Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #7434
Oil Change

I am picking up my 2017 Thor Miramar 37.1 on Thursday. It just dawned on me it has 1600 miles on it. How often does the oil need to be changed. Should I be asking dealer to do this before I pick it up?

Old 05-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by figtaz50 View Post
I am picking up my 2017 Thor Miramar 37.1 on Thursday. It just dawned on me it has 1600 miles on it. How often does the oil need to be changed. Should I be asking dealer to do this before I pick it up?
I would. I was always told on a new car you want to put 1000-1500 miles on it then change the oil to allow break in. Then go another 3,000 on standard oil to make sure the piston rings have a chance to set then if you like switch to synthetic for longer engine life or just change oil as recommended.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
It more than likely came from the factory with synthetic oil. I changed mine at 3 to 4K and run full synthetic in it.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #7434
How much does an oil change approximately cost? Does the dealer have to do it?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Changed mine as soon as I got it home.
Not only did it have about the same mileage as yours but based on the dates I saw on components the chassis had probably been produced 10 month prior so for me it was time.
Mobil 1 oil and a Motorcraft oil filter from Walmart amounts to pretty cheap insurance.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
It costs us about $75 for our motorhome oil change service at the local Ford Fleet/RV Service Center. Add another $25 if you want to add a chassis lube to it.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
The dealer should deliver the unit with fresh oil and filter. They don't want to but I don't think thats too much to ask of them.
Mine had 3000 miles of delivery miles plus mileage to and from shows and test drives. I insisted on an oil change.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We took delivery with just over 3,000 miles of our "gently" used unit. Dealer had automatically changed oil/filter on engine plus the same on the generator, which had 28 or 29 hours on it. With the low miles you are talking about they may not feel the need to do it yet.

I'm getting ready for another change at 6,400. There are two maintenance schedules in most of these owners manuals, one being for severe driving conditions. Since we always are towing, but only less than 2,000 pounds I stay somewhere in between the schedules for oil changes.

This second one I am doing a little sooner, but after this I will be changing between 5,000 and 7,000 miles using synthetic.

I think everyone has to make up their own schedule and it should be based on the owner's manual suggestions.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Since we're seasonal campers and, being in MI, put the camper away for the winter: I just simply change the oil in both the engine & genny in the fall before it takes its winter nap. This is regardless of how many miles we've put on it in the previous season (it could be 500 miles or 5000).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
The newer engines have an "oil life" readout on the information screen. I used this as a guide on my 2014 Ram diesel. Usually changing by the 25% reading. Since we lived in the mountains and towed I would get maybe 6 to 7,000 miles between changes. The new MH also has this screen and the indicator said there was 35% life left with 3200 miles and 60 hrs idle time at delivery. Does anyone else go by this readout or do you just consider it another "Idiot Light"?
Old 05-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #11

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
The newer engines have an "oil life" readout on the information screen. I used this as a guide on my 2014 Ram diesel. Usually changing by the 25% reading. Since we lived in the mountains and towed I would get maybe 6 to 7,000 miles between changes. The new MH also has this screen and the indicator said there was 35% life left with 3200 miles and 60 hrs idle time at delivery. Does anyone else go by this readout or do you just consider it another "Idiot Light"?
The Ford F53 chassis does not have that feature.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:16 PM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
As Thor29.3inAZ said - not a feature on my MH (F53) - but I do use/follow it on my vehicles that have it... It considers more than just time and miles - but type of driving. I typically change oil on those vehicles when the 'idiot light' tells me to..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc
As Thor29.3inAZ said - not a feature on my MH (F53) - but I do use/follow it on my vehicles that have it... It considers more than just time and miles - but type of driving. I typically change oil on those vehicles when the 'idiot light' tells me to..
Also not in any RV's using the E-Series chassis either (E-350, E-450, etc.).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote