Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #8117
still having radio problems

Hi all

Did a little research in the coach and I am still trying to find out why the dash radio/clock doesn't work when I am plugged into shore power and use/store switch is in store position.

If I switch to use position the radio comes on and plays. It shuts off is I switch to store position.

I also found out that the dash 12 volt power outlets don't work if the chassis battery is disconnected. (I have been disconnecting the chassis battery and connect it to a maintainer when I am long term in one spot). And no, the radio doesn't work when the chassis battery is connected either. I usually connect the chassis battery, start and run the engine once a month. This time I looked at the radio and it was not working with the engine running.

Am I doing something wrong????

Bob

Old 07-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
That's the way they are wired, mine works the same way.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Everything Thor installed in the front cap is powered by the chassis battery except the radio. The radio memory is powered by the chassis battery. Both radios are powered by the coach batteries. There is a main circuit breaker by the chassis battery for the Thor stuff. The cap fuse panel is down by the drivers left foot. The electrical wiring diagram for your coach is available from Thor Motor Coach.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzeiler View Post
Hi all

Am I doing something wrong????

Bob
No your not!
Old 07-25-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Hi all

Did a little research in the coach and I am still trying to find out why the dash radio/clock doesn't work when I am plugged into shore power and use/store switch is in store position.

If I switch to use position the radio comes on and plays. It shuts off is I switch to store position.
When you are plugged in to shore power - the switch should be set to 'use'... Primarily to allow the house batteries to be charged...
I would expect however, that the radio would get power from the converter when plugged in... Do other 12v items work on the converter when in 'store'?

Quote:
I also found out that the dash 12 volt power outlets don't work if the chassis battery is disconnected. (I have been disconnecting the chassis battery and connect it to a maintainer when I am long term in one spot). And no, the radio doesn't work when the chassis battery is connected either. I usually connect the chassis battery, start and run the engine once a month. This time I looked at the radio and it was not working with the engine running.
The chassis battery should be charged by the converter as well (again - switch to 'use'...) Should be no need to disconnect the chassis or use a separate maintainer... and yes - the chassis does provide power to the 12v outlets in the dash...
No issue when things are working properly...

If you are having issues with batteries (house and/or chassis) not charging when plugged in and switch is in 'use' - then we have a problem to chase...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #6

THOR #8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
When you are plugged in to shore power - the switch should be set to 'use'... Primarily to allow the house batteries to be charged...
I would expect however, that the radio would get power from the converter when plugged in... Do other 12v items work on the converter when in 'store'?

The chassis battery should be charged by the converter as well (again - switch to 'use'...) Should be no need to disconnect the chassis or use a separate maintainer... and yes - the chassis does provide power to the 12v outlets in the dash...
No issue when things are working properly...

If you are having issues with batteries (house and/or chassis) not charging when plugged in and switch is in 'use' - then we have a problem to chase...
Hi

When I am plugged into shore power and the coach battery is in store, everything 12 volts works fine. Lights, TV etc. No radio/clock though.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #7

THOR #8117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Everything Thor installed in the front cap is powered by the chassis battery except the radio. The radio memory is powered by the chassis battery. Both radios are powered by the coach batteries. There is a main circuit breaker by the chassis battery for the Thor stuff. The cap fuse panel is down by the drivers left foot. The electrical wiring diagram for your coach is available from Thor Motor Coach.
I briefly looked by the drivers seat left side and found a fuse box. But I don't know what I am looking for???? Can you help and/or is there a diagram of the fuse layout?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #8

THOR #8117
Thanks for some of the help. I recall in other posts, folks talked about the Jensen dash radio having a blank screen and not going on. They suggested the only way to solve the problem is by removing the radio from the dash, disconnecting it for a couple of days and then reconnecting.

I don't know how to remove the radio. They also posted picture of the dash cowling (the wood trim surrounding the radio with space for the air conditioning/heater controls). I don't know how to remove that either. Or if it's really necessary.

I would much rather find a blown fuse or circuit breaker since the radio does go on when the coach batteries are in use position. I don't know where to look for fuses or circuit breakers.

By the way, I didn't mention it earlier but I have a 2014 ACE.

Bob
Old 07-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
Quote:

I would much rather find a blown fuse or circuit breaker since the radio does go on when the coach batteries are in use position. I don't know where to look for fuses or circuit breakers.

Bob
Bob,

When you are using the RV, put the switch in USE position. If the radio works when you switch to USE, then it is working correctly! You only need to switch to STORE if you aren't going to be using the RV for awhile.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:23 PM   #10

THOR #8117
Today I ventured to do some further research.

I switched to use to see if the radio comes on. Nothing happened except you hear the relay click. I am plugged into shore electric and other 12volt systems seem to be working; lights, TV etc.

But no radio????