Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
I did use the Command Electronics total LED replacement and the quality is good. What is not good is the full sponge type gasket that they give you with them. I chose not to use their gaskets and went with a large strip of black butyl tape to seal both the pieces of the lights. Stainless steel screws with rubber o-rings, then silicone sealer around the edge of the lights. You will know if you were completely successful sealing the lights the first time the sun hits them after a good rain. There should not be any condensation.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #22

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I did use the Command Electronics total LED replacement and the quality is good. What is not good is the full sponge type gasket that they give you with them. I chose not to use their gaskets and went with a large strip of black butyl tape to seal both the pieces of the lights. Stainless steel screws with rubber o-rings, then silicone sealer around the edge of the lights. You will know if you were completely successful sealing the lights the first time the sun hits them after a good rain. There should not be any condensation.
I did the same clear (thin) silicone over the butyl tape to keep the butyl tape looking bright white. Great minds think a like.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #23

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Update: Got the screws loose. The lens was cracked because the holes in the rv didn't line up so they simply angled them, missing the gasket in a couple of places and forced them in. Also some water damage. Very busy week before we leave on Saturday so I replaced the entire unit and will spring for led units on our return along with the butyl tape and stainless screws after a drying session and treatment with minwax. What kind? Just sealer? Also going to seal up the holes that don't line up and drill new ones. The middle lower hole just grazed the top of the cutout. Two screws were angled and completely missed the gasket. There is water damage on the lower part of the cutout and the backing board. Glad that light bulb burned out.
Yes, my lense holes were also cracked. The cause are the improper width screws setting hard in the plastic, but not the wood.

Earl, just fyi, if you use butyl tape, there are no need for o-rings. The butyl tape forms a water-tight spiral seal around each screw.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #24

State: Utah
THOR #14768
other options for sealing the wood

You are absolutely correct about the light flange not having mounting points/distance between screws to far apart. This happens on all brands. I had water get behind the light and cause delamination. I bought a #12 RV delam repair Kit and Sikaflex sealant from RV Camper Motorhome Delamination Repair. The sikaflex actually seals and bonds the light to the fiberglass siding.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #25

Model: Axis
State: Louisiana
THOR #13864
my driver side was leaking both had condensation in the lights. this is a 2018 25.3 bought new 7 months ago.

paid the extra to have thor plugs but now that i removed the old lights you can't get to the plugs so i'm splicing. Also using butyle tape instead of the supplied gaskets. would love to see someones finished project doing this.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzshack View Post
would love to see someones finished project doing this.

Documented on here numerous times with pics and fixes. Try the "search" feature.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #27

Model: Axis
State: Louisiana
THOR #13864
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Documented on here numerous times with pics and fixes. Try the "search" feature.
i used search that's how i got to this "thread" guess doesn't matter anymore i'm done. This is something i shouldn't have to be doing anyway on a couch bought 7 months ago...

Old 06-23-2019, 12:20 AM   #28

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Tail lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzshack View Post
i used search that's how i got to this "thread" guess doesn't matter anymore i'm done. This is something i shouldn't have to be doing anyway on a couch bought 7 months ago...

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I had a hard time getting the Thor connections to reach too but found that if i cut their zip ties and pulled up a little, there was enough slack. Maybe yours wouldn't have had the slack anyway. Glad you got the issue fixed. Many of us have done it and I also admit that it is quite ridiculous that we had too. You would think that Command Electronics would understand that the sponge gasket they send is pretty much worthless. I also used a good black caulking on the outside of the lights even after using the butyl tape. The LEDs are also quite bright compared to the old bulbs so you will be glad you made the improvement. Come to think of it, why do they use bulbs at all anymore? Yep, cost cutting.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #29

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
FWIW - Recommend you order "Command Ultra Modern LED Flush Mount Triple 12 Volt Tail Lights" directly from Command Electronics versus E-Trailer as they are $59.95 there rather than $78.49 on E-Trailer (however, shipping is free over $99). Also, for $10 more you can order them with the "Thor" Connectors, but only directly from CE. Part Number is -- 003-30LEM2 - or - 003-30LEM3 with the Thor Connectors.