Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Still fighting water leak in slide

I have had our Miramar back to the dealer 3 times for this water leak. They can't fix it and the last time said they couldn't even find the leak. We took a trip this weekend and, sure enough, it rained. When we got to the RV park, my wife stuck some thin cardboard between the slide ceiling and the valance cover over the blinds. It rained pretty good the first night. When we got up the next morning, she pulled out the cardboard and it was wet. Here are the before and after pictures.

Cardboard placement.

Next morning after the rain.

It's like the water slowly weeps into the corner. In the first picture, you can see the water stains on the valance so it's been leaking here for some time.

After awhile, the water gets into the top of the window frame and starts dripping on the inside of the window. In the following picture, you can see the blue tape on the window right below where the water is dripping from the frame. I also tapped a paper towel to the window to catch the water. You can see the brown stain from the water on the towel.

We kept putting more cardboard between the ceiling and valance to try and soak up the water. I have calked about everything I can outside and I can't figure out where the leak is coming from. Camping world supposedly took out each bolt that holds in the slide topper and caulked each bolt before they reinstalled the bolts. They also caulked around the window frame. I don't think the window is leaking as it doesn't seem to leak when the slide is retracted. Although the only time it has rained with the slide retracted is when the motorhome is being driven as the motorhome is stored in a garage when not in use.

I really need to get this fixed and I am starting to worry about long term water damage. If anyone has any ideas on how to repair this leak, please give me some advice as I am not taking it back to the dealer again.

I know that sometimes Thor reads these forums so if they have any advice, please contact me. I'm about at my wits end trying to get this fixed. I can't enjoy using the motor home since I am always worried about it raining.

Burch

Old 09-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Don’t wait on Thor to possibly read about your dilemma contact them directly! Others on this forum have done so with good results. They also have a factory service center in Wakarusa In. I am told they do exceptional work.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #3

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Don’t wait on Thor to possibly read about your dilemma contact them directly! Others on this forum have done so with good results. They also have a factory service center in Wakarusa In. I am told they do exceptional work.

I'm located in Florida so taking the motor home to Indiana is not an option. I just want to get it fixed. I have contacted another dealer about 100 miles away that has a good reputation but I'd really like to fix this myself if I can. I just don't know where else to look outside.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Thor owners only toll free number 877.855.2867. Have your VIN number when you call. Give them a call explain your problem and they can advise what to check. May save a 100 miles trip to the other dealer
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
I'm located in Florida so taking the motor home to Indiana is not an option. I just want to get it fixed. I have contacted another dealer about 100 miles away that has a good reputation but I'd really like to fix this myself if I can. I just don't know where else to look outside.
An RV Dealer (or preferably: the Factory!): has a vast amount of experience with finding and fixing water leaks. Unless you want to wait until you've got a soft wall or floor: take it to someone competent.
Ideally: it would be the Wakarusa repair shop...

Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #6

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
I feel for you. I am going through the same thing. We have a 37.1. The passenger slide has been leaking since day one. It's been to 2 different dealers multiple times. They can't figure it out. I have an appointment at the factory this month on the 18th.

I have been doing my own troubleshooting. I actually have video of it dripping inside the MH from the bottom of the slide itself. I like you have caulked every place I can see. Mine leaks open or closed so I am thinking it is from the outside somewhere.

Yours seems to be from the top of the slide. There are only a couple of spots it can come from up there. After it rains do you have water puddled anywhere on top of your slide? How does the tape look that the factory applied over the joint where the roof and side piece of the slide attaches? Mine was in pretty sad shape. I would say it isn't your window as the leak seems to be above the window.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I'm all about the factory trip but that's your call. I made the trip last December with excellent results and never looked back. Other that that, get a couple rolls of Glad "Press-N-Seal" and start working on different areas. It looks to me, from the cardboard stains, as if it's the "tri-corner" where the two sides meet the top. Wrap that area kinda like the corner of a Christmas present and press it real tight, sealing the outside edges of the material...this stuff is a great water seal. If that doesn't stop it, continue wrapping along the top edge, rearward. Also, I wouldn't trust that the screws from the topper were actually removed and resealed as they said. They are a prime candidate as they right are in the leak area. It may involve removing the topper and reseal everything in those areas you can't reach with the topper there. It can only be the seals of the 3 sides of the slide or the topper screws. Possibly the screws get pulled away a tad when the topper is extended...from a loose or bored out screw hole.

Lastly...as MJ advised...get Thor involved. They are outstanding.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree on the advice about the "topper screws": never trust anything!
Old 09-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #9

THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I'm all about the factory trip but that's your call.

Lastly...as MJ advised...get Thor involved. They are outstanding.

I work full time 50+ hours a week so unless I take a vacation to Indiana, the factory trip isn't going to happen. I am 1,100 miles away.

