Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #11100
Steps not working/fixed

I thought I would share this experience with my steps. We were getting ready to leave for a 2 week trip to Northern Michigan, all loaded up ready to go, I flip the switch activating the steps, close the door and....... nothing. The steps wont retract. Great!!! Long story short, removed the pin, manually retracted the steps, tied them up with a zip tie and were off. Got to Michigan spent hrs of my vacation time trying to figure out if fuses were blown, was there power to the circuit, etc, etc. I took the connector (shown in the pic) apart and water literally poured out of it!! Dried it out and just let it sit open for days, the undercarriage light started working after a few days and finally after about 10 days of drying out I reconnected it and low an behold the steps are working again. I sealed up the connector real good, hopefully Ill have no more problems. If anyone has a similar problem after a rainstorm, dry out the connector and see if that does the trick, it may take a while to dry out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Connector.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	13081  

HatrackRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:42 AM   #2

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Try some contact cleaner. Used to use to when I was working for cleaning connectors on snow equipment. You might try WD-40,it was developed of water displacement.