Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2016, 01:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Connecticut
THOR #4972
Vegas batteries dying on both chassis and coach

2017 Vegas, 25.3. Went to get it ready for a weekend trip today and the chassis battery was completely dead. We had driven it just 2 days before to fill up on propane.

Charged and tested the coach battery. Then ran a test light current draw test (disconnect the negative terminal and put a test light in series) with everything turned off. The light lite up which would indicate a current draw. But I'm not familiar with the electrical components of a motor home. Is there anything in the isolators or converters, etc, that would could be causing this?

Also, a few weeks ago we left one of the ceiling vent fans running for about 48 hours - completely discharged the coach batteries. Is that typical?

I'm just wondering if there is a connection between the two events or ...

Thanks,

Curt

Old 09-29-2016, 01:30 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
If you use the search function above and search battery drain, you will have an evening of reading on what drains your batteries. Your chassis battery should stay charged for a week or two if it is fully charged when you leave it. Just driving it for a few miles will not charge it. Many prople put a disconnect switch on the chassis battery to stop the drains. I put a solar trickle charger on mine.

As far as the coach batteries are concerned, there is also a drain even with the store switch in the store mode. Running a fan for two days will drain down any battery. Motors are significant draws.

If you store your RV at home, it is a good idea to plug it in every once in a while to charge up the batteries. It is also good to periodically run your generator, but turning the generator on for a short period of time will not do much to recharge the batteries.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I had same issue when I had my Vegas home. It sat a week and house battery so dead e start switch not work.

I now leave Vegas connected to house whenever it is parked at home. I leave a/c on 85 which keeps it dry and leave switch in use position. Also leave fridge on.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I put battery disconnects on both and leave both off when in storage.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Muggs,

We do the same, I just have to remember to monitor the water levels in the batteries a little more closely to be sure no loss of fluids during the times it is hooked up to shore power.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I do. Part of regular routine. Vegas primary use is towing racecar at least twice a month. We also will use for trips. I even in stalled 30 amp outlet in main for it.

Gas milage seems to improve a little wvery trip. Is at 10.4 for trip to WDW campground with generator running 65. JusT passed 3750 miles.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Doc -- just sent you an email.

Ed
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote