Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor ACE 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Nevada
THOR #5275
We have a 30.2 that failed last year. I bought the Bauer AP products from Amazon to replace the broken factory unit. We like the convenience of the keypad to lock and unlock the unit.

This past winter someone was able to break into several RVs that were in storage next to our RV. They ransacked the inside and stole various items. Our unit clearly showed signs of attempted entry but the lock didn’t allow them in. The unit was damaged enough that the key would no longer work. We could however gain access via the code. I called Bauer and they sent us a replacement at cost. I’d highly recommend swapping the factory unit for both the security and convenience of the Bauer unit.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #22

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #15009
Door lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
So this bum Tri Mark Door Lock is on these rigs prior to the 2017 model year? Ours is a 2018 how do I know for sure if we have a goodie or a baddie door lock?
Have a 2018 Thor Windsport - got it in December 2018 and door lock has not worked right since new. Dealer says we messed it up ! Have not been able to lock it since so we do have the second one that does work ! Fortunatelly !
Old 08-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #23

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: Missouri
THOR #5861
This happened to us last summer on our 2016 29.3 but we were stuck outside! luckily I had plenty of beer in the outside fridge until a locksmith got there three hours later at about 1 AM. We replaced with a Bauer EM AISentis Keyless Door Lock from RVUpgardes which has a solid steel bolt.

Earlier this year we were in Ft Myers and our next door neighbor's latch broke in their Hurricane 29M, they asked us what to do, had the part delivered to the campgrounds and installed in a couple of days.. The Bauer was an exact replacement for the cheap pot metal Trimark. This is apparently very common.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerling2219 View Post
This happened to us last summer on our 2016 29.3 but we were stuck outside! luckily I had plenty of beer in the outside fridge until a locksmith got there three hours later at about 1 AM. We replaced with a Bauer EM AISentis Keyless Door Lock from RVUpgardes which has a solid steel bolt.
Not sure of your priorities, but seems to me you should have replaced locks on outdoor fridge access with Bauer EM AISentis Keyless Door Lock first? Imagine had that happened the other way? You would have had to sit in that RV until 1 AM before you could get a beer
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #25

THOR #5861
No need to worry about the outside fridge getting locked out, it's takes the basic CH751 key that is used on almost everything! Or you could probably use a screwdriver unless that was locked inside also!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #26

THOR #5861
Plus I keep beer in both fridges!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #27

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerling2219 View Post
Plus I keep beer in both fridges!
LOL There you go, and a portable cooler can serve as your backup, "we don't need no stinking keys"
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #28

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
The TriMark door locks are a Preventative Maintenance issue meaning fix before in breaks. Just check with a magnet before you buy and insist on a new lock at the dealers. Problem is not enough people know about it before they are locked in or out.

TriMark was good enough to ship me a new lock at no cost when I told them I had the Zinc model.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #29

State: Tennessee
THOR #1061
Locked inside

The same thing happened to me 2 years ago on my 2015 30.1. luckily I was driveway camping at my step daughter's house. I called her on the cell phone and she passed a screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers through the window to me. I took off the cover on the inside of the door knock assembly and that little piece of hot metal filling my hand. I was able to use my needle nose pliers to turn the mechanism and open the door. Since I was parked there for a couple of days it was not a problem and I was still able to lock the deadbolt. Then I went out and bought thing you lock assembly with all steel parts. Only problem on the insulation for me was wishing I had a third hand. Since that time I've had no problem and the only reason I knew how to deal with it is that I had seen it happen to some friends of mine while work camping in Wyoming the year before. I have learned to live with my Thor Ace warts and all and believe me there's been a lot of warts I've had to fix. but I also think the other manufacturers put out more junk these days too. If I had it to do over again I would buy an older gently used model from a previous owner who kept good notes on what he'd already fixed. But it is what it is
Old 08-04-2019, 01:39 AM   #30

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Mississippi
THOR #13923
Same problem, different fix

My 2018 ACE 30.3 also had a door lock problem (locking me inside) but was able to tighten the flange (from the inside) and a little Loctite has kept it in place ever since.
I had to replace everything that broke or was poorly assembled on my RV, I'd be broke (broker) the first year.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Massachusetts
THOR #7179
Broken lock

Type Trimark lock in forums and you will see this is an ongoing problem.
This is a copy of a complaint I filed with the National Transportation Safety Administration. I suggest you do the same.

I HAVE A 2013 THOR HURRICANE CLASS A MOTOR HOME. THE DOOR HANDLE AND LOCK WERE MADE BY TRIMARK; PART NUMBER 060-0650. I RECENTLY DISCOVERED THAT I COULD NOT OPEN THE ENTRANCE DOOR FROM THE OUTSIDE. THIS IS THE ONLY DOOR ON THE MOTOR HOME, WHICH IS VERY COMMON WITH CLASS A’S. I THEN HAD TO CRAWL THROUGH A WINDOW TO GAIN ACCESS AND DISCOVERED I COULDN’T OPEN THE DOOR FROM THE INSIDE EITHER. THE MOTOR HOME WAS PARKED IN MY DRIVEWAY.

AFTER TAKING OFF THE INSIDE DOOR TRIM, I COULD SEE THAT OPERATING THE HANDLE WAS NOT MOVING THE PLUNGER OUT OF THE STRIKE PLATE, THUS MAKING THE DOOR IMPOSSIBLE TO OPEN. AFTER USING A SMALL TOOL AND A PIECE OF STIFF WIRE I WAS ABLE TO PUSH THE PLUNGER AWAY FROM THE STRIKE PLATE AND THEN OPENED THE DOOR. WHEN THE DOOR OPENED THE BROKEN PLUNGER FLEW OUT FROM THE LOCK (THERE IS A SPRING BEHIND IT). IT WAS OBVIOUS THAT THE PLUNGER ASSEMBLY HAD BROKEN INTERNALLY. IT TOOK ME A HALF AN HOUR TO OPEN THE DOOR.

AFTER DOING RESEARCH ON THE INTERNET, I FOUND A NUMBER OF RV OWNERS HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THIS LOCK. THIS SITUATION IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS IF INSIDE THE MOTOR HOME AND NEED TO ESCAPE IN AN EMERGENCY. WINNEBAGO INDUSTRIES EVEN ISSUED A RECALL ON THIS ISSUE (NHTSA SAFETY RECALL 15V-510) AND TRIMARK HAS DISCONTINUED THIS MODEL LOCK.

I AM URGING YOUR AGENCY TO LOOK INTO THIS MATTER AND ISSUE A RECALL FROM ALL MOTOR HOME MANUFACTURERS USING THIS LOCK.

I HAVE INCLUDED PICTURES OF THE LOCK WHERE THE PLUNGER SHOULD BE AND THE BROKEN PLUNGER ITSELF. ALSO INCLUDED IS A WEB PAGE FROM TRIMARK SHOWING THIS LOCK HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH A DIFFERENT MODEL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4662.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	19396  
Old 08-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #32

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
jgerling,

Do you have a part number for the Bauer EM AISentis Keyless Door Lock? Just checked and we have the older non-steel on our 2016 Vegas.
Looks like I need to order a replacement, it is time for that "ounce of prevention vs a pound of cure" mindset to kick in.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #33

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Best place to get it and was suggested by Bauer

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/searc...er+ems&Submit=

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #34

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Jerry,
Thanks. At 66 I'm too old to be climbing in and out of windows!
Time to make an order.

DocMike

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #35

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana&Dave View Post
We have a 2014 Thor ace 30.1 and the door will not open!!! Anyone know what to do?

Had this happen to but we were outside and couldnt get in. Luckily I never lock my driver window so was able to get inside and disassemble the door lock. realigned , tighten all screws and now no problem.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #36

THOR #5861
DocMike,

Jerry sent the part# link with RV Upgrades for the keyless latch, I wish I'd replaced it before I got locked out! Actually had a couple of overly friendly neighbors that thought they could pry the door open with a crow bar and they screwed up the outside trim and side of the door, it took me several days of work to get it mostly straighten out. When the locksmith came he had an inflatable bag the opened the door enough to push the broken piece out of the way, luckily the deadbolt worked so we could drive home.

I wish I'd known about this before it broke. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #37

Model: ACE 29.3
State: North Carolina
THOR #6098
I bought a new lock after crawling out the window. Changed it myself and I am mechanically inclined.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #38

Model: Wind Sport by Four Winds
State: Florida
THOR #6330
broke latch

This is probably late I had the same thing happen, after prying ,cussing and patience, I found a strip of plastic running vertical between the door frame at the entry handle and the paneling of the inside wall by removing that strip the the plunger was exposed I pushed it out of the way and the door opened, I then dissembled the latch and used the dead bolt to hold door closed for the weekend excursion. All that have that entry door handle should remember this escape trick, yes I replaced mine with the stainless plunger after I got home much cheaper DIY
Old 08-06-2019, 01:47 AM   #39

THOR #16173
I enjoyed reading, after it was clear everyone was OK. The day my sister bought her unit we went 9 miles down the road to eat and were both locked in. We were not far from the dealer and called and they came right away. Not one person walk in that parking lot that day and it was raining a little. The dealer sent someone to help. I was able to see loose screws and pushed the latch back to the door and it opened. We went to eat and the dealer fixed the problem. We made the first great adventure memory. While we were stuck it was not funny, yet 5 minutes later it was way to funny.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #40

Model: Ace 29.4
State: New York
THOR #6366
Got the t-shirt!

This happened to us this year the morning we were getting ready for my son's wedding. Good Times! Phillips screwdriver to take off the inside plate, and then pliers from my multi-tool to pull back the plunger/latch. Used the deadbolt as the latch until we purchased a replacement.