I will send these pictures to Thor and see what they say. I do believe that the slide topper might need to be taken off. The slide is 12-13' long and there is no way to see the entire top of the slide roof with the topper in the way. I am going to get the motor home out of my storage garage and look at that corner again this weekend.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good luck!
Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #11

THOR #11130
I wish you the best...only thing worse than a leaking motorhome is a snoring wife! Hope none of them are online now...or back to the doghouse for me.

I do believe it's in the corner...do the plastic wrap thing and sprinkle lightly with hose...simulating rain.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #12

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Maybe I am looking at this wrong but it seems if the screws on the topper were to blame, the leak would actually go down the inside of the slide wall and then come out the bottom of the slide. The slide topper screws are one location I am suspecting for my leak as mine is in the slide and exiting the bottom. The topper is screwed into the side of the slide if it's like mine. I would be more inclined to believe it is from the top of the slide as the water is coming out at the top but that's just my opinion.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I wish you the best...only thing worse than a leaking motorhome is a snoring wife! Hope none of them are online now...or back to the doghouse for me.

I do believe it's in the corner...do the plastic wrap thing and sprinkle lightly with hose...simulating rain.
Welcome to my World...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1567536828
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95701178-frustrated-man-laying-in-doghouse.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	20036  
Old 09-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #14

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
Maybe I am looking at this wrong but it seems if the screws on the topper were to blame, the leak would actually go down the inside of the slide wall and then come out the bottom of the slide. The slide topper screws are one location I am suspecting for my leak as mine is in the slide and exiting the bottom. The topper is screwed into the side of the slide if it's like mine. I would be more inclined to believe it is from the top of the slide as the water is coming out at the top but that's just my opinion.

I agree...that's why I suggested using the sticky food wrap stuff to start wrapping different areas along the "tri-corner" area. It's hard to inspect the seam where the slide top meets the slide side as long as the topper is attached...could be along that seam close to the front corner. Not much else it could be. Unless someone has removed the topper and inspected that seam underneath it, it's a very hard area to gain access to.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #15

THOR #6451
I reached out to Thor about my leak. I told them Camping World couldn't fix the issue. They suggested taking it to another dealer that is actually local to me. This dealer sells Miramars and I tried to give them the first shot when we were shopping but I had a negative experience with them. They are now under new ownership now so I called them this morning.

They told me they were backed up with motorhomes that were leaking and that they hadn't been successful at fixing the leaks so they were sending motorhomes back to the factory to be repaired! They then told me to call Thor. I explained to them that I had reached out to Thor and Thor told me to bring it to their dealership. The tech then told me I should just call a mobile repair tech. What a waste of time! I am going to bring the motorhome to my house this weekend and try caulking every place I can see. If I wouldn't lose my butt ($$$) I would trade this in on something else. I can't enjoy using it now as every trip I worry about rain.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I feel your pain. I had a leak on my Hurricane by the drivers A pillar. It took a couple of rain storms before I narrowed it down and hopefully fixed it for good.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgator View Post
I reached out to Thor about my leak. I told them Camping World couldn't fix the issue. They suggested taking it to another dealer that is actually local to me. This dealer sells Miramars and I tried to give them the first shot when we were shopping but I had a negative experience with them. They are now under new ownership now so I called them this morning.
They told me they were backed up with motorhomes that were leaking and that they hadn't been successful at fixing the leaks so they were sending motorhomes back to the factory to be repaired! They then told me to call Thor. I explained to them that I had reached out to Thor and Thor told me to bring it to their dealership. The tech then told me I should just call a mobile repair tech...
You must be feeling about like a "Hot potato; in a room full of sensitive hands..."
Customer Service?
Old 09-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Find a service center that has a SealTech machine which will expose all the potential leaks. Testing costs about 2 maybe 3 labor hours. Once you know where the leak is stopping further water intrusion is easy. With a bit of luck there water damage isn't much and you don't get a delamination bubble in the sidewall.

https://rvleaks.com/

If you're a DIY type person I've seen Youtube videos of owners who build a tester using leaf blowers to build up pressure in the coach for soap bubble testing.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #19

THOR #6451
I am going to give it one last shot. I have been fighting this leak for a year now. The good thing is I store the motorhome indoors so it doesn't get rained on often. If I can't get this fixed this next time, it will be time to say goodbye to the Miramar. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Newmar until we went to the Tampa RV show and saw the Miramar. I absolutely love the Miramar but I can't enjoy using it when I am constantly worried about it leaking. I should have just kept my inexpensive travel trailer. I never had these kinds of problems in 7 years of ownership.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #20

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
I gonna take a WAG here. I would be looking at the RV side of the slide roof. Leaking some place at the coach and getting in the ceiling space and running out to the slide wall. I think if you put a level on the slide roof or slide ceiling that it has a slight drop to the outside edge.