Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #11122
Steps Not Working

So My stairs won't go in and out on my 2016 Miramar.

I flipped the switch, I tried with the ignition on and off, I crawled underneath and the light comes on when you open the door and off when you close the door so there must be power and the sensor must be working.

There are no fuses at the motor so I went to the fuse panel under the bed but didn't see anything marked "Door" or Stairs"...

Please help I'm so frustrated!! What can it be??

Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: New York
THOR #10579
What year and model is your coach?
Old 03-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnschnit View Post
What year and model is your coach?
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:45 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #10579
Geez, Don't know how I didn't catch that in your original post, sorry. My wiring diagrams are for an ACE so they won't be to much help I don' think.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:49 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Any of us could miss something like that (and I often do! ).
Blame it on grabbing the wrong glasses...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
What happens when you start the motorhome? They should retract if the RV is running and the door is closed, no matter whether the "step switch" is on or off. The step operates on the chassis battery, not the coach battery.

If the coach starts and the steps don't retract I would think it has to be the wiring harness connecting the motor for the steps. I'm not sure, but I think the light goes out when setting the "store/use" switch to "store", so I believe the light works from the coach battery.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #7

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
disconnect the engine battery and reconnect.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:40 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #6509
I just replaced the step motor on my Hurricane. The steps would work sometimes and not others. I had ruled out the wiring harness and fuses using the procedures from the Kwikee Step site. In my case I think the motor windings had a dead spot which prevented the step motor from working if it landed on the dead spot the last time it ran. The motor is available on Amazon. It's fairly easy to swap out with only three bolts to remove. You might have a similar problem. There may be an issue with these motors since the dealer replaced my steps previously via a recall.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #9

THOR #2352
Our Steps Are Stuck in the Closed Position

The battery is charged, but the steps won't go out when the door opens.
This is a 2016 Siesta Sprinter.
What should we try?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #10

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
The RV steps typically get power from the chassis battery. Lippert bought both Power Equipment (jacks etc.) and Kwikee Step in 2014 so there are probably a mixed bag of step types out there. I expect that the operation though is probably similar. There is a good hyperlink to Kwikee step models and schematics and troubleshooting procedures that may help.

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exteri...svc_manual.pdf

Careful working on steps when they are powered in case of accidental deployment. Probably better to work on them with chassis (and coach) power turned off once you prove that you are getting power to the step OK. I would then check the step ground wire connections to ensure they are tight and clean. It also may be good to pull apart the wiring connector under the step and ensure clean terminals and then reconnect to ensure tight connections. Use the Kwikee troubleshooter procedures about half way through the Kwikee PDF document if you can match your steps to one of their models.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 37.4
THOR #7274
I had issues that were resolved by replacing the barrel magnet at the bottom of the door....my steps would sometimes come out, sometimes not...sometimes simply keep going in and out 2 or 3 inches...but always went in if ignition came on and door was closed
Old 06-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 34.1
THOR #4503
Steps not working

Had similar problem last week. Found wire was pinched under door frame on the inside near bottom step. Wire was nicked and apparently was grounding out. Pulled wire out from under door frame and taped. Working fine now.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 34.2
THOR #12192
I read the thread because I had the same problem (steps won't deploy). So, I went out, started it up and they started working.... What the heck?? I wish I knew what happened. I don't trust blind luck!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I have had the step motor fail because it collected so much dirt. Once had to pull the motor and clean it, which got it going. It is located, unfortunately, in a location that is exposed to continuous flying road debris as you drive.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37yt
THOR #9133
I had exact same situation on my 2017 Challenger 37YT. Parked the coach, and steps would not deploy. WTH?? Checked all fuses, breakers and step switch positition. Amber step light would go on when doors open. So power is there. Moved the motorhome to a different position to load for upcoming trip, and POOF!, the steps deployed and works normal now. Didnt do anything other than move coach to a new spot. Wonder if having the coach on uneven gravel could cause them to "bind"? Anyone else have this problem that just fixes itself when moving the coach to a new parked position? Sounds common to alot of folks.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #16

Model: Challenger 37yt
THOR #9133
Unhappy Windshield leaking water inside

Hello again. Ever since purchase from the dealer, I have had water streaking down inside of windshield when washing the coach. No power sprayer, just garden hose. Took it to the dealer for repairs (ya right...) and thought is was fixed until giving it another wash. AND, this morning when I went inside the coach to load for upcoming trip, a slight water streak was again sliding down the inside of windshield. Have appointment to bring back to dealer for another attempt at sealing the windshield, or applying sealer to top cap area. You would think a dealer would test their repair with water hose PRIOR to telling customer the leak is fixed. VERY Frustrating taking coach back to service dept. for same problem. Well, let me know what leak you had, and what steps were taken to repair the leak. Guess I have to tell the service dept how to do their job and fix my issue. Thanks again....sorry to be negative, but I know some of you feel this way too. Cheers!!!
Gunner Bob
Old 07-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that their Service Department is actually performing a Disservice to you...
Good luck in getting them to fix it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 PM   #18

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc View Post

I flipped the switch, I tried with the ignition on and off, I crawled underneath and the light comes on when you open the door and off when you close the door so there must be power and the sensor must be working.

There are no fuses at the motor so I went to the fuse panel under the bed but didn't see anything marked "Door" or Stairs"...

Please help I'm so frustrated!! What can it be??

Having the identical issue in my ’16 Miramar. Is your problem resolved? Did you locate the fuse for the steps? With door open, the light is on underneath the steps, so the steps should be extended. Very puzzling. Ken
Old 07-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #19
CSR

Model: Aria 3901
State: Minnesota
THOR #6177
How we fixed our steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
Having the identical issue in my ’16 Miramar. Is your problem resolved? Did you locate the fuse for the steps? With door open, the light is on underneath the steps, so the steps should be extended. Very puzzling. Ken
We had the same thing happen with our steps several times last fall. Every now and then the step motor sticks, especially after a cold evening. Apparently this is a common problem. To fix it, we lightly tap the motor a few times with a mallet or the back end of hammer. Not too hard, but just enough to knock it loose. Works every time.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:06 AM   #20

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR View Post
We had the same thing happen with our steps several times last fall. Every now and then the step motor sticks, especially after a cold evening. Apparently this is a common problem. To fix it, we lightly tap the motor a few times with a mallet or the back end of hammer. Not too hard, but just enough to knock it loose. Works every time.

Located my fuse box with no issue or with ground. I will follow your advice. Thank you for your instructions.