Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2019, 11:08 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKSTOOL View Post
They said it was an issue with the carburetor and would have to be replaced ($1600),
I'm no mechanic but I know that is only a couple hundred bucks at most. I think we need to go back to the black alley mechanics for small items like that.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #22

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
BEAU388, I learned something from your post of the chassis modifications on motor coaches , I was not aware that the business MORryde did all the chassis modifications, I will dispute their claim in your sub post by them, I worked in a frame/axle shop for years after getting out of the military in 72, we repaired and modified frames on all of the major manufactures, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, White Trucks, International Harvester, Mack and Freightliner, including the medium trucks by Ford and General Motors, any new truck when it leaves the factory has a big decal on both sides of the frame in big letters that state, DO NOT WELD OR DRILL FRAME FLANGES, every thing that attaches to the frame is either bolted or riveted, all heavy truck and medium truck frames are a heat treated steel or aluminum, the only time welding is permitted on a frame is when its repaired, shortened or lengthen and then plating on the inside or outside or both is required to reinforce the area that was welded, I installed the HWH hydraulic levelers on my Thor AXIS 25.4 and it also has a heat treated frame and when this frame was lengthen they broke every rule in the book, we did front and rear end alignment on everything including motorhomes, we also sold and installed a lot front end accessories to correct handling and tire wear problems, looks like MORryde wrote their own book of standards, I know FMVSS is FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD, what is QVM standard??
Old 10-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #23

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We've seen a lot of frames fail?
Old 10-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #24

THOR #7440
Lots of frame rails would crack an break right behind the cab on the Peterbuilt, truck and pup and truck and transfer, all aluminum, they were hauling asphalt and always failed when on the job dumping, never on the freeway, driver could always hear the crack/break
Old 10-17-2019, 12:56 AM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Let me rephrase.
We've had a lot of Thor frame breakage?

I did a search worldwide, and found nothing at all about a dramatic frame failure ever on a Thor, and dead seldom on any non abused vehicle of any sort.
Mine was a cursory search. I imagine you've done a detailed search or have an example on hand?
Old 10-17-2019, 01:10 AM   #26

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
We also sold and installed a lot front end accessories to correct handling and tire wear problems, looks like MORryde wrote their own book of standards, I know FMVSS is FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD, what is QVM standard??
The Qualified Vehicle Modifier Program
The QVM rating system seeks to measure a builder's ability to meet Ford guidelines and assesses a builder's commitment to continuous improvement. The QVM rating system is not designed to compare one coach-builder to another, but is used to analyze the full potential of each individual builder.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:11 AM   #27

Model: Palazzo
State: Colorado
THOR #13375
I feel your pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie200 View Post
Driving away steering pulled to the right, loud rattling sound above my head, water pouring under chassis, AC rear quit working, awning leaking, TV door leaking rust in compartment, main slide quit working, check engine light on. So as I said I have to deal with three different customer service. Thor for coach problem, Freightliner for steering, cummins for engine. Camping world had home for three weeks didn't fix anything. I needed to use it as relatives coming into town I pulled it out. They taped the windshield, as they had to contract work out. Two weeks away, so I took home to Freightliner for steering, alignment out of pocket cost 520 as it's not covered, its home ownership expense. During that time check engine light came on. Three sensors later, two wiring harnesses still comes on. Two weeks later still in shop with no idea of getting fixed anytime soon. My trip to Florida on hold. Wife is fuming, I'm not happy. Service center where it's at isn't to excited about it either because they have to deal with Cummins for approval to do anything. Same with Freightliner. Freightliner by the way for steering said to take measurements left and right. Which they did. They than said to shim the right side up but failed to give service center part number. They couldn't find parts so called Freightliner for part numbers and was told it's a aftermarket item no such part you need to make them. So two days wasted on that. Cummins said send ECM data to them so we can read info. They got info this morning but didn't call service center to tell them what if anything they found. So now I have to wait till monday as cummins level 3 guy has gone home.
Been there, admire your patience to list issues without blowing a gasket.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #28

THOR #7440
Thor was not in business back in the day, Winnebago, Fleetwood, Vogue, Allegro, Blue Bird were all the typical along with a lot of others that have since gone out of business, they all suffered cracked and broken frames and all failures were at a joint where the frame had been cut to lengthen the wheel base, most common area to fail were welds just in front of the rear axle next to the spring hanger and just behind the front axle of that spring hanger, we did notice that the coaches would differ on where the frame was cut, most motorhomes do not go up and down the road 5-6 days a week 8 to 12 hours a day like a commercial truck with the same basic chassis, these chassis would also fail and they had never been cut to extent or shorten the wheel base, frame rails on the larger trucks are not made by the. truck manufacture, Peterbuilt aluminum frame rails are made by Alcoa, I do not recall who made the steel frame rails, good chance Ford is having their frames made by a supplier.