Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
Thor Vegas Console

I have a problem with the 12V outlets in the console. They keep blowing the fuse associated with them (F17). How do you remove or access the hard plastic console?

Old 03-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There are four bolts glued to the dark plastic with nuts on them holding it on.

You can reach under the console on the bottom left & right and unscrew the nuts (they were hand-tight on my Axis). To get to the top two requires removing the radio. With the radio removed you can see and reach the top two at the left and right back.

Hard to describe and I don't have pictures, but I hope you get the gist.

When you have all four nuts removed gently pull out on the bottom until the bolts clear the holes and then lift everything up to get the top bolts out.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

THOR #1670
thanks
Old 03-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by srolfe View Post
I have a problem with the 12V outlets in the console. They keep blowing the fuse associated with them (F17). How do you remove or access the hard plastic console?
What are you trying to power thru the 12v outlet? Could it be that the amperage you are pulling is more than the fuse? When I tried to hook my inverter thru the 12v, it drew too much power and blew the fuse. I hard wired it to the battery with a separate fuse and it worked fine.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #5

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Oneil,

How (and where) did you set up your 12v hardwire for the inverter? I have a very small inverter that is suppose to use a cig lighter outlet, but said outlet is not where I want to use the inverter.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:48 AM   #6

THOR #1670
I had a Sirius radio plugged into the outlet, it worked for awhile but I twisted the receptacle and blew the fuse.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:46 AM   #7

THOR #1713
out 12v worked for awhile (weeks), then blew a fuse. the dealer found that it had been miswired, the corrected it and put in a new fuse.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:03 AM   #8

THOR #1765
[QUOTE=DocMike;28107]Oneil,

How (and where) did you set up your 12v hardwire for the inverter? I have a very small inverter that is suppose to use a cig lighter outlet, but said outlet is not where I want to use the inverter.

Actually, I wanted the inverter under the dashboard so that I can plug in two 120v fans that I am hanging above the two front seats and to run my laptop. So I loosened the "dog house" and ran two #8 wires thru the "dog house" back to the batteries. That way I didn't have to drill any holes.
I ran wires from the starting battery thru there too for the small solar panel that I use when I leave on vacation.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:16 AM   #9

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Oneil,

Doc
In my first Vegas, I drilled a hole thru the floor to the left of the door down to the front storage compartment. From there, I drilled a hole thru the compartment wall to get the wires to the battery. Inside, I ran the wires up the left hand side of the door, under the plastic door frame cover, to the TV compartment above the door. From there it was easy to fish the wires to the cabinet above the sink (where the DVD hookup is). With the inverter in that cabinet, I could just unplug the TV and plug it into the inverter when we were dry camping. Good idea, but we never really did it and the inverter was a pain to use up in the cabinet. So in the new coach, I put it on top of the dog house, under the dash. Much easier installation.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Mind sharing a pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
In my first Vegas, I drilled a hole thru the floor to the left of the door down to the front storage compartment. From there, I drilled a hole thru the compartment wall to get the wires to the battery. Inside, I ran the wires up the left hand side of the door, under the plastic door frame cover, to the TV compartment above the door. From there it was easy to fish the wires to the cabinet above the sink (where the DVD hookup is). With the inverter in that cabinet, I could just unplug the TV and plug it into the inverter when we were dry camping. Good idea, but we never really did it and the inverter was a pain to use up in the cabinet. So in the new coach, I put it on top of the dog house, under the dash. Much easier installation.
Oneilkeys, do you have any pics to share from either install?
Old 03-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #11

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodgers View Post
Oneilkeys, do you have any pics to share from either install?
Sorry, I am out RVing for the weekend and my iphone is broken. I will post pictures next week when I get home, but basically for the inverter, I just ran two #8 wires from the battery to the front of the dog house via a fuse at the battery. I loosened the dog house and ran the two wires thru the top where the dog house fits into the engine compartment. There is a rubber seal that runs along there, so the dog house just fits back in compressing the rubber seal around the wires. I then put the small inverter on top of the dog house as far back toward the engine as it would go, and secured it with double sticky back tape. Went back under the coach and secured the wires with plastic ties. Works great.
If you do that, it is a good time to run wires for your solar panel (if you want one) and to add some insulation to the inside of the dog house and above the engine in the engine compartment in front of the dog house. It helps quite a lot in noise abatement.
I will post pictures for the 12v meter next week.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #12

THOR #1765
Inverter and Solar Panel Wiring

Here are some pictures of those two mods. My iPad will only post one picture at a time, so I will have to do this in multiple posts.

The first is a pic of the inverter on top of the dog house. You can see the black and white #8 wires attached to the back of the inverter and where they exit over the top of the dog house to the engine compartment. From there they run directly back to the coach batteries where they are connected via a 40 amp fuse. The smaller black and red lines are also attached to the back of the inverter. They provide a means to hook up the solar panel (using a quick disconnect) to the coach batteries. A second pair of black and red wires come thru the top of the doghouse from the chassis battery providing the capability to hook up either the coach or the chassis battery to the solar panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1626  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #13

THOR #1765
12v Meter for Coach Batteries 1

I wanted to put the 12v meter for the coach batteries someplace where it would be easily accessible, easily installed and cut as few holes as possible. I chose the cabinet above the sink. I built a holder for the meter and just screwed it into the front molding of the cabinet. The left hand inside walk of that top cabinet comes out with two screws. Behind it is the controller for the bunk bed slide and in the back, access to the back of the TV. You can just push the wires thru to the back of the TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	178
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1627  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #14

THOR #1765
12v Meter for Coach Batteries 2

From there you can run the wire the width of the TV and run the wires down the divider that runs down the wall to the left of the TV. The wires fit underneath that long thin panel to the rug on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	155
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1628  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #15

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Oneil,

Once you get the wire to the house batteries, do you have a fuse and then run the wires to one battery or + on one and - on the other battery?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #16

THOR #1765
12v Meter for Coach Batteries 3

The wires come out at the bottom of that panel. I then drilled a hole into the outside storage area in front of the door and ran the wires down. Inside the storage compartment the wires run down the left hand wall which is open to the bottom of the coach and then to the coach battery where they are connected via a 2 Amp fuse.

You could also run your wires to an inverter thru that hole and up to the cabinet where I installed the meter, giving you a second place to put an inverter. I did that in my first Vegas.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	185
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1629  
Old 03-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #17

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Oneil,

Once you get the wire to the house batteries, do you have a fuse and then run the wires to one battery or + on one and - on the other battery?

Doc
Yes I use a fuse to protect from the red wire becoming grounded to the chassis. It does not matter which + or - posts you hook up to. They are interconnected so they show the same voltage.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #18

State: Washington
THOR #3931
Same issue as SROLFE

I too have blown fuses using the 12V console outlets with a Sirius XM radio. Have you found a solution?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #19

THOR #1765
Read the Above thread. The solution is to add an inverter directly to the coach batteries. The original 12v recepticals are not wired for anything but very small amperage.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:59 PM   #20

THOR #1670
I am going to look at it this weekend, I think the wires made contact with each other when the receptacle was twisted. Fuse blows whether something plugged in or not.