road as far as possible, gentle brake - come to a stop. This all takes place in about 3 seconds!!! At about second #2, I realized no brakes!!! That is when I began the manual downshift combined with a gentle application of emergency brake.

There is little time to react. It is my belief that the stabilizer (and what others report) lessened the negative impact of the tire pulling to the side of the blowout. However, I also believe that with out my mental prep (and some help from my Guardian Angels) I probably wouldn't have done the downshift and emergency brake application as timely as I did.

So having only gone through the experience armed with the stabilizer, I would encourage anyone that asks it should be one of their first addons. BUT a stabilizer by itself isn't the whole answer. My loss of brakes is testament that if it can wrong it will - so prepare.

PS: I am a practicing Lutheran. Each time we leave on a trip, the last thing I do as we get underway is say a short prayer for steady hands and of thanks.

Not saying this is how everyone should prepare, just how we do.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon70 View Post
Not saying it didn't help but how can you say with any certainty that you would have not had the exact same result with no stabilizer?
Agree, it would take a lot of data. Single samples don't support conclusions because for all we know stabilizers "may" actually increase chance of crashes.

The scientific way to test the effectiveness of stabilizers being able to prevent (or reduce) loss of control would be to test a large sample, where half would have stabilizers and the other half don't. The sample size would have to be fairly large to be statistically significant since I expect few motorhomes would crash in the first place whether they had a stabilizer or not.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #25

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Dragon70 - the negative I meant was to reverse the situation without the stabilizer installed because I have not had a blowout without the part. I will also tell everyone that reads this I have driven thousands of miles in a Class A (about 45k) and 45 years ago drove a heavy equipment hauler for the US Army. So I am fairly experienced.

While I was contemplating the install, (as I indicated) I watched a few news clips of coaches that had blown a steering tire that ended catastrophically. When I installed the stabilizer it was an attempt to get all the help I could get if the worst should happen. I also mentally rehearsed (and continue to think through) what my actions would be if this should happen. Sure enough, it happened and my preparation (both equipment and mental) kicked in. Sequence was - tire blew, foot off gas, begin slowing maintaining control, pull to side of the road as far as possible, gentle brake - come to a stop. This all takes place in about 3 seconds!!! At about second #2, I realized no brakes!!! That is when I began the manual downshift combined with a gentle application of emergency brake.

There is little time to react. It is my belief that the stabilizer (and what others report) lessened the negative impact of the tire pulling to the side of the blowout. However, I also believe that with out my mental prep (and some help from my Guardian Angels) I probably wouldn't have done the downshift and emergency brake application as timely as I did.

So having only gone through the experience armed with the stabilizer, I would encourage anyone that asks it should be one of their first addons. BUT a stabilizer by itself isn't the whole answer. My loss of brakes is testament that if it can wrong it will - so prepare.

PS: I am a practicing Lutheran. Each time we leave on a trip, the last thing I do as we get underway is say a short prayer for steady hands and of thanks.

Not saying this is how everyone should prepare, just how we do.
Your last two comments also work for me too, although I am not a Lutheran. Glad you made it to tell us about your experience.