Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 01:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Florida
THOR #6556
Thor Freedom Elite 30FE repairs/modifications

All,

I have been working on my RV since I got it home. My wife and I are both handy, and this is my 4th RV (first motorhome) and her first. None of these issues are huge problems, and they are just lack of attention to detail (QA issues). So here is the list of repairs and modifications

Modifications:

- Put the vent for the range hood to the outside
- Aluminum Tape the intake/output of the A/C plenum (13,500 btu is undersized for two slide-outs, address that later)
- Aluminum Tape back of the ceiling vents plastic, then reflective pillows in each
- Great Stuff sealant each end of vents to keep debris and cold air from going into non-critical areas
- Wifi booster on 12V
- TV in master with Roku and EmulationStation
- Roku's on 3 TV's
- Playstation 4 in the front
- Tinted all windows, including cab (highly recommend)
- Installed USB chargers on each side of the master bed
- Cut the "yellow wire" turning off the TV while driving
- Vacuumed out as much of the sawdust I could in both the a/c ductwork and the electrical / water tank compartments.

Repairs/correctly installed:

- A/C Plenum was not installed correctly, was laying on its side
- No weatherstripping in the back window was leaking like crazy in the rain
- Black Waste pipe not assembled correctly, debris from manufacturing found in the black tank and stopping up the lines (this was fun to clean out)
- The ladder for the upper bunk was too long for the hooks to work
- The upper bunk edge was attached with the same hardware used to "secure" the window treatments, replaced with actual wood screws.
- no battery in smoke detector

To be done:

- LED lights are out under the awning, don't have time to fix that now
- Very concerned about the A/C sizing. I haven't yet decided how to address, so right now just focusing on cutting down the heat load as much as possible.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #2

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #6335
Thor Freedom Elite 30FE repairs/modifications

We have a quantum RS26 and the one thing we did to help keep the rv cool was to hang curtains and blocked off th cab. It does wonders.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	5021
Old 05-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

THOR #6335
Since I took that picture I have changed the curtain rod to a heavier one but this works great for keeping the rv cool when running the air or warm when running the heat. The curtains I bought from Walmart and are the blackout with the insulation.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Oklahoma
THOR #7244
Love this! We have experimented with several different ideas for an overnight stop when we don't want to mess with the Velcro window curtains. I think this is a great solution! Thanks for posting.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Florida
THOR #6556
Great look

Thanks again for that, my wife is going to make us a thick quilt, but we have put a winter blanket over the area for the time being. It's apparent how much cooler the unit is already from the simple modification.

Thanks!
T
Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #6

THOR #6335
Like I said I have changed the curtain rod to one thicker and longer so it goes all the way across and we just leave the curtains up and open them when we are driving. The other thing we found that helps is if you are not using the upper bunk to close the curtains for it also. And we don't put the curtain that came with the rv up in the cab because we bought the one that goes outside over the windows.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 30
State: Tennessee
THOR #9126
What year is your Thor 30FE? We bought ours last October (2017).
Old 07-07-2018, 03:54 AM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsgts View Post
All,

I have been working on my RV since I got it home. My wife and I are both handy, and this is my 4th RV (first motorhome) and her first. None of these issues are huge problems, and they are just lack of attention to detail (QA issues). So here is the list of repairs and modifications

Modifications:

- Put the vent for the range hood to the outside
- Aluminum Tape the intake/output of the A/C plenum (13,500 btu is undersized for two slide-outs, address that later)
- Aluminum Tape back of the ceiling vents plastic, then reflective pillows in each
- Great Stuff sealant each end of vents to keep debris and cold air from going into non-critical areas
- Wifi booster on 12V
- TV in master with Roku and EmulationStation
- Roku's on 3 TV's
- Playstation 4 in the front
- Tinted all windows, including cab (highly recommend)
- Installed USB chargers on each side of the master bed
- Cut the "yellow wire" turning off the TV while driving
- Vacuumed out as much of the sawdust I could in both the a/c ductwork and the electrical / water tank compartments.

Repairs/correctly installed:

- A/C Plenum was not installed correctly, was laying on its side
- No weatherstripping in the back window was leaking like crazy in the rain
- Black Waste pipe not assembled correctly, debris from manufacturing found in the black tank and stopping up the lines (this was fun to clean out)
- The ladder for the upper bunk was too long for the hooks to work
- The upper bunk edge was attached with the same hardware used to "secure" the window treatments, replaced with actual wood screws.
- no battery in smoke detector

To be done:

- LED lights are out under the awning, don't have time to fix that now
- Very concerned about the A/C sizing. I haven't yet decided how to address, so right now just focusing on cutting down the heat load as much as possible.
Curious if you have a picture of the yellow wire that you cut to have the main TV work while driving? I have just been running the plug to a different outlet but that’s kind of a pain