Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #8066
Air Conditioner Leaking inside Coach

Just this morning my front AC started leaking condensation inside my coach. Looking for help troubleshooting this. 2017 Miramar. Thoughts?

Old 08-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you look under the hood, up and to the left, you will see the enclosure for the condenser. At the bottom of the box is a nipple that sticks down, it is the drain for the condenser. Buy some 1/2" ID tubing and attach it to the drain with a hose clamp, run the tubing down about 18" and secure with a zip tie. That should take care of your problem.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #3

State: Michigan
THOR #8066
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
If you look under the hood, up and to the left, you will see the enclosure for the condenser. At the bottom of the box is a nipple that sticks down, it is the drain for the condenser. Buy some 1/2" ID tubing and attach it to the drain with a hose clamp, run the tubing down about 18" and secure with a zip tie. That should take care of your problem.
The leak is from the front roof mount air conditioner. Not the dash. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Pul the cover and look up there will be either three or four bolts that attach the ac to the coach. Theer is a gasket that if the bolts are not tight enough than it will leak inside.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
sorry, don't have an answer but this reminds me.... it happened to us one time while on our recent long trip. A good bit of water spilled onto the floor when I started driving one day. I was planning to open it up to double check
...was it a leaking roof gasket?
....was in a plugged condensate drain up on the roof?
....is something broken/rusted/leaking?
but then it never happened again
and never leaked in any of the many hard rains its seen since.... so i kinda forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

My guess in my case, the thing was sitting in some odd out of level state and the condensation built up somewhere that it normally does not.... one time thing, but still it's about time for me to take off the cowling and clean/inspect... tighten the mounting screws, etc...
Old 08-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #6

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Check for clogged drain

These units drains plug up and will then drip inside. Go on the roof and look closely at the A/C cover (shroud). About 2/3rd of the way back (from the front of the cover, where front is the edge closest to the front bumper of coach) look down for a tiny drain hole, or nipple. Likely will be black, so hard to spot. Take a pipe cleaner (or any small wire) and stick it through that nipple several inches. Do the same on the opposite side. Hopefully leak gone. Just had to do it on my coach. These leaks are usually clogged drains, loose bolts holding unit down so the seal is not tight, or a bad seal (gasket) between the roof and the A/C unit.
Good luck
Note: While you are on the roof, clear out the drains of your other A/C as well.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
THOR #7078
Good morning,

I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany 40ax xte, the front ac has leaked off and on since I took delivery in February this year, the mobile technician replaced the gasket, stopped for a while, then started leaking again, he came out and attempted to fix it again, not sure what he did as a neighbor was here, he stated that he fixed it, but last night it was leaking water from the rear area where the filter is, contacted the technician and he has no idea why it is leaking.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
When I had my 5th wheel, the front a/c was a Penguin 13500 and not controlled by the main living area thermostat but had manual controls. If I ran it on max continuously, it would frost up and start dripping on the mattress. Solution was to run it a little less than max so that it cycled more often.

Also, if you are going to tighten bolts, don't get too aggressive with them and tighten them a little at a time going from corner to corner. Doubt that the gasket is your problem though.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
sorry, don't have an answer but this reminds me.... it happened to us one time while on our recent long trip. A good bit of water spilled onto the floor when I started driving one day. I was planning to open it up to double check
...was it a leaking roof gasket?
....was in a plugged condensate drain up on the roof?
....is something broken/rusted/leaking?
but then it never happened again
and never leaked in any of the many hard rains its seen since.... so i kinda forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

My guess in my case, the thing was sitting in some odd out of level state and the condensation built up somewhere that it normally does not.... one time thing, but still it's about time for me to take off the cowling and clean/inspect... tighten the mounting screws, etc...
Some time ago now, while in a campground I did pull the inner shroud to have a look. The mounting screws were loose....one was completely slack

So thanks again!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #10

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Pul the cover and look up there will be either three or four bolts that attach the ac to the coach. Theer is a gasket that if the bolts are not tight enough than it will leak inside.

I take it you're saying pull the unit from the inside on the ceiling to uncover the bolts....big job or not? Tabs to pull maybe? I have a leak and would like to snug up the bolts but not sure I want to start tearing things apart unless I'm sure what I'm doing. Sounds like you have a handle on this.
GB
Old 07-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #11

THOR #7078
Slide arms and rubber opening

Greetings all,

I have a question regarding the full kitchen slide, the living room and bathroom slide on a Tuscany 40AX Xte. I have light coming in on all slides, I noticed the opening where the arms go in have some major gapping, does anyone have an idea on how I can fix this or seal it while in place. I live in my coach full time, and being that it is extremely hot outside, warm air comes in through the bottom of the slide. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone experienced having to sync the slides all the time? the top piece of the facia near the mater bathroom slide has little clearance and has come off. I am trying to get the top piece from Thor, but have yet to hear back from them, once other thing, has anyone who has the theater seating with the cup holders experience any cracking? the front on of mine has cracked on the inside.

