Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2017, 12:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Fresh water tank

I have a 2017 Freedom Elite, 30FE. I do not put water in the fresh water tank when camping and it is usually empty when I go on a trip. When I am at a campground, it connect my water hose to their water supply. However, I have noticed that each time I get ready to leave, there is water in the fresh water tank. Maybe about 1/2 gallon but enough to be concerned. Anyone with similar concerns?

Old 07-04-2017, 02:46 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Well, I have 139 views but no responses. I guess no one is having the problem I am having.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:55 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
There is a valve in the pump that can get stuck in the wrong position allowing city water to back feed into the tank.
It has happened to me and 1/4 filled my tank on that occasion.
The fix is to run the 12 volt pump for a minute or 2 which in my case closed the valve and stopped the back feed.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:37 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
I have a 2017 Freedom Elite, 30FE. I do not put water in the fresh water tank when camping and it is usually empty when I go on a trip. When I am at a campground, it connect my water hose to their water supply. However, I have noticed that each time I get ready to leave, there is water in the fresh water tank. Maybe about 1/2 gallon but enough to be concerned. Anyone with similar concerns?
Are you using a water regulator? I've experienced something similar, were water would "leak" into the tank while camping. I've chalked it up to the water pressure being too high, and sneaking by the valve into the tank. In both cases, on the previous trips, I had been at campgrounds with low water pressure. I use an adjustable water regulator, typically set to 45-50 psi. If the service supply is low, I can adjust the pressure up.

On the very next trip I was at a campground with really good pressure, I didn't adjust down on the regulator. While checking my levels a day or so later, I noticed the fresh water level was at 2/3. I typically keep approx 15-20 gallons of travel water in my tank, for toilet flushes, washing hands ice maker etc.

If you are not using a regulator, then this could be the source of the water seeping into your fresh tank. If you are using a regulator then the bypass valve may need to be replaced.

Happy camping!
Old 07-04-2017, 03:41 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Same here it filled the fresh water pretty quick instead of draining the tank via the drain we just open both sinks and ran the pump until it was down to half then stopped for a few minutes then ran the pump again to drain it to about a quarter then stopped and turned on city water again. It did fill up again then we ran the pump again to drain it seems fine now, for a couple weeks so far
Old 07-04-2017, 03:47 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarter View Post
Same here it filled the fresh water pretty quick instead of draining the tank via the drain we just open both sinks and ran the pump until it was down to half then stopped for a few minutes then ran the pump again to drain it to about a quarter then stopped and turned on city water again. It did fill up again then we ran the pump again to drain it seems fine now, for a couple weeks so far
Are you using a water regulator??
Old 07-04-2017, 03:49 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Yes, although just the cheap ones, one with an actual gauge is on my list.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:28 AM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Mine has a 1/4 turn valve on the suction line at the pump, might check that.
If using an adjustable regulator you shouldn't need to constantly adjust the pressure, while at a location with good pressure set the desired pressure, I like 50-55 psi, & you're good from then on, the regulator will not increase low park pressure.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:45 AM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday51 View Post
Well, I have 139 views but no responses. I guess no one is having the problem I am having.
Ours has done this twice since we have owned it. I have read that this is caused by debris, usually plastic shavings from drilling fittings into the plastic water tank, getting into the water pump. My water filter before the pump was full of plastic shavings. Our coach also has a quarter turn shut off valve for the water tank. If all else fails, I plan on just turning it off so water cannot bleed back into the tank.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
I use an adjustable water regulator, typically set to 45-50 psi. If the service supply is low, I can adjust the pressure up.
What regulator are you using? A regulator alone cannot boost the pressure of a service supply.. would need some form of pump as well.

Typically set regulators to the desired pressure for rig - and leave it... If the supply pressure is higher - it brings it down. If the supply pressure is lower - it does nothing - just allows the water to pass through.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #11

Model: Outlaw
State: Illinois
THOR #7298
fresh water tank filling???

Yes, my 29H class C 2017, fresh water tank filled when on shore water presser. I did run my pump when water was off from shore. I need to find my pump and look into if there are valves on that line.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #12

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Fresh Water Tank

I had the fresh water tank on our 2016 Axis fill up completely overnight while hooked up at the San Onofre campground. Yes, we had a water pressure regulator. I believe that there were some plastic shavings in the system since I later found a good number of the shavings in the cup of the line water filter. I have not had the problem since I cleaned the filter but I have emptied the tank completely several times and still find some shavings getting into the filter cup. I have read where others have blamed the internal valve on the water pump. This could also be the problem but I will probably just turn off the valve coming out of the fresh water tank when hooked up to city water in the future. I don't have much confidence that replacing the water pump with another would change the situation.

On another note, I recently added a ShurFlo air accumulator tank to the water system which caused me to understand the water system much better than I did before.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There is a one way valve on the pump that prevents back flow when hooked to city water. Remove the filter and make sure it's clean, then put water in the tank and run a couple of gallons using the pump. If you have debris in the pump running should clear it out and stop further back flow on city water.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #14

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Fresh water tank on 30FE

Is the tank metal or plastic?
Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Similar issue - and a recommendation request

We ran into this issue on our first "real" trip with our '15 Windsport 27k. Per forum advice, we picked up a pressure regulator in advance. This was a lower end, inline regulator with no gauge.

After hooking everything up, we had NO pressure in the rig. Only a trickle in the sinks, toilet unusable. Took off our water filter in case it was defective, no difference in pressure. Replaced filter and took off the regulator; pressure seemed "ok".

However after 4 nights in campground (Key Largo, btw); noticed water on floor in bedroom. Tracked it back, and found our previously empty fresh tank was MORE than full, and was leaking from the top. Of course, we immediately turned off source water, cleaned up the mess, and ran from the tank until departure.

Heading out again next weekend, and hoping for advice on a new regulator. Saddest part is that when we returned from Largo, the "return period" on the one causing problems had just expired.

Anyone need 5oz of scrap brass in return for a recommendation?
Old 06-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Your "one-way valve" in the pump, obviously found another way...

Here's what SuperD said about this sort of thing:
" There is a one way valve on the pump that prevents back flow when hooked to city water. Remove the filter and make sure it's clean, then put water in the tank and run a couple of gallons using the pump. If you have debris in the pump running should clear it out and stop further back flow on city water."

Others have also said it: he might have said it the best...Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #17

Model: Chanteau
THOR #12515
I’m thinking we have the same thing happening, it was only for a moment, that we noticed water coming out from the tank fill port. I shut off city water, bled lines from pressure, turned on pump, and ran a little water, turned off pump, and turned city water back on. No more overflowing. Your right about probably original connecting up shavings in lines/check valve. Will check better when off our trip.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #18

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeroe66 View Post
I’m thinking we have the same thing happening, it was only for a moment, that we noticed water coming out from the tank fill port. I shut off city water, bled lines from pressure, turned on pump, and ran a little water, turned off pump, and turned city water back on. No more overflowing. Your right about probably original connecting up shavings in lines/check valve. Will check better when off our trip.
Noticed my fresh water was full when hooked up City Water and Water coming out fresh water. I drained fresh water tank to 2/3 full and problem solved.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #19

Model: Chanteau
THOR #12515
But...... if only 2/3 full, and the check valve is still stuck your tank will continue to fill till it comes out the fill port again
Old 09-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #20

THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeroe66 View Post
But...... if only 2/3 full, and the check valve is still stuck your tank will continue to fill till it comes out the fill port again
Don’t know how yours work but my fill port just fills my fresh water tank (reservoir). My water pump pumps to my faucets. Use fresh water when in-transit only. Use City Water when camping.