Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #7260
Tankless hot water not working

We have a new 2017 Thor Siesta 24 footer with a tankless hot water heater. We have inconsistent hot water in the shower and no hot water at all in the kitchen.

The temperature is set at max at 124 degrees, but the water in the shower is mostly cold with an occasional stream of hot water for around ten seconds at most.

Called the service department at the dealership and was told to try running the water at the bathroom sink at the same time. It didn't sound logical and it didn't work anyway. Called the 24/7 help line and he was asking me about 'three levers' to the plumbing, which I couldn't find. (Nothing in the manual about this problem or three levers.)

In the meantime and before I take a trip to the dealership, anyone out there who has had a problem with their tankless and any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #2

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24SV
State: Arkansas
THOR #6932
When we got our Siesta sprinter in March, we had lots of similar problems with the tankless water heater. Our problem ended up being with low water pressure when hooked up to city water. They had us test it by running on the pump rather than city water. We found that ours worked fine that way. Our pressure regulator was reducing the pressure too much. We bought a new adjustable one and have had no other issues.

Am not sure of the valves mentioned. The valve to switch from city water to pump, etc is in the back outside bay.

There are several threads on this site discussing problems with the tankless hot water.
Good luck.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #3

THOR #7260
Thank you very much for the info, FL-AR. I also have an adjustable pressure regulator which is currently set at 49 psi. (I had been told not to go above 55 psi.) What do you have yours set at? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:31 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Water pressure is critical for that tankless heater to work correctly. I too have gone to an adjustable pressure regulator, and since getting that and setting it to between 50 and 55 PSI its working much better. I really recommend spending the extra few dollars for the adjustable version of the water pressure regulator.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

THOR #7260
Thanks, Laco. I have the adjustable regulator and it was set at 49 psi. Next time out I'll adjust it higher and hopefully that will take care of the problem.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:13 PM   #6

State: Alabama
THOR #6466
That sounds a lot like what happened in my Vegas when I had the bypass valve open along with the hot and cold feeds. If you have a bypass valve, check that it's closed.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #7

THOR #7260
Thank you. I'll check that out too.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

State: Maryland
THOR #14973
Hello, we just purchased a 2019 Thor Quantam with a tankless hot water heater and seem to be having the same inconsistent hot water issues as described above. The sink in the bathroom gets NO hat water at all and the hot water in the shower is very limited. We have an app't with our service team in a few days. Should I mention the adjustable pressure gauge right away or wait for their assessment? I also purchased the coach winterized and had some start issues with that as well.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Get yourself a pressure regulator that'll keep things at a touch over 50 psi...
That should fix you up!
You can test the system by filling your freshwater tank, powering up your water pump, and using your onboard water...
(That will pressurize the system to where it'll work just fine...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Tankless Water Heater

I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24 SS with the tankless water heater. I have mine set at 110. What you have to do is turn on the hot water ONLY. Then you can SLOWLY adjust the cold to find the temp that works for you. It is not like a home unit where you can turn on the cold quickly. The tankless heater shuts off if it gets alot of cold water at one time and it allows the cold to flow before heating it. Just let the hot water flow to the set max that you set into it and very slowly add the cold once the water is flowing hot. I watched several YouTubes about it befire discovering the trick to getting a hot shower and maintaining that hot shower for the entire time I was in the shower. It is a bit of trial and error to get use to it and how it works.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
When we had our Outlaw: we'd set the temperature at 108 degrees, and we never had to touch the cold water adjustment at all...

The Truma system in our Tiffin functions much more like a residential system; only much quicker!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote