Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Faulty steps 2018 Thor 37rb

when I turn my ignition on my back steps go down. When I shut my ignition switch off steps retract. Doesn't matter whether engine is running or not they keep working this way. Does anybody have any suggestions on what the problem is. Back door is shut all this time. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I assume your screen door is closed when you are operating and turning off the ignition switch? The step motor and controller are normally powered from the chassis battery (FYI). As a first suggestion I would make sure the screen door magnet and jamb sensor are aligned and are close together when the door is closed. If that seems OK ensure the connectors are clean and tight under the steps (be careful that the steps do not operate when you are under there).
Old 02-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I assume your screen door is closed when you are operating and turning off the ignition switch? The step motor and controller are normally powered from the chassis battery (FYI). As a first suggestion I would make sure the screen door magnet and jamb sensor are aligned and are close together when the door is closed. If that seems OK ensure the connectors are clean and tight under the steps (be careful that the steps do not operate when you are under there).
Yes the door remains closed all this time. when ignition is off and I open and close the door steps operate normally. I will check the connections. Thanks for the info
Old 02-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
You are saying they are backwards?

Steps should come up/in when the ignition is turned on

Should have a switch to keep them out when ignition is off
Old 02-09-2019, 08:27 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
That was supposed to be on the original OP
Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #6

THOR #2631
Well, any luck with the steps? I would have expected the steps to retract anytime the coach ignition is turned on, but instead they went out. I thought the controller may have thought the door was open (even though it is closed)....hence check the magnet and door open sensor.
Lets look at what works: the steps function for both in and out......so you have main power and ground OK and the motor is operating. You say the steps follow the door open/closed correctly when the ignition is off and (I assume) the over ride switch is off.
With ignition off; do the steps stay out when the over ride switch is on regardless of if the door is open or closed? The only thing left if all connections at the steps are clean and solid....... perhaps a bad controller; perhaps an abrased/shorting wire causing strange responses? The yellow wire is supposed to have 12vdc on it as well....if not maybe a blown fuse? Perhaps going through a formal test of voltages with a multimeter is required here: Attaching a link to the Kwikee step troubleshooting flow chart.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...Flow_Chart.pdf
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

THOR #8931
Quote:
Well, any luck with the steps? I would have expected the steps to retract anytime the coach ignition is turned on, but instead they went out. I thought the controller may have thought the door was open (even though it is closed)....hence check the magnet and door open sensor.
Lets look at what works: the steps function for both in and out......so you have main power and ground OK and the motor is operating. You say the steps follow the door open/closed correctly when the ignition is off and (I assume) the over ride switch is off.
With ignition off; do the steps stay out when the over ride switch is on regardless of if the door is open or closed? The only thing left if all connections at the steps are clean and solid....... perhaps a bad controller; perhaps an abrased/shorting wire causing strange responses? The yellow wire is supposed to have 12vdc on it as well....if not maybe a blown fuse? Perhaps going through a formal test of voltages with a multimeter is required here: Attaching a link to the Kwikee step troubleshooting flow chart.

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...Flow_Chart.pdf
the override switch is not working. With the ignition switch off no matter what position the override switch is in step still operate in and out properly with door. So I don't I think the override switch is not operating correctly.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #8

THOR #2631
I wish I was a step expert, but I am not, so I can’t say if the override switch not working is the reason for the ignition “on” putting stairs out when normally it brings them in (under certain conditions) for safety reasons. I think the override switch places 12vdc onto the controller (basic Kwikee step wiring diagram attached) so perhaps the fuse for that switch has blown; or switch is bad ? Not sure where that fuse is located though, but you can use a voltmeter to test for 12vdc on the override switch contacts or white wire on the controller (switch would apply 12v or remove it depending on position if the switch is working). I am also not certain if that fuse is blown, if that would also cause the ignition issue too. If there are no “step experts out there” might be wise to call the manufacturer and see if they can advise based on your two known symptoms. I think Lippert purchased Kwikee a few years back.
Since the mechanical parts and motor are working and if your inspection of wires and connections being clean and tight are good under the step…….the only other thing is a flakey controller unit……but that’s just a WAG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical Step Circuit.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	15631  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #9

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
YouTube may help if your handy. Mine I swear are haunted and can’t seem to make ryne or reason when they work properly or not. Going to the dealer eventually.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #10

THOR #8931
I have an appointment with the dealer at the end of the month. I'll let you know what happened
Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Have you called LCI customer support. When i was having trouble with my step they were great. Best service ever. The suggestions you have recieved here are great but why not talk to the people that make the product

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #12

THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Have you called LCI customer support. When i was having trouble with my step they were great. Best service ever. The suggestions you have recieved here are great but why not talk to the people that make the product

Jerry
just got it back from the shop. It was a faulty connection on the connector to the controller. They clean the connections put some electric grease on them plugged it back in and everything is fine.