Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #15468
Stuck inside! Help

We have a 2014 Thor ace 30.1 and the door will not open!!! Anyone know what to do?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
1 Window exit using the ladder you bought for just such a purpose.
2 call a locksmith.
3.call good Sam. They have lockout coverage
4 I have to Guess there are no screws to disassemble the lock from the inside, or you wouldn't be asking us....
5 drive it to a lock smith or fire station.

I thought of these in three seconds....
Old 07-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
There are screws on the inside to disassemble it. Climb out the drivers window to get your tools. Yeah I keep mine in an outside compartment too. Set your step ladder from the window to the ground first the first step is a doozy.
If the lock rod is broken inside there is little a locksmith can do. As for the fire department... they’ll just crowbar the door open and you’ll have additional problems.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
And nobody has heard from them since. . .
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I hope that they didn't resort to this method...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:38 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Trimark “Steel” Latch Door Lock #29412-09 – Replacement for 060-650 / 060-1650 (lock with deadbolt)

I finally decided to replace the old Trimark door lock with deadbolt on my 2013 ACE 30.1 after reading for years about the breaking pot metal latch on many of these pre 2017 (black interior door lock skins) Trimark door locks with inside red locking buttons in many older Thor coaches. My original Trimark was still working OK because I have been carefully closing it since new in 2012. It boiled down to how long would it be before the DW and I found ourselves locked in or out of the coach......or someone else? The cost of a locksmith and other associated hassles would easily cover replacement lock costs, even though a recall should have been issued for this dangerous defect IMO.

The new Trimark outside lock portion was purchased from Pacific RV Parts located south of Las Vegas. It was about $140 USD (plus $65 USD shipping/handling when cross border to Canada is required). The Trimark part number for the steel striker version (outside door lock portion only) is #29412-09......it is the only replacement lock for this 060-650 style with the steel striker. This should replace many stock Trimark Thor coach locks with the breaking pot metal latches and two red plastic lock controls on the inside, but make sure before you buy.

When I replaced the original Trimark 60-650 door lock on the RV with the new outer lock mechanism with steel striker latch, I also had to buy a new red flip button with the longer length stem because in order to use the new outside lock with the old existing inside lock portion, without red button interference with the screen door, the two original red lock control buttons had to be position reversed. Unfortunately the shorter stem red button would then pop off when the door was slammed closed. So I purchased another long stem red button ( part #81481) and retaining ring (which I did not actually use) is #80967-15. The button parts were ordered from the Trimark warehouse direct (check their web page) in New Hampton Iowa. I also had to slightly modify the thin metal skin which surrounds the lock door cutout space, to allow the new outside lock skin locking mechanism tab to work properly. This required a dremel cutting tool and a little careful cutting of the metal skin (between inside and outside door panels). The existing door striker plate slots on my coach allowed the new thicker lock striker pins (which come with the new lock) to be used without any modification. New key sets come with the new lock as well as a new external door lock seal. I should have taken pictures through the process but unfortunately did not.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:31 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
So this bum Tri Mark Door Lock is on these rigs prior to the 2017 model year? Ours is a 2018 how do I know for sure if we have a goodie or a baddie door lock?
Old 07-29-2019, 01:54 AM   #8

THOR #2631
Hi, I don't know the exact cut over date of manufacture (or specific coach models affected) when Thor started using different door locks that did not "seem" to have this pot metal latch failure problem, but from reading some of the posts on this forum related to this subject (which are many) it "seems" that if you have a white inside door lock skin you are OK.....I don't know that for sure though. The 2017 model year was also pulled from some of these posts......use the search tool after logging in to find many comments on this Trimark door lock subject. Perhaps someone in the know can advise us all exactly. What I know for sure is that my 2013 was built with the weak 060-650 Trimark door lock......we were just lucky nothing ever happened to us because we were very careful when closing the door. It is important for owners to make sure they do not have this older 060-650 pot metal latch on their coach (black inside lock skin with red plastic locking tabs). A magnet should stick to the latch if it is steel....by the way the deadbolts used are still alloy pot metal, but at least the improved units have a steel latch.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:02 AM   #9

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I hope they made it out safely versus battery going dead on a mobile phone etc. They could have posted their location if they had not already escaped through Emergency window or called 911.

This issue does not surprise me. It was just a week or so ago on this very site when we discussing the oddity of emergency window glass design that in a lot of cases would break if used and could cost $1,000 or more top replace. I note that #1 I was not aware of that fact when my wife and I were looking at a brand new unit for sale and we got stuck inside. Because AC was running and we were nice and cool, I tried not to panic, but after 10 minutes or so, I was considering opening the emergency window to get out so I would not embarrass ourselves to the dealership, but just as I was about to do that, someone came from outside and opened the door. We just calmly left But had I used that Emergency window in the back bedroom, it likely would have broke and I would have had a cow if they asked me to pay for and it was anywhere near $1,000.

I don't know what failed on the door, didn't care, moved on from that unit. Oddly you would think the lock mechanism i sto keep you from getting in from the outside, not from getting out from the inside? Maybe they worry you driving down the road and some body inside think that is the door to the head and open the door and jump onto the highway? Otherwise, I think the good old fashioned smith & wesson protection mechanisms work best anyway
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:39 PM   #10

THOR #15468
Thanks-we climbed out the window and now need to get the whole latch replaced
Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #11

THOR #15468
Thank you! We had no idea this was an issue but apparently it happens often-We now need to get a locksmith to remove old latch and will replace with what you recommend-Thank you
Old 07-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #12

THOR #15468
Thank you! we climbed out the window and will now be keeping a ladder onsite-it was a long jump. We are new to RVing and so far there are a ton of issues to go with the fun!
Old 07-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #13

THOR #15468
we jumped
Old 07-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana&Dave View Post
we jumped
I hope y’all are okay! Time for a drink yet?
Old 07-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #15

THOR #15468
We Jumped!

Thank you-we are new to RVing and had no idea how many things could go wrong that we couldn't fix-My husband is a very handy guy and truck driver for over 25 years and I am very adept at figuring out how to get things done but this RV is testing our skillsets. We ended up jumping out the front windows and then figured out how to get back in so we could make it home-We now need a locksmith to remove old lock and will be replacing it with hopefully a much better one. (now I know why people have ladders with them in the rv-didnt see the need before)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Glad all are ok A little excitement keeps life from getting boring!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #17

Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
There you go guys, I knew you could do it.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #18

THOR #2631
Hopefully the bottle of rum, some ice and two glasses came out that window with you.......tends to smooth out those rough landings sometimes. Very glad there was no serious escape emergencies inside the coach during this door lock failure episode. Now you have completed your first fire drill in the new RV.....and lived to laugh about it around a campfire somewhere down the road. Congrats.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:16 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to hear that your "escape skills", are as finely-honed as your "Handy Skills"!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Florida
THOR #14384
Find trimark on facebook and post a rant.

File with the NHTSB for a saftey issue:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

And perhaps you will get your money for the new lock back.

Mine broke at a gas station. 4 souls who could not get out of the RV in the case of a flash fire.

If a magnet won't stick to your striker, its zinc potmetal. If it will, its steel. The steel is also generally shiny and the zinc is dull.