Suzzanne
2016 Thor Tuscany 40AX Xte.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief90 View Post
Greetings all,

I have a question regarding the full kitchen slide, the living room and bathroom slide on a Tuscany 40AX Xte. I have light coming in on all slides, I noticed the opening where the arms go in have some major gapping, does anyone have an idea on how I can fix this or seal it while in place. I live in my coach full time, and being that it is extremely hot outside, warm air comes in through the bottom of the slide. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, has anyone experienced having to sync the slides all the time? the top piece of the facia near the mater bathroom slide has little clearance and has come off. I am trying to get the top piece from Thor, but have yet to hear back from them, once other thing, has anyone who has the theater seating with the cup holders experience any cracking? the front on of mine has cracked on the inside.

Suzzanne
2016 Thor Tuscany 40AX Xte.
Maybe you should start your own thread with an Appropriate title rather than posting in a leaking air conditioner thread?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #13

THOR #9033
Thanks to all who have replied.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #14

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
These units drains plug up and will then drip inside. Go on the roof and look closely at the A/C cover (shroud). About 2/3rd of the way back (from the front of the cover, where front is the edge closest to the front bumper of coach) look down for a tiny drain hole, or nipple. Likely will be black, so hard to spot. Take a pipe cleaner (or any small wire) and stick it through that nipple several inches. Do the same on the opposite side. H opefully leak gone. Just had to do it on my coach. These leaks are usually clogged drains, loose bolts holding unit down so the seal is not tight, or a bad seal (gasket) between the roof and the A/C unit.
Good luck
Note: While you are on the roof, clear out the drains of your other A/C as well.

Arrrv.....I didn't see anything that looked like this....is there a pic of this anywhere online? Do you have to take off the shroud to see this?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #15

THOR #7078
My apologies,

I thought I was posting a new thread
Old 07-29-2018, 11:14 PM   #16

Model: Aria 3901
State: Texas
THOR #12159
I have a 2019 Aria 3901 and light pours in under the two large slides. I bought 10 large sponges and when we stop, I put these in the holes under the outside of the slides. When we break down, I make sure I remove them all. I am just trying to keep mice and other creatures out of the RV as we also are full timers and choose not to have gaping holes into our home.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #13981
My 2010 Windsport front AC leaks condensate,have had it to local tech and to factory.All drains clean and seal tight. We still get leakage but it seems to build up and not leak but suddenly it lets loose like a dam has burst. Any others suggestions would appreciated.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:55 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thbeerman View Post
My 2010 Windsport front AC leaks condensate,have had it to local tech and to factory.All drains clean and seal tight. We still get leakage but it seems to build up and not leak but suddenly it lets loose like a dam has burst. Any others suggestions would appreciated.
Have you investigated yourself? I would take the inside cover off (4 to 6 screws) and run the AC and look to see where its comming from.

While the cover is off "snug down" the 4 long bolts that hold the AC on the roof. THis will crush the gasket some and might prevent water leak. (But this gasket could still be bad and need replacing).

Then I would take the outside cover off (4 screws) and make sure the drain pan is clean and all 4 holes are clean and look for anthing else that looks suspect.

None of this will cost you money and you might figure out the problem youself (even if you dont fix it - at least you can tell them exactly what to do).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #19

THOR #9033
I did not do much on my own since it was a warranty item. I suspected that when the new gasket was installed, something happened and the unit was dropped into place wrong. It was and fixed. NO leaks , knock on wood, and have cold air again. On this note. I did check to see if the bolts were tight and they were very tight.....which I guess was the problem in that they squeezed the gasket too tight which leads to the same problem as if it isn't tight enough. Lordy....At least it's fixed. Fighting a leak around the driver side window right now and it seems like the window will be pulled and resealed. Seems to be a weak link on the ACE and Vegas. Happy 2019 to you and yours
Old 12-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Assuming you do have an Airxcel A/C (Coleman) without a condensate pump here is why it may leak. Under the evaporator is a drip pan to collect the condensate water. There is a drain tube from the drip pan to the rear of the A/C where the is a catch basin. The condenser fan is clearanced so that any water in the catch basin is picked-up by the fan blades and blown into the condenser, there by increasing the A/C efficiency. The system only works if the A/C housing (not the coach) is level or tilted slightly rear down. Should the A/C be tilted to the side more than a degree or the rear up you will have problems on hot, humid days. Wind blowing from the rear of the A/C can also cause problems, as can a low pressure area across the drip pan due to improper installation (baffling).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, inside coach, leaks