Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
2015 Thor Vegas-Coach Battery Replacement

I need to replace the coach batteries on our 2015 Thor Vegas. I’m looking at an Interstate AGM battery. The “wet” battery they offer only has a 1 year warranty and the AGM has a 3 year and I prefer the longer warranty. The price difference is only $121 vs $270. The Reserve Capacity @25 Amps is 125 for the AGM and 160 for the wet battery which is the same as the existing coach batteries. All of the other specs for the AGM are greater (cranking amps, cold cranking amps, etc). Will the lower Reserve Capacity of the AGM being an issue? Also, I like this particular AGM because it will fit in the space.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 01-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #2

THOR #4735
battery choices are certainly to each owner's decision for what makes best 'sense' for them, but paying more than double for a simple battery makes little 'cents' to me, even if the warranty is not as long - you could almost buy three FLAs for the single AGM - and maintaining the battery water levels is not the 'chore' so many folks make it out to be - you check you tire pressures, your oil and transmission fluids, so check your battery levels...simple.

A FLA standard deep-charge cycle battery has been proven over time to be the best battery and best value for the RVing industry.
If you don't live in your coach full-time, or travel more than 6 months out of the year in your RV, then paying so much more simply for a battery is probably overkill.

but, that's just my thoughts.

I've traveled a LOT in 4 years - my 'stock' 6v FLA batteries from the factory are still going strong.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #3

THOR #8717
Regarding cost, the AGM is a little more than twice the price for 3 times the warranty. That seems like a much better deal than a battery with only a year warranty. Most batteries these days only have a year warranty which seems crazy to me with the increase in battery technology in recent years. My thought is to replace with a longer warranty and not have to worry about whether they are going to need to be replaced in a year.

Thanks for your reply.
Dan
Old 01-31-2019, 04:00 PM   #4

THOR #4735
while I understand your reasoning, the assumption that FLA batteries will have to be 'replaced' in a year simply because they don't come with a 3 year warranty is being mislead - FLA batteries are well designed to last for many years, if you maintain them correctly.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:22 PM   #5

THOR #8717
Any thoughts on my question regarding the Reserve Capacity?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The only part of the warranty that counts is the "free replacement" period. The dollar rate of adjustment per month after this period is based on MSRP and will never pay off. I was looking at AGM's but after learning the charging issues and rates, having to reprogram the converter output, etc., I'll go with standard flooded batteries. The additional cost doesn't offset the small amount of time it takes to maintain the flooded ones. Lots of owners go the AGM route and love them. Just run the numbers, verify the adjustment per month rate (rarely published) and live with your choice. Is the 3 year warranty an actual "free replacement" for the entire duration or is there a "surcharge"?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

THOR #4735
the 'amp hours' is the rating you really want to be concerned with, as this is the 'time' you have for the batteries to provide power to your system before needing recharging via shore power or generator or solar(if any)...

so a battery with less amp hour rating will have to be recharged more often, potentially costing your more money simply for the fuel of the generator having to run more often, or if you are charged for the cost of electricity at your home or rv park/campground, etc.
with any solar onboard, it will certainly add to the charging of the batteries, but most of us with any experience in solar realize that it's more of a trickle charge, not a 'full charging' such as you get from shore or generator.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:48 PM   #8

THOR #8717
Gritz Carlton,

Please explain your comment: "I was looking at AGM's but after learning the charging issues and rates, having to reprogram the converter output, etc., I'll go with standard flooded batteries."

Also, from Interstate Batteries, it is a full 3 year, free replacement.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I have AGM's and love them.

You DONT have to change any charge settings with your converter (I have researched this before). The OEM converter/charger will charge them just fine.

The way I look at it is if you can afford AGM's (or dont mind spending the money) they are better option. The dont discharge very much while sitting. Also they will charge faster than LA too!

Do your research and figure out what is best for you. Everyone has their opinion on what is best. The AGM is superior in every way except price.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 PM   #10

THOR #11130
There are a few threads here that specifically address the charging requirements. With my limited knowledge, my understanding is the charging rate has to be reduced as the AGM's can be damaged with the standard output of the converters set up for flooded batteries. There will be a few here that follow the threads and toss in a better description of this process. I don't think affordability has anything to do with it...performance and choice for the specific purpose is what counts. Who spends $150K on a motorhome and can't afford batteries??? We do and plan to do a lot of boondocking. Obviously a battery that would hold up better, serve longer and be less damaged by draw-down in a boondocking situation would be the best option. I came close to buying two 6V AGM's but the conversations around the charging difference made me hold off a bit, until I know more about it. A 3 year, free replacement is a great warranty. Manufacturers don't toss in that good of a warranty without having a product that will mostly perform well during the warranty period. No one has said..."I have AGM's and hate them".
Old 01-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #11

