Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #6090
Sticky Lock

We have some sticky locks on a couple of our outside compartments. These are the locks you turn, not the ones that require a key. I'm unable to open one of our compartments even though I can use the key to unlock it, I can't get the other lock to turn. Any suggestions how I can resolve this issue. We have a 2016 Vegas 24.1

Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Spray the mechanism with penetrating oil and try to jiggle it, wait a while and repeat, you may have to do this several times to get it loose. After a couple times spraying oil tap on the lock with the plastic end of a screwdriver, eventually it will come loose. Most likely corrosion inside the lock, the penetrating oil will work it loose.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:28 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Locks

Had the same thing happen not long after we took delivery of our '16 24.1 Axis. It was the outside television compartment. I sprayed penetrant on it, let it sit and jiggled it. Eventually it opened. Just because, I took the lock completely apart and there was some slight corrosion which just wiped off. If you do this, go slow! There is a spring and a small ball bearing inside. I put it back together and put some silicone jell lubricant on the internal parts. These are obviously mass produced and you can buy replacements off the shelf.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:13 AM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
DO NOT use any lubricant that dirt will stick to (WD40, penetrating oil), use silicone spray or if that's not handy use Pledge furniture polish. Use Pledge on all rubber seals throughout the rv.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:28 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Yes, I did use silicone spray first....
Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
DO NOT use any lubricant that dirt will stick to (WD40, penetrating oil), use silicone spray or if that's not handy use Pledge furniture polish. Use Pledge on all rubber seals throughout the rv.
I agree with not using anything that will attract and hold dirt but Axis needs to use penetrating oil to get the lock freed up first. The oil will eventually wick down to the corrosion and get the lock free, then you can use silicone for regular maintenance. The rubber seals do get sticky, silicone, pledge, armor all or anything similar wiped on the seals stops them from sticking.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #7

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Sticky locks & Openers?

Silicone works by displacing any moisture present with silicone molecules that provide a barrier between moving parts (lubricating then). The next better step is graphite. It won't run off and out of a lock assembly as easily as silicone. Best way to apply it is putting it on a key then inserting the key and working the lock a number of times followed by using a Qtip or small brush to apply some to the mechanical parts inside the door. A tiny bit will go a very long way so use sparingly. Available at auto parts stores, WalMart, Kmart.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers
A tiny bit will go a very long way so use sparingly.
Also use sparingly because it makes a huge mess and is difficult to clean up! LOL (Frequently used graphite on Scout's Pine Cars.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote