Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #5357
Store waste hose in bumper?

Hello forum,

We just purchased a Thor Freedom Elite 29FE from CW. The salesman pointed out that we could store our waste hose in the rear bumper by removing the plastic end cap. I don't see how this is possible. We purchased the RhinoFLEX Swivel RV Sewer Kit and it doesn't fit. The connectors on each end are too wide. I didn't see any way to remove the connectors from the hose unless I missed how that's done.

We don't have a lot of space and I really don't like storing the waste hose in the same location as where we keep our chairs.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
The hollow rear bumpers are designed for sewer hose storage, but you can certainly store different stuff in there instead. If the sewer kit you bought has too large of end caps then buy a large high quality plastic container and keep all sewer hoses and attachments in that. We have always used a square plastic tub for this and stored in bottom compartment. I just make sure my hoses are washed out good and every once and awhile I use a bleach water solution to rinse them and clean the tub.

Is there other things you could use the hollow storage bumper for? Like a long handle pole for washing your rig?
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Unfortunately the bumper storage will not accept ALL hoses. You will either have to get a different hose or select somewhere else to store it. Don't know how much room you have where your tank valves are, but I kinda wind my hose around the bay where the valves are. If you don't have a bay then one more option is to buy 6" pvc pipe with fittings for caps and attach it above or below your bumper. Don't feel bad, lots of people have purchased sewer hoses only to discover they don't fit in bumper!
Old 09-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Inside the bumper just wears holes in the hoses, I stored long wash brush handles & flag pole in mine.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #5

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
This is interesting. I have purchased a storage hose bumper and plan on swapping out my cheap 5MPH one (*) for it next month. The hope was that it would be stronger and free up a basement. I'd like to hear more about everyone's experience.

(*) When I first bought my RV, I was practicing backing up and a tree jumped out and bit the rear bumper.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #6

THOR #5357
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
(*) When I first bought my RV, I was practicing backing up and a tree jumped out and bit the rear bumper.
I love this! LOL. I wish we had a backup sensor monitor that beeps. The camera is ok but these trees can really jump!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Some of the trees are mean, they are always wanting to either get in the way or fall on a coach!!! Pesky devils!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
On our last 5th wheel we wanted to carry extra sewer hose so I went to Lowe's and purchased a 8' white PVC fence post sleeve along with two end caps. Mounted it on the side of fiver down low. Ended up buying a second section of post sleeve, cutting it into 2 pieces in order to make two "U" shape sections 8' long. I use those for supporting long sewer line runs over uneven ground.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #9

State: Illinois
THOR #5290
I've been storing my hose in the bumper since I bought the coach this year. I bought end caps that screens and not holes as I found some bees in the bumper. I have had no ptoblems. My hose has a detachable right angle and just fits.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordog View Post
Hello forum,

We just purchased a Thor Freedom Elite 29FE from CW. The salesman pointed out that we could store our waste hose in the rear bumper by removing the plastic end cap. I don't see how this is possible. We purchased the RhinoFLEX Swivel RV Sewer Kit and it doesn't fit. The connectors on each end are too wide. I didn't see any way to remove the connectors from the hose unless I missed how that's done.

We don't have a lot of space and I really don't like storing the waste hose in the same location as where we keep our chairs.
We have the RhinoFLEX and store it in the bumper. The 90 degree elbow does have to be removed though. I put caps on the end of the hoses. May have to rotate the ends a bit to get them to fit. but they do go in.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I have stored my waste hoses in my bumper for years without any problem. I rinse the hose out and them compress it while holding it vertically to drain it well. Never have seen any sign of excess wear.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
I store my Rhino flex in bumper, no problem and the 90 goes in, do not have to remove anything.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #13

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordog View Post
Hello forum,

We have a 2016 Freedom Elite 29FE. We purchased a Dominator sewer hose kit from Camping World. It came with 2 hoses that can be attached together (for longer distance) but we've only needed to use one so far. It also has the clear elbow, which is great to see when the tank has stopped flowing. We store the hose in our bumper and store the elbow in a small plastic container in the large storage compartment.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We were trying to figure out a good spot for our rhino flex and discovered that it would fit in the compartment with the black and grey piped. The hose and extension fits great, and keeps all the unmentionables in one spot.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:52 AM   #15

Model: 2019 Vegas 25.6
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3467
I used a 5" hot water vent pipe and two 4" pipe hangers it works great..
Old 10-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #16

THOR #3467
I used a 60" 5" hot water heater pipe and two 4" pipe hangers, worked out great.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1469.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	3216

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1470.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	3217
Old 10-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
hudson0231: That looks great, like my fencepost storage solution seen here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27....html#post4722
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I also stored mine in bumper. When I went to a longer hose it sometimes took a little effort to get the entire hose to slide in, but found rotating gently while pushing it in helped. I was going to install a plastic liner inside bumper to make it easier but sold the MH before I got around to it. I would store in bumper again.

Square bumpers may have a rough welded seam near the middle of one of the four sides, and if it happens to just fall on the bottom, a rough seam could do some damage to a hose over time.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #19

THOR #3467
JamiGreek:l looked at fence post but were quite more expensive stove pipe was like seven dollars clamps were two dollars so about $12 finish that project, purchased all at Lowe's seem to be the cheapest and easiest I drilled two 1 inch holes in the bottom of the pipe for ventilation and drying.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
yeah the fence post was closer to $20.
And the stainless threaded rod was $8 or so.
Add in the stainless lock nuts and we're looking at close to $30 for my solution. (Forgot to add in the plastic spray paint as well.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote