Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

.....cut..... A lot of factors for why the industry is in slump, but like it only takes a few winners on the slot machines to make everyone want to play, it only take a few problems with slides to make everyone spooked to buy. The industry has got to stop blaming customer's for slide issues. ......cut.....
I agree the industry is in a slump, but doubt it’s directly associated with slides.

Indirectly, however, it’s possible that spending on larger and greater number of slides has led to less quality, less performance, less handling, etc.

If slides add $10,000 per motorhome, or whatever the actual cost is, do we know how much better an RV could be built for that same cost? And would buyers care? Assuming buyers have a limited budget, what do they value most?

I personally don’t like slides because they leak (it’s only a matter of how much and under what conditions), they add weight, reduce motorhome structural integrity, increase center of gravity, reduce reliability, add to cooling loads, add noise, etc. Mostly, I don’t like the way they look, particularly on the inside, but will admit having one that “could” malfunction isn’t a plus. So yeah, there is slight concern it won’t work also. Not the biggest issue though.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #42

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I agree the industry is in a slump, but doubt it’s directly associated with slides.

Indirectly, however, it’s possible that spending on larger and greater number of slides has led to less quality, less performance, less handling, etc.

If slides add $10,000 per motorhome, or whatever the actual cost is, do we know how much better an RV could be built for that same cost? And would buyers care? Assuming buyers have a limited budget, what do they value most?

I personally don’t like slides because they leak (it’s only a matter of how much and under what conditions), they add weight, reduce motorhome structural integrity, increase center of gravity, reduce reliability, add to cooling loads, add noise, etc. Mostly, I don’t like the way they look, particularly on the inside, but will admit having one that “could” malfunction isn’t a plus. So yeah, there is slight concern it won’t work also. Not the biggest issue though.
Don't think I was in any way saying the industry's slump was directly tied to slides? In fact I said "A lot of factors for why the industry is in slump". I don't know the actual statistics or data of the failures, I assume the industries does. I do know that right now the only way for consumer to have peace of mind is buy one of those expensive ESP plans to cover Slides hydraulics etc. This is where I question the integrity of those that run the business. Imagine being on a GM, Ford or Toyota forum site where some car owners were constantly berated their cars for engines problems? People with real; horrible stories getting stranded on vacation etc. But at the same GM felt their engines were really without issue, but few customer keep forgetting to put oil in the cars or wrong oil etc. Auto industry could actually go with longer warranties and require customers to perform routine service so the engines are certified functioning. That is basically what the auto industry has done. I think I like the intent slide(s) concept in RVs etc. When / if I buy an RV, I will expect the slides to fail, but not necessarily be prepared for when / where it may happen. THe latter is real issue in my mind. Since I will not have warranty after year 1, I HAVE TO MAKE it a part of my overall budget planning expense. If they don't fail, I will just consider myself one of the lucky ones. I think the issue is fixable either by redesign, and/or training. However; akin to some profiting by and don't want to see telemarketers go away, I question the urgency of a fix because of the amount of revenues for the entire RV industry; has to be significant. So much so that; one poster earlier despite all of his efforts to get assistance on how to get his RV drivable with faulty slide, there was no industry help to get his RV off the street and back to a shop. There is nothing stopping Thor nor any other to make a video of every single RV and proactively sending to every customer so they have emergency procedures at least to get it to service center. A Real CEO of Thor should declare that for any Thor unit less than 7 years old where the SOP provided to get one of their RV's safely back on the road to a certified shop for service will automatically be covered by Thor's Warranty.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #43

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
....cut..... I do know that right now the only way for consumer to have peace of mind is buy one of those expensive ESP plans to cover Slides hydraulics etc. .....cut.....

Why do you assume that’s the “only” way? What’s wrong with doing without?

In today’s world everyone buying an RV should know what risk slides and hydraulics involve. Initially the industry claimed the new design was bulletproof, but time has proven that’s mostly marketing.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #44

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Why do you assume that’s the “only” way? What’s wrong with doing without?

In today’s world everyone buying an RV should know what risk slides and hydraulics involve. Initially the industry claimed the new design was bulletproof, but time has proven that’s mostly marketing.
There is nothing wrong with doing without an ESP. You must have missed me in earlier posts, but I would NEVER buy an ESP. You may have misinterpreted my statement? I said...

I do know that right now the only way for consumer to have peace of mind is buy one of those expensive ESP plans to cover Slides hydraulics etc.

That statement was made because in my view a good number of people do purchase ESPs. I believe most will tell you they do so for their peace of mind. IMO they do not have a peace of mind due to risks involved if they encounter slide related issues similar to the many that are freely discussed daily on a good number of RV forum sites and more.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-21-2019, 02:47 AM   #45

State: Colorado
THOR #14056
Want to close out this issue. Bottom Line is the CW got me in on Tuesday and the unit is ready for pickup tomorrow. I can’t believe it. Wonderful service by the CW here in Golden CO. They ended up replacing BOTH motors and said it was good to go. No wiring issues and no battery issues. Feel fortunate that it all worked out. Thanks to Lou at CW! Thanks also to all of you for your great support
Old 06-21-2019, 03:39 AM   #46

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBeerbower View Post
Want to close out this issue. Bottom Line is the CW got me in on Tuesday and the unit is ready for pickup tomorrow. I can’t believe it. Wonderful service by the CW here in Golden CO. They ended up replacing BOTH motors and said it was good to go. No wiring issues and no battery issues. Feel fortunate that it all worked out. Thanks to Lou at CW! Thanks also to all of you for your great support
OUTSTANDING!! Glad to hear you are up and in business again. In you OP you said the wife was really in a funk and I don't blame her. Happy too hear Camping World came through for you. The CW service department near us has a lousy record. It really is good to hear of one that does a good job
Old 06-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #47

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBeerbower View Post
Did they by any chance point to root cause as to why they felt both motors needed to replaced? Also, since CW only charges $59 to install most anything, how much did the motors set you back for?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wonder if the O.P. is making progress with this?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #49

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
See Post 45, then go back to sleep.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I was up pretty early: the Missus had to be at the Hospital at 5:30 AM...
Thanks!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #51

State: Colorado
THOR #14056
The unit is still under warranty as it was purchased new in February. I was told that one motor was not working and they replaced the other for good measure. So, no cost to me!
Old 07-04-2019, 03:05 AM   #52

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #6185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I have a 2017 Challenger 37LX with a full wall slide that has had to be reset a time or two in the past, but the last few weeks I have had to do the reset every time I put the slide out and in.

For anyone still following this. First off I’m glad the OP got everything taken care of, and shocked to hear that a Camping World came through for them. As a follow up to my original comment, I believe I have fixed my slide issue. After doing the reset every time we brought the slide out or in for around a month it finally got so bad that I had to disconnect all the wires from the controller plus hit the reset button. Then I heard gears grinding in the front motor, and had to help the motor by pushing on that end of the slide while bringing it in. Once I got it in I removed the metal plate that covers the motor on the inside wall. On top of the motor looked like some type of a circuit board with a round magnet with a little hole in the middle of it. The magnet looking thing was just sitting up there about ready to fall off, so I picked it up and pushed it down on the shaft sticking out of the top of the motor. Then I tried the extend and retract twice and it worked better than new. I’m guessing that is some kind of position sensor that couldn’t work because the magnet was popping off of it.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #53

Model: Challenger LX
THOR #6185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
For anyone still following this. First off I’m glad the OP got everything taken care of, and shocked to hear that a Camping World came through for them. As a follow up to my original comment, I believe I have fixed my slide issue. After doing the reset every time we brought the slide out or in for around a month it finally got so bad that I had to disconnect all the wires from the controller plus hit the reset button. Then I heard gears grinding in the front motor, and had to help the motor by pushing on that end of the slide while bringing it in. Once I got it in I removed the metal plate that covers the motor on the inside wall. On top of the motor looked like some type of a circuit board with a round magnet with a little hole in the middle of it. The magnet looking thing was just sitting up there about ready to fall off, so I picked it up and pushed it down on the shaft sticking out of the top of the motor. Then I tried the extend and retract twice and it worked better than new. I’m guessing that is some kind of position sensor that couldn’t work because the magnet was popping off of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9754.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	18732Here is a picture of what I was talking about. That round black magnet looking thing was sitting at an angle, and ever since I snapped it back in place the slide has been working flawlessly.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #54

Model: BB35 Omni
State: Oregon
THOR #15808
Same thing happened but tech had me remove one of the T-bars under slide and it went back in. Four screws. I have to have dealer reinstall. The biggest problem I have is you level the rig and have a green light. I extend slide and rig leans to that side. Jacks says level but whole rig leans so I have to keep bathroom door closed or fill swing wide open!
Old 07-21-2019, 01:43 AM   #55

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwithae View Post
The biggest problem I have is you level the rig and have a green light. I extend slide and rig leans to that side. Jacks says level but whole rig leans so I have to keep bathroom door closed or fill swing wide open!
You can reset the jack's level to show about 0.5 degrees with the driver's side high. When you extend the slide the rig should be close to level. The bathroom door is usually a good check on low level the coach is. For me, I like the left front low so the A/C water runs off there rather on the outside kitchen, door, or the beer storage compartment.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:18 AM   #56

Model: BB35 Omni
State: Oregon
THOR #15808
Thanks for the advice! I didn’t know that was a option to do. I’ll look that up on how to do. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #57

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Manual leveling is your best option
Old 07-24-2019, 03:56 AM   #58

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #14761
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Thor has an exclusive on the 3-Trak System for the full-wall slides and it works very well. Thor engineers designed it as a result of slide issues...mostly from the 2013 era with the Palazzo nightmare. Occasionally an owner may have a failure...Thor doesn't manufacture the motors. Nothing works forever, but...as stated above...the owners with problems are mostly the only one's you'll hear about. Mine work fine. Assume you do the "re-sync procedures" every time you put them in and out?
I agree and I for one clean the track regularly when in use. I use a Toothbrush and lithium white lube on the tracks baby powder on the the rubber sweeps
Miramar 2017 34.2, roadmaster front & rear sway bars, sumo shock, Roadmaster stabilizer bar, Koni shocks, F150 crewcab coyote motor , 2004 40th #26th edition 911, E350 2 door coupe, Mini Paceman 2013 6 speed manual toad/ RV
SANDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote