Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
TERRIBLE first time service experience!

So, the odyssey begins! Actually, this is the second time the RV went to this dealer, TENNEESSEE RV Supercenter in Knoxville, for repairs but the first was a few days after initial purchase. I had a SCHEDULED appointment for 11-21, took it in that morning, rear pinion oil leak (slight), right front sway bar link broken and BR TV replacement (ALL under warranty!). The following Friday (11-30), service rep called to tell me it would be cheaper just to go buy a TV at Best Buy as theirs would be more expensive!!?? I informed him we had the Platinum Extended warranty which covered radios, TV's, etc. He checked (almost a week after having it) and said I was right (no kidding huh!). I stopped by on the way out of town to check on things the same day as he told me they couldn't get the leveling system to power up, I told him I had NEVER had that issue and figured it was an excuse not to have the MH ready when I requested it to be. Went inside and saw the levelers down, hmmm. Reminded him and the sales rep I needed the unit this coming Thursday (12-6) as we had a trip already planned and paid for. Got a call this morning, service rep said the RV was ready....BUT, they couldn't replace the leaking pinion seal because they didn't have the tool to remove it....HUH?? I asked him what I was supposed to do to fix this, after all, it's still under the manufacturers warranty from the factory. He said he'd call some Ford dealer and check on it. A few minutes later, he called stating they didn't have the TV fixed either and was waiting to hear back if the Extended warranty folks were going to pay for it...HUH?? As of now, I still haven't heard back so I'll be calling tomorrow to find out what's going to happen. I tell you what's going to happen, I'm going to call everyone from A to Z and complain about this issue as well as post to every website, forum and even contact Lazydays in Florida who is buying this dealership very soon! It's ridiculous, they've had my MH for EIGHT BUSINESS DAYS, NOT counting the holiday, and all they've fixed is the sway bar link which is about a 30 minute job...I know because I had already replaced it myself but put the broken one back on since it was under warranty and I had to take it in to get the pinion seal replaced. What a TERRIBLE experience and way to do business! I have fixed NUMEROUS issues myself so as not to have to take it to the dealer, had I not done these repairs myself, this pile of junk would have been in the shop six months out of the twelve I've owned it! Before all this occurred, I spoke with the sales rep about buying a Tiffin Phaeton next summer but I can tell you, it won't be from them under this ownership, if at all!! Sorry for the long rant....

Old 12-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Why isn't the TV covered under the manufacturer's warranty? Seems everybody else's is. Did I miss the part where you damaged it? Your extended warranty should only kick in after the original warranty expires.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear about this mess...
Don't walk: RUN to another dealer!
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

Model: 22FE
THOR #5330
Sounds like the leaking pinion gear box should be under the chassis warranty not the dealer who sold the RV.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

THOR #10421
Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Sounds like the leaking pinion gear box should be under the chassis warranty not the dealer who sold the RV.
It is and I mentioned this when I first called to have the service set up. My rant was so long, I left out a few minor details to save space. When I first spoke to the rep, he checked and said they had all the parts in stock. I mentioned the link and seal would be under the chassis warranty and to be sure I didn't need to take it to Ford, he said no, they could fix it there. Then twice, TWICE, I had to tell him the TV was under the extended warranty policy, then NINE days later he's telling me he has to check with the extended warranty provider to see if they'll pay for it...that's what's so frustrating about this deal! Regarding the pinion seal, he could have at least suggested a FORD dealer to take it to as I'm sure they've had to refer people previously. I ONLY bought the extended warranty because, at the time, I'd never had any experience with a MH but I don't need it now because I've had twelve months of real time, real world, hands on training! Thanks for listening everyone!
Old 12-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #6

THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Sorry to hear about this mess...
Don't walk: RUN to another dealer!
Good luck!
Oh and I will Bob, when I get ready to buy that Tiffin, I'll be running anywhere except here and Camping World!
Old 12-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Why isn't the TV covered under the manufacturer's warranty? Seems everybody else's is. Did I miss the part where you damaged it? Your extended warranty should only kick in after the original warranty expires.
Tfry, the original THOR warranty is over, hence the reason the TV should be covered under the extended warranty I bought. Another thing, I've already bought another BETTER TV but since I had to have the pinion seal replaced UNDER FORD's chassis warranty and I was taking it to the dealer, I might as well get some of the money back I paid for the ex. warranty and have them replace the TV. Same goes for the sway bar link. I bought a new one for $20 from O'Reilly Auto and took about 20-30 minutes to replace it myself. But, again, taking the MH in for a more substantive issue, I wanted them to replace it UNDER WARRANTY so I put the broken one back on before I took the MH in.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
Oh and I will Bob, when I get ready to buy that Tiffin, I'll be running anywhere except here and Camping World!
Our new RV is on it's way to the Dealership from the Factory...
Ill be sure to report on any issues with it.
Hopefully: there'll be none!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Our new RV is on it's way to the Dealership from the Factory...
Ill be sure to report on any issues with it.
Hopefully: there'll be none
!
You're kidding me right? How many RVs have you owned over the years?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Not nearly as many as the experts in here.
While I've been around them for over 50 years: my Dad was the one doing most of the worrying... I'm only on my second one.