Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
When I was doing the CHF I noticed that my oil drain plug had the on/off attachment, plus the oil filter was easily reached. I can buy my recommended oil and filter at any Walmart and change it myself in about 20 minutes. This is by far the easiest vehicle I have ever owned for oil changes. This is why I change it myself every 4,500 to 5,000 miles no matter if I am traveling or not.

Agree that the 6.8L engine in an RV is, hands down, the easiest oil change on the planet! Amazing access (ground clearance) and an oil filter hanging straight down next to the oil pan are unprecedented in my 40 years of backyard oil changes. I have ordered a permanently mounted drain valve to make it even easier. I'm amazed yours came that way.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:10 AM   #22

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I'm not saying the synthetic oil is bs, but all the hype on what a miracle elixir for your engine it is. It DOES NOT increase fuel mileage, increase horsepower or increase oil change intervals, but it does cost more which is great if that's what you want to use or your vehicle recommends using. It was designed to decrease demand for fossil fuels much like the ethanol fuel was supposed to do & that is a giant load of bs.
I do agree with you except on one point. And I'll explain. I have a road motorbike, of which I've had many. And using synthetic does extend change eternals for sure. When I use synthetic, shifting, valve noise and color all last way longer than conventional oils. I had a Ford Escape in which I used only synthetic, change around every 8K. When I traded it in, CA says you need to smog it and the tech said it spec'ed as if it was new. And it had 250K miles. So..... Should everyone use synthetic, that is up to them. I find it very cost effective.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #23

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I'm not a huge fan of synthetic oils generally speaking. However, in certain applications I think they have their place. In my Harley I use a recommended synthetic 20w50 in the motor, primary, and transmission. It does seem to keep it shifting smoother between 5,000 mile changes.

In my F350 diesel I never used synthetics and I'm not inclined to spend the extra now in a V-10 gasser. If I was only putting less than 3,000 miles on my RV per year and then storing it for long periods of time I possibly would use full synthetic because I think it does break down slower.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #24

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Agree that the 6.8L engine in an RV is, hands down, the easiest oil change on the planet! Amazing access (ground clearance) and an oil filter hanging straight down next to the oil pan are unprecedented in my 40 years of backyard oil changes. I have ordered a permanently mounted drain valve to make it even easier. I'm amazed yours came that way.
Pete, I suspect the previous owner had one put on. Which seems strange in a way because it only had 3,200 miles on it so there was probably only one oil change ever done.

It is amazing to think you can slide under the front with only a filter wrench and oil pan, or a couple empty milk jugs for that matter, no tools. RV shops should feel guilty if they charge more than $15.00 labor for one of these oil changes!