Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Surprise water leak

Another annoying RV question
The slides are out we got about an inch of rain over night, I found a puddle of water right under the corner of the bed( that slides). The corner in the picture is toward the front of the coach, about an 1/8 bubble high in the rear. Doesn't seam wet on the up hill side can't find any water else where. The wooden the bed looks dry. I did find the rubber on the outside of the slide flipped in.
I did find water in the area before with the slide out, retracted the slide leak disappeared. I don't know if that rubber was in or out before.
The metal frame has some surface rust
Looking for an idea where to start looking
2015 Thor Windsport 34 E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_164959.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	13877   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_164916.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	13878  

Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I would think the rubber would be on the outside (because the slide should push it out when extended).

Check to see if something is holding it back or if you need to trim the bottom of the seal so it is free to move in and out with the slide.

Also check the top seal (Under the awning) and the bottom seal (under the slid). Seems like someone posted a problem with one of these seals in the past.

One post also had a leak on the bottom due to poor caulking job on the trim around the slide (the Trim peice that surround the slide and has the extra seal on it when closed). So check any caulking points.

Let us know what you find so we can let other know.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 PM   #3

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I would think the rubber would be on the outside (because the slide should push it out when extended).

Check to see if something is holding it back or if you need to trim the bottom of the seal so it is free to move in and out with the slide.

Also check the top seal (Under the awning) and the bottom seal (under the slid). Seems like someone posted a problem with one of these seals in the past.

One post also had a leak on the bottom due to poor caulking job on the trim around the slide (the Trim peice that surround the slide and has the extra seal on it when closed). So check any caulking points.

Let us know what you find so we can let other know.
Thanks for the ideas, I need to figure out if the bottom slide gear track is above or below the bed . Don't have a clue how these are put together
Old 11-06-2018, 12:47 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Not sure about the bed but the track is probably a little above floor level inside. I learned to always check my seals after deployment. The top of mine would often stay folded in and water would run right in. Now I use an awning hook to reach up and pull it out.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #5

THOR #13360
still looking

I did not find anything that looked like it should be the cause of my leak, however I did find that the slide track is slightly up hill toward the outside of the coach which could cause water to come into the coach on the slide, when if it stops raining I will try to see where the slide track is in relationship to the leak and report back.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Check post #11 here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...eak-13689.html

I had a small puddle after a rain.
Good luck
Old 11-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Do you have slide toppers? With a less than perfect level coach without slide covers, water can enter that way...from the top of the slide out in the extended position.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #8

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Do you have slide toppers? With a less than perfect level coach without slide covers, water can enter that way...from the top of the slide out in the extended position.
We do have slide toppers

I'll be checking the trim on the lower section of the slides next, when if it stops raining. We are about 12" above norm for the year.
2015 34E