Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #1494
Thor axis issues resolved

We've had our 2014 Axis since Jan 2014. Have traveled about 8000 miles. Love the floorplan but aggravated with quality issues, now resolved. Really do like this coach and the gas mileage and other features, despite the original issues!

We bought it in Texas and drove home to San Diego. Issues began appearing at the dealer (MHSRV- great company!)

- at dealers, Generator had to be remounted so the access door could be opened
- at dealers, cab light had to be connected
- on road from Texas, in Arizona, noticed the top right corner of the windshield popped up about 3/4 of an inch. Windshield was later reset in San Diego. Problem was with a torn gasket
- later, on trip to Oregon, kitchen counter flooded in rainstorm; outside vent had to be reset and sealed
- water pump quit working, had moved around and needed moved back to original position
- In a rainstorm out in the middle of nowhere, the windshield wipers blew fuse and quit working. Replaced with larger fuse. Googled forum on the same subject lead us to the fuse and saved us a lot of trouble
- bathroom door kept coming off track, we fixed ourselves. We were going to take the door off and hang curtain, but got used to it and appreciate the door now.
- inflating inner wheels was a problem, had to get new fillers
- (road hazard) - two stars from flying rocks, insurance paid for star repair

Despite the growing pains, we love this coach. Replaced the miserable couch with two Best Home Furnishing brand Costilla model stationary space saver, battery operated power recliners. Now, just have to mod the shower with different rod, and maybe replace the idiotic shower lining with the bumps in it for a flat piece to make more room in the shower, plus access the back of the TVs for connections.

Hope all the issues have been resolved and that there are no other unwelcome surprises! Really makes you wonder about the competence of the workers and the processes they use for quality control. They say all new RVs have issues, no matter what brand. Go figure.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:56 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #1654
Axis issues

Have you had any problem with the sewer drain. Mine was offset and couldn't get to it with adaptors. Thor fixed problem under warranty. Love the recliners
Old 04-24-2015, 04:01 AM   #3

THOR #1494
No problems with the sewer. Maybe we were lucky afterall!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1327
Our 24.1 has been sitting at CW now for 3 weeks waiting for parts and the Thor rep to arrive. Open issues:
1) Excessive wind noise
2) Air leak so getting cold air when heat is on and hot air when A/C is on
3) Melted mudflap
4) Leaking rear lights
5) Can't secure front "hood" tightly
6) Doghouse gets very hot and lots of engine noise
7) Unpleasant "wandering"
8) Stress crack in windshield

So, we sit and wait and hope all of this can be repaired and under warranty. Only 4k miles and did an extensive walkthru with dealer before taking delivery. My buddy jokes that the "honeymoon" was great but the "marriage" is so/so.

This is not meant to discourage a potential buyer but know that there are challenges with any RV. The good side is the "camping" part of the Axis is outstanding and most of my issues is the "customized Class A" challenges.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 PM   #5

THOR #1494
Im starting to feel better about our issues, ha! Hope yours get resolved. They had a great idea wirh the Axis, but implementation is another story. Still love ours, tho'
Old 04-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #6

THOR #1494
I forgot to mention that our alignment was so bad, we had to get two new tires within a year, although our steering has always felt right
Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus
I forgot to mention that our alignment was so bad, we had to get two new tires within a year, although our steering has always felt right
Didn't yours have the large sticker on the wall right next to the drivers seat instructing you to get an alignment right away? Ours had that sticker in a couple of places and our dealer also stressed to us the need to get it aligned before any long trips.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #8

THOR #1494
Well, now we know, lol
Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
One thing to keep in mind, when these frames are built they have nothing on to of the frame thus no weight. They are than shipped to a holding yard in southern Michigan, Indiana or else where. When Thor or Forest River or other motor home manufactures need a base they will pull it out of the pool. Then they will build what ever model on this unit. Some weigh a lot more than other depending on the options. when this happens it changes the front end settings,. When you get one of these new units take it to a heavy Duty truck shop to have it aligned. Unless the Ford dealer has a commercial department I would not take it to them. Just my nickles worth
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #10

THOR #1654
Hay Evergreen, this is Mike from Highlands Ranch. Just got my 2015 Axis back from CW and they fixed the floor in the dump compartment and re-bolted all four fender extensions and re-chalked them. Also they said nothing wrong with heater but still blows luke warm air when set to 80. They fixed leak in the right rear storage compartment. But it has to go back to have the passenger window replaced, it won't open.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #11

THOR #1327
Mike from Highlands Ranch, maybe we should stay in touch and compare notes as our unit are worked on? Which CW location are you having work done?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #12

THOR #1654
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen49 View Post
Mike from Highlands Ranch, maybe we should stay in touch and compare notes as our unit are worked on? Which CW location are you having work done?
You can email me at fmteam@aol.com., Warranty work done at CW in Golden
Old 06-01-2015, 03:38 AM   #13
pkh

State: Washington
THOR #1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
- bathroom door kept coming off track, we fixed ourselves. We were going to take the door off and hang curtain, but got used to it and appreciate the door now.
Hey - how did you go about fixing this? I can put the door back on the track but it keeps coming off. We even had the dealer do it once but its already coming off again.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #2064
Our door came off when the pin did not hold it closed while driving. Door slammed open hard and jumped track. Added shims to lower the stop when the door is closed. Stayed on the track fine after that.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #15

State: Tennessee
THOR #1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen49 View Post
Our 24.1 has been sitting at CW now for 3 weeks waiting for parts and the Thor rep to arrive. Open issues:
1) Excessive wind noise
2) Air leak so getting cold air when heat is on and hot air when A/C is on
3) Melted mudflap
4) Leaking rear lights
5) Can't secure front "hood" tightly
6) Doghouse gets very hot and lots of engine noise
7) Unpleasant "wandering"
8) Stress crack in windshield

So, we sit and wait and hope all of this can be repaired and under warranty. Only 4k miles and did an extensive walkthru with dealer before taking delivery. My buddy jokes that the "honeymoon" was great but the "marriage" is so/so.

This is not meant to discourage a potential buyer but know that there are challenges with any RV. The good side is the "camping" part of the Axis is outstanding and most of my issues is the "customized Class A" challenges.
The windshield is a common problem on the Axis. They replaced mine under warranty at 3200 mi. Part of your waiting is that Thor can't get enough windshields. I put mine in CW on the first of March and Thor did not ship them the WS for 4 weeks. CW kept blaming the factory for the delay so I called Thor to confirm they were the problem. They were the problem. Just hang in there.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
We've had our 2014 Axis since Jan 2014. Have traveled about 8000 miles. Love the floorplan but aggravated with quality issues, now resolved. Really do like this coach and the gas mileage and other features, despite the original issues!

Despite the growing pains, we love this coach. Replaced the miserable couch with two Best Home Furnishing brand Costilla model stationary space saver, battery operated power recliners. Now, just have to mod the shower with different rod, and maybe replace the idiotic shower lining with the bumps in it for a flat piece to make more room in the shower, plus access the back of the TVs for connections.

Hope all the issues have been resolved and that there are no other unwelcome surprises! Really makes you wonder about the competence of the workers and the processes they use for quality control. They say all new RVs have issues, no matter what brand. Go figure.
Would love to know if you did shower door/curtain mods. We have a brand new Thor Hurricane and would like to take out the sliding glass shower door and replace it with an expandable curtain rod for more room.

Did you do anything like this?

Hope you're enjoying your Axis! We almost went that way, but decided on the Hurricane 27K instead.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
MaJ

Model: Miramar
State: Texas
THOR #2192
Magicbus: Thank you for your post with the list of details of your problems with your coach. I am encouraged to read about your modifications, and continuing fearless attitude going forward through whatever adversities! We picked up our Thor Miramar last weekend, and drove it 500 miles back home for a shakedown trip, camping one night half way. So far the outside windshield surround grommet has come off, and the awning LED light strip doesn't light up. After contacting my 2 nearest CW service departments, I am starting to take a dim view of warranties or extended service plans (I didn't buy one.). I mean, what's the point if there is a 2 week wait for parts and "warranty service authorization" from Thor, and a further 2-4 week wait to actually get work done? I'm probably look at going to a service and maintenance training course somewhere. For any work besides the really huge stuff, my "warranty" will be like yours; get knowledge, make time, and own tools!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #18

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
THOR #2204
MikeM, did you buy your Thor at Camping World in Golden or elsewhere?

I bought my Hurricane in Texas because I saved $20K over Camping World
in Longmont.

I need to get my unit in for an alignment, but I have been calling around to get a price on something like a Davis steering stabilizer built & sold by Road Master in Vancouver WA.....$800 plus OUCH!!
Still need to do more research on what other options I have in the way of a steering stabilizer for this MH>
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Hello Phil, the SafeTplus by Blue Ox is very popular. Just had mine installed last week. I can't stress how much different my Hurricane drives after front end alignment, wheel balance and Trueing, as one tire was out of round....the CHF was done, and SafeTplus installed. Such a pleasure to drive now.....confidently one handed most of the time, and it never feels like it's about ready to get away from me at any moment!, Lol
Old 06-11-2015, 01:28 AM   #20

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
THOR #2204
Tytlfaimily,

Thank you for the response about the SafeTplus by Blue OX.

May I ask what kind of money did it run?
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axis couch, axis issues, axis vent, axis windshield, axis windshield wipers