THOR #11130
Dan...this a great link that touches on some of these "issues" and considerations. It specifically addresses the charging differences of AGM vs. Flooded. Let me know what and share here what you find out. Lots of owners are contemplating this changeover and all we can gather will be very helpful.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techni...agm-batteries/
Old 01-31-2019, 06:28 PM   #12

THOR #12231
They are talking about AGM start batteries not Deep Cycle.

I guess time will tell. I upgraded to my PD 4655 last weekend anyway....I know they are fine with AGM deep cycle... .I called PD myself to ask questions.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 01-31-2019, 06:34 PM   #13

THOR #11130
See...that's how much i know and exactly why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm all about the best battery money can buy for the application. I would change to AGM tomorrow if I felt a little more warm and fuzzy about it. My fridge will run for well over 48 hours right now on batteries so I would probably be wasting money at this point.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #14

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Agm was a great move for the Tuscany

Corrosion of the compartment and cables us no longer an issue

AGM's charge faster , less generator time when dry camping

5 minutes to reprogram the charger

Don't have to worry about freezing or discharging while storing for a couple months

Reduced maintenance time, primarily cleaning cables

Trojans seemed like the best value for me at 250 each

Chassis batteries were already OEM

Do what seems right at the time
Old 02-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #15

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Agm was a great move for the Tuscany

5 minutes to reprogram the charger
Please explain “reprogram the charger”
Old 02-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #16

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I have AGM's and love them.

You DONT have to change any charge settings with your converter (I have researched this before). The OEM converter/charger will charge them just fine.
The standard charger doesn’t need reprogramming?

Now I’m confused

Who do I believe?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #17

THOR #11130
"5 minutes to reprogram the charger"

Expand on this...it's the only thing I said negative about the AGM's and it's a 50/50 opinion about this subject. What's the Truth..The Whole Truth...and Nothing But The Truth.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #18

THOR #13362
I just read a paragraph from the link listed in this discussion...

“You can use your regular battery charger on AGM or gel cell batteries.

False. These batteries like to be charged slow and low. Many AGM/gel cell battery chargers have microprocessors that collect information from the battery and adjust the current and voltage accordingly. Some have different settings for charging flooded, gel and AGM batteries. Overcharging can kill these batteries. Also, alternators are not chargers. Don’t rely on an alternator to do the work of a *charger. If a battery is discharged to the point that it cannot start the vehicle, use a charger as soon as *possible to make sure the battery gets fully charged.”
Old 02-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #19

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
The standard charger doesn’t need reprogramming?

Now I’m confused

Who do I believe?
I know, everyone has an opinon on this stuff. Each manufacture has ther own "parameter" for charging AGM. Some say not a problem others recommend a different charge profile. Most of the AGM I have looked at are "slightly" different than the lead acid so IMO its not a big deal. Plus AGM deep cycle can take much more abuse than a LA DC.

May RV'er have just replaced the LA with AGM and used the stock converter without any issues.

Since the AGM charge quicker, and hold the charge longer I find myself Just NOT charging as often. If figured better safe than sorry.

Before with the LA I was afraid to over charge them with the OME converter (mostly from the horror stories you hear on the forums) so in the winter I would put on charge once a week for 24 / 48 hours then unhook it (I have indoor storage unit 3 miles from my house so very easy to do - you can put your on a good home timer if you want - one that you can specifiy what day to charge and for how long).

The OME level light gauge would go down one light (so 2/3 full I think?) and in two weeks 2 lights (1/3 full?). So they would drain fast but perhaps my OEM were crap anyway.

Now I put my AGM's on charge every 3 or 4 weeks. Most of the time it still shows full on the gauge or sometimes one bar. But I try to drive my RV every few weeks so this is really overkill.

Since I have the new PD 4655 converter I might just leave plugged in all the time but really I dont see any reason to do so.

So if your worried about over charging you can alway flip the converter breaker OFF when your plugged into the CG (or turn the switch at the door OFF).

I am one of those guys that checks all tank levels when I get into the RV (after being in storage) and several times a day when at the CG or on trips.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Gells seem to be more specific on the charging so IMO I would say away from Gells.

The PD 4655 will not boil the batteries and is designed to work with AGM and LA batteries.