Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2017, 02:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum
State: California
THOR #5173
Angry Thor Quantum

We have what appears to be an endless list of things falling apart on our new 2017 rig. While we will keep going back to the dealer about the recent problems (cruise and auto jacks both died in second day out) would like to ask other Thor owners if they have these problems and what they did about them:

1. Outside and bedroom TV's can only be used with cable TV (e.g., no DVD capabilities to use DVD player in LR). We got no info on these TV's.

2. Pantry door replaced and warped AGAIN. Now can't open two drawers.

3. Horrible noises when opening single slide; dealer says nothing thing wrong.

4. Horrible pic on cable TV; is this because RV park has poor connectivity?

5. A/C freezes up so that compressor won't come on (hot here in AZ!)

6. House batteries die quickly unless plugged in all the time (even when setting to "store").

7. Awning was broken/bent when we got it. Although dealer fixed it, it is crooked and the fasteners on the arms keep popping out.

Seal Beach, CA
Quantum2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #2

Model: Venetian 40A
State: Texas
THOR #5962
I had 2 items replaced before I even left the dealer parking lot. Central vacuum cleaner and the privacy shade for the front window would not work. It's been in the shop for about 7 weeks with a list of things to fix. All under warranty except a bent front stabilizer plate. I like our Thor and I look at it like a punch list for a new house. What I don't like is it takes too long to get things corrected and it eats into the time for the warranty. They should extend the warranty period to cover the months it's in the shop.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum2017 View Post
We have what appears to be an endless list of things falling apart on our new 2017 rig. While we will keep going back to the dealer about the recent problems (cruise and auto jacks both died in second day out) would like to ask other Thor owners if they have these problems and what they did about them:

1. Outside and bedroom TV's can only be used with cable TV (e.g., no DVD capabilities to use DVD player in LR). We got no info on these TV's.

2. Pantry door replaced and warped AGAIN. Now can't open two drawers.

3. Horrible noises when opening single slide; dealer says nothing thing wrong.

5. A/C freezes up so that compressor won't come on (hot here in AZ!)

6. House batteries die quickly unless plugged in all the time (even when setting to "store").

7. Awning was broken/bent when we got it. Although dealer fixed it, it is crooked and the fasteners on the arms keep popping out.

Im guessing you have the 31WS? We have a Four Winds model with similar layout.

1. Outside and bedroom TVs not hooked to DVD player, only the overcab. I used the outside compartment below the TV to set up an electronics area for the outside TV. (Dish receiver, DVD player)

2. No issues with pantry, under sink drawer was warped and replaced. Ok now.

3. Have had absolutely no issues with my slide so far. (fingers crossed)

4. Never used park hookups for cable, but my Dish and DVD's have a good picture on all TVs.

5. No issues with AC. Just not enough for real hot months to cool it. Going to add another AC over rear bed with separate power supply and go directly to the electrical hookups at the campground post.

6. Yep. Those Harris batteries are garbage. Plan on replacing them.

7. No issues with awning. Its under warranty, make them fix it.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #4

THOR #5173
Thor 2017

Thanks to those who responded; we really appreciate it!
Seal Beach, CA
Old 07-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #8350
So far my auto leveling doesn't work and my awning motor just died with the awning out. Currently stranded at a campground trying to figure out what to do next.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
You can retract the awning manually if you have the correct size socket wrench. But first try it with shore power or the generator running. My awning sometimes gets stuck retracting but the extra voltage associated with being on the charger always has been sufficient to get it moving again. I'm going to try lubricating the many pivot points to see if that helps.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #7

THOR #5173
Leveling jacks pump

Our jacks have never worked correctly- but you might want to check the voltage at the pump. With both new coach batteries and the evginr running I show 14.6 volts and am told by the vendor that that is what you need for the pump. I have that voltage now but need a new circuit board...our dealer cannot get this done and we have to go to a factory approved outside repair facility 50 miles away....
Seal Beach, CA
Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #8

THOR #8350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
You can retract the awning manually if you have the correct size socket wrench. But first try it with shore power or the generator running. My awning sometimes gets stuck retracting but the extra voltage associated with being on the charger always has been sufficient to get it moving again. I'm going to try lubricating the many pivot points to see if that helps.
So I had to get online to find the proper manual since the one that Thor provided covered class As and Cs and didn't have my awning, jacks, and other components in it. I had to stack a chair on a picnic table to start retracting. It is very slow. I got doused by pooled up water and now my drill won't work. Waiting on a neighbor to charge his to borrow. I get low voltage messages on the jacks even when the generator is on? Plugged in they seem to work. My zero point is pretty far off though. I tried manual but can't seem to keep the wheels on the ground unless I accept a 2-3 degree tilt nose down. Clearance is 5 3/4 retracted in the front and 6.5 retracted in the back. This was a concern but there's literally no more room to move the jacks upward (on the front ones) since it's already butted up against the frame.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #9

THOR #5173
Low voltage

A factory rep (in person)told us that is a standard error message. By the way is your system has an audible beeping while driving, you can pry the control board off mounting board and disconnect the board from the system and no more beeping....
Seal Beach, CA
Old 07-17-2017, 12:34 AM   #10

THOR #8350
Quote:
A factory rep (in person)told us that is a standard error message. By the way is your system has an audible beeping while driving, you can pry the control board off mounting board and disconnect the board from the system and no more beeping....
Did they offer a fix or workaround? I tried to set the zero point so the controller was reading properly. My wheels were way off the ground though. Was hoping to do this quickly so the control head at least knew what level was. It says to turn the system off and press the up then down button 5 times. Didn't get it to work after multiple attempts. Tried off and on also since I doubt the control head is registering button pushes while off...
Old 07-17-2017, 03:03 AM   #11

THOR #5173
Jacks

Their answer was a new control board. The factory rep said this is a common complaint when you max out the length of the jack....our appointment to fix these things is not until mid August. But when it happens I will update this post.
Seal Beach, CA
Old 07-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #12

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
We have a 2016 QQuantum WS31

1. Outside and bedroom TV's can only be used with cable TV (e.g., no DVD capabilities to use DVD player in LR). We got no info on these TV's. We have manuals for the bedroom & exterior tv's. But,
no the dvd doesn't work with them. I am planning on getting a small sound bar to stuff into the outside compartment.

2. Pantry door replaced and warped AGAIN. Now can't open two drawers. Is it actually warped OR are the hinges out of adjustment?

3. Horrible noises when opening single slide; dealer says nothing thing wrong. Our 23' slide groans some, but I think it is normal.

We have very nice pictures on all three tv's whether connected to cable or antenna
5. A/C freezes up so that compressor won't come on (hot here in AZ!) I started our a/c here at home on a 90 degree day.It ran about 1/2 an hour and tripped 20 amp GFCI in the plug-in.

6. House batteries die quickly unless plugged in all the time (even when setting to "store"). Like already said the factory house batteries are junk.

Ours are fine. But, it retracts very slowly. I would have it completely replaced under warranty.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:05 AM   #13

Model: 2017 Quantum
THOR #9015
We got Our new quantum just last week. We share your frustration. We are noticing numerous issues since leaving the dealership.

1) one stabilizer jack operation switch wired backwards (up is down and down is up)

2) Awning failed to retract on very first use in our driveway. Got it in but it was very difficult and took many restarts / retrys and rest during the retraction effort. We are afraid to deploy it again until we get it back to the dealer for repair. Very stressful!

3) Auto step switch is non functional. Step goes in and out every time door is opened and off switch has no effect.

4) Fresh water tank reads empty on control panel even thou tank is full (looks like sensors / wires on tank were never connected to anything).

5) shade for front skylight does not open / retract when switch is used. Stuck in closed position and does not open.

6) Interior wood trim piece fell off and dinged the floor on the way home from the dealer. Fixed this one myself. cannot fix the small ding in the floor.

7) Corner molding in the bathroom is coming off from floor to ceiling. The only thing holding it on is the accent trim decal.

8) Styrofoam was clogging up many AC vents and causing some binding when turning the vent to redirect the airflow. I took off each cover to clean out the debris. Only 2 out of 4 screws where actually hitting any meat in the ceiling on almost every vent. I used the same holes to reinstall for now. 2 Screws holding most vents in place for now, but who knows going forward.

9) Slide has some chafing at the end of the bed. I removed one screw and reset it because it was sticking up above the glide trim and making a snap crackle pop sound as it rubbed on the wood bed bottom during retrace / extend. Better now but the access hatch with hinges to access the breaker panel under bed is not set properly and still binds a bit making a gouge in the glide piece. Needs to be reset / adjusted.

10) Main Flooring was not installed in good alignment. One corner near the door is not completely under the trim piece installed to hold the edge down. Dealer offered to add an extra strip to cover the edge before we left the lot.

10) ladder on back of rig was installed a bit crooked. One side is higher than the other so each rung is not really level.

Other items besides flooring were not noticed until we got home and started stocking the RV and getting it road ready.

Bottom line for me is that, I believe, this industry uses low wage / low skilled workers to assemble these rigs. Quality and craftsmanship are suffering greatly because of this in my opinion. The people who put RV together seem to have no experience in basic carpentry and electrical knowledge. This results in a very poorly constructed product with many issues to be discovered once the end user leaves the dealer. Overall craftsmanship is very poor in my opinion.

I do not look forward to the down time and hassle of getting these issues resolved but what choice do I have? Yes it is all under warranty and I am sure my dealer will address the issues. Meanwhile I have not even gone on one trip yet and I already have down time in my future with a dealer over an hour away. Who knows what else will come up when I actually use the RV for the first time next week?
Old 09-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Welcome to the fun world of RVing. I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much. I think your experiences are pretty typical and that once you get the early bugs addressed you'll get many years of good service from your machine. I had the same issue with my awning and discovered that it retracted much better (still slow but at least reliably) if we were on shore power or generator. I believe the added voltage associated with being on the charger made the difference. It went from being a huge concern to a minor annoyance. (FWIW I think the issue is that the motor is a bit undersized to its task. The awning goes out well because the gas struts are "helping" to push it out wile they are resisting coming in.).

Warranty notwithstanding I'd try to fix as many of the issues myself to avoid dealer hassles. Many of he electrical issues might be as simple as making sue wires are connected to switches and such.

All the best.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #15

THOR #5173
Yes, it's amazing how poorly these things are put together. We had a Monaco Windsor before, so we were really spoiled.

We finally got fed up while in AZ. We emailed the plant in Indiana and got a response from them within 36 hours. They said they'd make sure everything got fixed, even if after the one-year warranty ran out.

They had us take it to a non-dealership repair shop about an hour away for assessment. There happened to be a Thor rep there that day. He was appalled at all the problems. The repair place has us coming in this month, and the Thor rep, and the folks in Indiana have vowed to see it all repaired, even though we are now past the warranty period. It's been a long, frustrating year. I doubt if we would recommend Thor anytime soon
Seal Beach, CA

Tags
awning, batteries discharge, cruise, jacks, tv's