Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Thor Windshield Wiper Recall

FYI .....just received a Thor recall notice 2018-556 Safety Advisory RC000161 related to windshield wiper system on certain 2013 coaches. Mine happens to be a 2013 ACE 30.1. The recall suggests windshield wiper systems on affected coaches should be inspected by the Dealer. They will troubleshoot the system per Thor requirements and worst case it may result in total replacement of the wiper system. Of course there are no instructions for the customer since there is legal obligation I assume for Thor to sign off on safety recalls.

I have never had a problem with our wiper system (yet) and have driven through a few monsoons in various parts of North America over the years. I have checked them on many occasions based on other coach owners complaining of wiper arm problems in this forum. The only mod I have done was to adapt the wiper arms to take slightly shorter and much cheaper automobile wiper blades....because paying $10 per wiper is better then $50 per wiper.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #2

THOR #2631
While I am at it..... I was hoping Thor would actually recall the entry door latch issue where folks are being locked into or out of their coaches. We still have the original problem lock in our unit......but I have taken great care to open it up/lubricate and align the pins.......plus I close the door like a hornets nest is attached to the door jam. So far we have been lucky.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:50 AM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
FYI .....just received a Thor recall notice 2018-556 Safety Advisory RC000161 related to windshield wiper system on certain 2013 coaches. Mine happens to be a 2013 ACE 30.1. The recall suggests windshield wiper systems on affected coaches should be inspected by the Dealer. They will troubleshoot the system per Thor requirements and worst case it may result in total replacement of the wiper system. Of course there are no instructions for the customer since there is legal obligation I assume for Thor to sign off on safety recalls.

I have never had a problem with our wiper system (yet) and have driven through a few monsoons in various parts of North America over the years. I have checked them on many occasions based on other coach owners complaining of wiper arm problems in this forum. The only mod I have done was to adapt the wiper arms to take slightly shorter and much cheaper automobile wiper blades....because paying $10 per wiper is better then $50 per wiper.
What was your mod to the arm?
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

THOR #2631
Hi, well this is probably not the correct area of this forum to post coach mods but since you asked here......I purchased a couple Bosh J strip wiper arm adapters off Amazon (I think you can still purchase them if you check) and I basically used all stainless steel nuts/bolts/flat and lock washers to attach the adapters to the existing J hook portion of the OEM wiper arms. (I used three holes for extra security). This did require drilling corresponding holes into the OEM J hook wiper arm.....but if you take your time and use locking pliers you can easily complete the task. Nice thing is the Bosh J hook allows you to use 30" Michelin truck/car wiper blades from Costco for example instead of trying to find and pay the stupid cost of OEM RV wiper blades which are made to fit the wider OEM J hooks. Also if you decide this is not working for you, just take off the Bosch adapters and you are back to the OEM J hook arms. OEM wiper blades are a little longer but on my ACE this mod works very well. Each season I just check that the stainless hardware is still secure and forget it. Some pictures attached for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	14605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3404.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	14606  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3405.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	14607  
Old 12-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

THOR #2631
Just one other comment......I did this mod many years ago and so I may have obtained the J adapters locally since I note they have three holes while the Bosch J adapters from amazon that I show have four holes.......the main thing is you want strong quality J adapters.....the ones I used had extra steel ridges along the edges if you look at the pictures I posted previously......just adds a little more rigidity I think.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #6

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Just one other comment......I did this mod many years ago and so I may have obtained the J adapters locally since I note they have three holes while the Bosch J adapters from amazon that I show ...
That's TOO cool. I've never seen them, thanks! Oh goody, a new search. Thanks!

Now if only I can adjust the wiper arms so they don't hit when the driver's is full swing then I can reinstall the passenger side.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #7

THOR #2631
Glad you like this mod. I did some Amazon cruising and the attached looks closer to what I actually used than my first posted picture. The J12B stamping on the picture J hook adapter seems to be the one I used. Good luck......for the price and a little effort its some money for your gas tank instead. I would suggest removing the wiper arm to drill the holes just so an arm does not flip back onto the windshield and result in a crack or chip.

https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Wi.../dp/B015YD1US8
Old 12-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
We have had the same door lock issue and I think it is related to the "throw" on the sliding deadbolt. Also the plastic "receiver on the door jam is also a little lose and that's where I found additional play allowing the plastic to work it's way out of the jam, so watch it does not fallout and get lost. I keep getting caught on the "stud" for locking the door, ripped my jacket, so watch out for that as well.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:52 AM   #9

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
About the wiper problem: switching to a slightly shorter blade is probably a smart move. The whole problem is due to the tremendous force needed to rotate the huge wipers. If you stand in front of the vehicle with a hose to wet the windshield and watch the wiper post wobble as the arms swish back and forth you will note the posts tend to tilt off center rather than stay stationary in their position. All that torque required to move the blades against the windshield is overloading the mechanism and the mount to the fiberglass decking. As some have stated, the wiper mechanism can actually be forced beyond its limit and wind up 180 degrees out of position hanging down toward the ground as it swishes back and forth for the passenger side. The drivers side may go beyond the windshield and go off the side and get hung on the drivers side mirror. For a while I thought it was a freak thing on MY RV....who ever heard of such a thing? After being on the forum for a while it appears to be one of the top 25 things to happen on a Thor coach.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #10

THOR #2631
Yes the slightly shorter wiper blades would reduce the wiper arm torque requirement...so an added benefit as well. I forgot to mention previously if you look closely at the side view of the stainless hardware I used to attach the mod J hook, I also used blue locktight on the nut threads.....just to make sure they would not easily loosen or come off in use (in case lock washers were not enough). The blue can be mechanically undone without heat if removal is required.....unlike the red locktight.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37BT
THOR #11321
If you have problems with your wipers, or any other part or system, submit a report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You have a report of your issue, and THE NHTSA may issue, or expand a recall, on issues already on recall.
If they don't know, they can't help, or take action.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 12-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Many thanks javelin for posting the mod on adapters. I am tired of paying big $$$ for crappy WS wipers also. I found some adapters with the same interchange P/N as yours on Amazon with free shipping the next few days. Link is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Wi.../dp/B015YD1US8
Old 12-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #13

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
About the wiper problem: switching to a slightly shorter blade is probably a smart move...
The issue with my Axis and some others have reported is the driver's wiper only went half way up, to about 45* from day one. The pass'r side went to full sweep. I worked with a CW dealer tech to adjust it, to ultimately try putting the dvr's over the pass'r. Good enough...until I was in a gusty storm and the pass'r arm would blow past the glass and banging onto the pillar. Having given up on CW's skillsets I tried with smaller blades ($$) on the pass'r and gave up, removing it entirely. It's a terrible design. The pass'r arm rests over the drv'r arm. There is no adjustment in the drive mechanism. Rain'X helps but that's not the answer.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
[QUOTE=mcr1010;158227]Many thanks javelin for posting the mod on adapters. I am tired of paying big $$$ for crappy WS wipers also. I found some adapters with the same interchange P/N as yours on Amazon with free shipping the next few days./QUOTE]
Why not just replace the rubbers in the wiper blades? Two refills are $10 from Amazon.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #15

THOR #1249
[QUOTE=Beau388;158267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Many thanks javelin for posting the mod on adapters. I am tired of paying big $$$ for crappy WS wipers also. I found some adapters with the same interchange P/N as yours on Amazon with free shipping the next few days./QUOTE]
Why not just replace the rubbers in the wiper blades? Two refills are $10 from Amazon.
That would work out good if you could find some. I asked some of the parts stores, including NAPA, if they had them or could order them and got a no-go. Seems the market is close nit on wipers that fit large wiper arms.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #13712
On the Palazzo with 32 inch wipers, you have few choices, most auto parts don't carry longer than 28 inch blades. Bought them on Amazon, but don't remember the price but $24 each sticks in my head.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #17

THOR #2631
Well a lot of interest to say the least. I am surprised. Just to clarify I measured both my original 2013 ACE 30.1 wiper blades (which I keep as emergency backup) as 29.5 “ long (so likely considered 30”). I checked Costco on line and it looks like the max size you can get is in fact 28” blades. So for all folks considering this mod please consider your existing wiper blade length and the potential loss of sweep area on your windshield vs the cost and motor torque reductions. The compromise affects your safety and that of other drivers potentially. Perhaps because the ACE has a smaller windshield (and shorter OEM blade length) than many full size class A’s this mod has been fine for the wife and I over the years (and has not been an issue through many storms). Every situation is different so stay safe, drive safe is the priority here.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #18

Model: Axis
THOR #11770
Thor Axis Wiper Controls

Here is a Question about the axis wiper controls. The controls on the column don’t work and the controls to the left are very inconvenient and unsafe. You have to search for them, taking your eyes off the road. I don’t understand why Ford installed them and they can’t be used. Other Axis models have digital dashes, and correct switches. Why the differences and is there a ford Rv contact? Appreciate any info. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas. BwB
Old 12-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brnwaterbill View Post
Here is a Question about the axis wiper controls. The controls on the column don’t work and the controls to the left are very inconvenient and unsafe. You have to search for them, taking your eyes off the road. I don’t understand why Ford installed them and they can’t be used. Other Axis models have digital dashes, and correct switches. Why the differences and is there a ford Rv contact? Appreciate any info. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas. BwB
Our Axis does not have wiper controls on the stalk--we have one of the few stripped chassis without them. Thus my thought is Thor was just covering their bases when they designed the Axis/Vegas units as some of the stripped chassis' they get from Ford may not have wiper controls on the stalk.

They probably order the chassis in bulk and just take what they get from Ford (and likewise Ford may just build them with whatever they have available at the plant--although it is unlike an OEM to do something like that).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #20

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
My Appointment at CW Regarding Thor Wiper and Steps RECALL

OLD POST: "We arrived on time 758a. They had me signed in by 830a. They took my RV back at 9a. We shopped around Camping World store and purchased $78 of crap.

At noon I checked on RV and was told info was being typed into computer and that I was complete.

1215p I was told that recall for the steps was not necessary because previous owner had replaced steps.

Regarding wipers, was told that nuts were too rusted to be removed, but wipers were leveled as much as possible. They recommended that I replace wiper assemblies on both sides (at my cost). They will text me with the estimate later.

We departed at 1230p and was eating a nice meal at Lanes Packing on US96 by 120p.

That's how my appointment went at Camping World. Oh, I was unable to speak with the mechanic working on my RV because he did not speak english."

NEW POST: I have not attempted to remove the nuts and change the wiper blades for fear of damaging the wiper assemblies. What is the best way to remove the nuts or should I plan on purchasing the wiper assemblies as CW stated?
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote