Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Florida
THOR #698
Get a tornado flush kit from camping world or amazon. I have been using one for years and it really works. The kit has everything to put it in the black tank.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt cobra View Post
So it seems that if your toilet dumps into the shallow side of the tank it builds up and plugs. I have taking my 27.2 out three times and it has plugged all three. I have talked to my place where I purchased they said to fill it to 2/3 rds. Why would I want to go camp with a almost full tank. They have sent me to address it with Thor which finally today I got a person that didn't say that I was the only one with the problem. He was aware of it,but because of the design. He told me to pour vegetable oil down the toilet, and try that. So I will give it a whirl. I have never in all of my other rvs ever had this problem. I hope it helps. Or as they say s""" will hit the fan
You don't need to go camp with an almost full tank but rather wait until the tank is 2/3 full before dumping. If you want to dump before the tank is 2/3 run water into the tank until it hits that level before opening the dump valve. The higher the level in the tank the greater the pressure coming out when you pull the valve.

Install a black tank flush to assist. I wouldn't have an RV without one.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Helen pns View Post
Get a tornado flush kit from camping world or amazon. I have been using one for years and it really works. The kit has everything to put it in the black tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
I don't have my mh it's been at the shop for almost 2 months getting the slide fixed. I put the hole top left side as far to the left as possible but still able to see in. Also I have the tornado about 4 inches to the right about the same height.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #24

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
The Black Tank problem

The strength of these forums is the ability to find solutions by drawing on the collective experience and wisdom of the forum members. I have benefited from this. The weakness lies in the fact that some items that come up, such as Thor's use of a black tank shaped like a painters roller tray, and dumping waste into the shallowest portion of that tray, defies all logic and experience up to now.

SO for those of you who read these threads, and there have been many over the past few years, and scratch your heads, I get it that you just don't get it. My ACE is my third MH, the other two had toilets that dumped straight into the black tank. Back then, my only black tank issues were how to keep the sensors clean so they would read correctly. This is NOT the main issue here. The issue is unintelligent design--how to get waste (solids and TP) to move down a shallow incline. Not all waste is the same, which is why some folks have more trouble than others.

Thor is VERY much aware of the problem, as they started installing Tornados in the black tanks as standard equipment. For some, that is enough, for others you may need to be even more proactive. I installed the Vornado (Valterra unit) as it has a higher pressure nozzle that can be installed pointing at the problem area to pressure wash it free (well, sorta kinda and maybe in my dreams.) I also have the luxury of having adapted one of my home's sewer clean outs into a dump station, so I can dump at home. I fill up my black tank (it will read full when it is not really) and just let it sit, with an additive, all week (or longer). Keeps the stuff from hardening into a form of waste cement. I then dump and rinse with the Vornado for a full 5 minutes.

Folks have posted a number of solutions that work for them, I encourage all of you struggling with this issue to try them out (none cost much, got my Vornado on Amazon and the install took all of 10 minutes) and find what works for you and continue to share your solutions on this forum. For those not identifying with our black tank problem, just be glad that the worst you are dealing with is how to keep your sensors clean and your valves clear! We'd love to trade places with you.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #25

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Helen pns View Post
I've noticed with the Tornado...that if I turn it on after I flush, I get more results.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #26

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
All the tornado does in these(Ace) is help keep the sensors clean. The only way to have s successful experience with this design is to fill the tank at least 2/3 full every time you use it. I have now put an access hole on the other end of the tank to help blow stuff to the deep end.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #27

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Rather than having the toilet drop straight into the tank they could have tried more of a slide like.