Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
THOR #1006
steps not working on 2018 ACE 30.2

Recently purchased a 2018 ACE 30.2 and the steps have quit retracting. Worked fine until we were ready to pull out for our first trip. Would not go in, light doesn't work either so I'm assuming there is no power to the steps. Sound right? Thought I would check here for answers before I take it back to the dealer. Might be something simple. Any ideas?

Bill

Old 08-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Quote:
Originally Posted by skag101 View Post
Recently purchased a 2018 ACE 30.2 and the steps have quit retracting. Worked fine until we were ready to pull out for our first trip. Would not go in, light doesn't work either so I'm assuming there is no power to the steps. Sound right? Thought I would check here for answers before I take it back to the dealer. Might be something simple. Any ideas?

Bill
I don't have an Ace, but a previous RV I had had retracting steps, and there was a switch just inside the door that had to be on for the steps to retract.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
It has been several years since we have had power steps...however, if I remember correctly...there is a switch.
and....also, ours would not extend or retract if the engine was running...like the slide...it will not work if keys are in ignition.
Now, only if they would incorporate that into the antenna !! Which we don't have to worry about any longer now that we have a King Jack !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well typically steps are powered from the chassis battery so if no power is suspected then make sure the chassis battery is connected (on) if you have a separate chassis battery disconnect like I do on my 2013 ACE. Make sure the connector under the steps is securely plugged into the unit and there are no obvious jams in the mechanism (take care with head and fingers when you are under there). Check the alignment of the magnet and step door sensor so when the door is closed that position is sensed. Any stair retraction when you start the coach? My 2013 ACE uses the RV Custom Products BCC mounted in the engine bay; ……there are fuses in that (Battery Control) BCC for the steps, but I don’t think Thor uses that BCC on newer ACE coaches…..but I am not sure.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo
State: Maryland
THOR #12599
You've probably already solved this, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

This could indeed be an electrical problem.

Wired correctly, the electric steps should retract if you start the coach, even if the step on/off switch is off. That switch should only stop retraction when the engine is off, so you don't wear out your little step motor while at a camp site.

I've had electric steps stop working due to lack of lubrication, but a 2018 should not have that problem yet. In that case, I had to grease the worm gear drive at the motor output, and then it was good as new.

I've also had a step motor fail entirely on an older 90's RV (FYI - the motor was an automotive window motor that you can get from an auto parts store) but again that should not be a problem in such a new RV.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2018, 02:17 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
Get down and look underneath and make sure no wires are hanging. I JD some very fine wires butt spliced to larger wires and they pulled out of the splice. My steps were out and would not retract at all.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #7

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Steps

I had a 2016 ACE 29.3 and multiple issues with steps not working. Each time it was with door magnets. Sometimes magnet broken and sometimes just out of adjustment. Use a magnet to check operation.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #8

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
When our steps stopped working it turned out to be the fuse, which was located in the engine compartment.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
You have some great suggestions. When the steps weren't working on my previous coach, it was always the ground wire not making connection. I finally relocated it and that stopped the recurring problem.

Another selling point for the Vegas/Axis, no power steps!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:33 AM   #10

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Not to hijack your thread but this weekend my step started making a buzzer or vibration noise for maybe 3 seconds after it deploys. No noise coming in. Just after it fully extends. Every time now. Any ideas?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:52 PM   #11

Model: Synergy
State: Arizona
THOR #12461
steps not working on 2018 ACE 30.2

Mr Sunshine, be thankful that your steps go in and out. I would take that even if it does make a noise. The buzzing noise that you hear sounds as though your motor is still trying to drive. That sounds as though it’s going to take a tech to either adjusted or replace a component of the unit.We have a SD 24 Synergy, that the steps take spells of the first working and then not working. Currently it’s in the “not working faze”, so I believe it’s going to go back to the dealer.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:21 PM   #12

Model: Synergy
State: Arizona
THOR #12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebills View Post
Mr Sunshine, be thankful that your steps go in and out. I would take that even if it does make a noise. The buzzing noise that you hear sounds as though your motor is still trying to drive. That sounds as though it’s going to take a tech to either adjusted or replace a component of the unit.We have a SD 24 Synergy, that the steps take spells of the first working and then not working. Currently it’s in the “not working faze”, so I believe it’s going to go back to the dealer.

Received our coach back from the dealer. This is simply an update to the problem of our steps not going in and out after having the coach for only several months. The dealer had to replace the motor that drives the step system. This is with news on the coach that we’ve had since we purchased it in June 2018. The proviso to this though, is that I believe they had this model on several sales floors since late 2017. And the door might’ve had numerous openings and closures prior to our purchasing the coach.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:51 PM   #13

State: Ohio
THOR #15559
Arrow Thor Steps Failure

There is a control unit and major cable connect under the step that is prone to fail do to water intrusion. The design is poor. The location is terrible. All the road spray from the right front wheel is jetted right onto this sensitive electrical component. Mine needed to be replaced after only about 1,000 miles on the coach. So far the new one seems to be better sealed than the original.

Thor ACE 20.3
Old 06-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I can tell from personal experience, the step motor is not designed to carry any weight. NEVER step on to them until they are extended fully and locked into position. That is also why they need to be kept well lubricated...to reduce resistance.

I took my motorhome in to have the oil changed and the service man didn't wait for them to full extend before stepping on them. When I picked up the coach, the steps wouldn't extend. They hung about an inch from being fully retracted. Of course they denied any error on their part.

Since I have the extended warranty I took it in for repair and was told that is the most common problem for premature failure. I have a 2016 Miramar.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:32 AM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye7756 View Post
There is a control unit and major cable connect under the step that is prone to fail do to water intrusion. The design is poor. The location is terrible. All the road spray from the right front wheel is jetted right onto this sensitive electrical component. Mine needed to be replaced after only about 1,000 miles on the coach. So far the new one seems to be better sealed than the original.

Thor ACE 20.3
Also the bloody cotter pin is very flimsy & rusts out in ice treated roads. I've had two disintegrate so far & this time it caused the step to deploy while moving. It caused it to bend enough to make it no longer capable of fully retracting. I finally got it into cw for a 3rd repair/replacement of that stupid cotter pin & this time was told that only the cotter pin itself is warranty covered that I was responsible for the damage its disintegration caused - they want nearly $400 to replace the step! I'm a very unhappy camper right now...
Old 02-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #18054
2017 Thor 30.1 steps weren’t working found a relay under the hood on the passenger side tripped reset and steps worked fine.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #17

State: Florida
THOR #24648
Red face Old - but what I found

I know this is an older thread, but thought what I found may help another user.

My step would not open...

- Based on what I read, and the Thor schematics I checked the front drivers side fuze box and looked at fuse F3.

I pulled it out and it was not blown, but I noticed it seemed to be sticking out further than it should...

Using the fuse puller I tried to reinsert it but it was loose and not sitting right compared to the others. So, using my fingers and a really contorted body position I pushed and pushed until it went in and fully seated.

Then put the key in ignition and switched on (not started) and then off (no clue if this matters). Then checked the step ! YAHOO! Working perfectly.

Best I can tell - fuse was only connecting some times... so the step would not open if it wasn't connecting.