Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #8653
Question Throttle Body

Hi all!

New to RVing (2016 Vegas 25.2) and look at the forums regularly. Have a question I was hoping someone could help with. Coming home from a trip and the wrench light comes on. Google shows that it most likely has something to do with the throttle body. Ford dealership says its related to the throttle body but on the coach side. The throttle body has to do with air intake for the engine. I do not understand how this would be a Thor issue and not a Ford issue. Thoughts???

Old 06-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How do you know its the throttle body? Did someone pull codes? (If so do you know what codes?)

Oh and welcome to the forums.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:02 AM   #3

THOR #8653
Yes, the Ford dealer pulled 2 codes and said they were related to the throttle body and pedal. He did not give me the codes. He said they were checking all of Ford's work and that it was probably on the coach side.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
You are going to have to have the Ford dealer explain, how a throttle body issue, clearly part of Ford's chassis and drive train, could possible be a problem on the house side. From the information you have supplied, it does not seem reasonable.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #5

THOR #8653
Well, I heard back from the dealer. He says the codes were for Switch E Circuit High and Switch E Circuit Low. Which has to do with the pedal. He says everything related to ford checks out so it must be a pinched wire on the coach side. He firmly believes that Thor is responsible for running the wires from the throttle body/pedal sensors to the dash. I'm beginning to think the dealership doesn't know what they are doing.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That actually makes more sense. I think the Ford dealer knows what they are talking about.

"Throttle body" is a part on the engine, but pedal sensor isn't--its actually right there at your foot and very likely that Thor could have done something installing the carpeting, the doghouse, or dash even.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
As much as I'd like to blame Thor (lol), I'm 80% sure this has got to be on Ford. Throttle body/pedal sensor and wiring connection issues are pretty common on Fords. The pedal, it's harness, ECM and throttle body wiring and connections are all basically untouched when Thor does their thing. They "shouldn't" have to even disconnect or remove any of those components when building a Vegas or Axis on that chassis.

I'm gonna bet if you take it to Thor or an RV dealer they're gonna say it's Ford's problem. That has more to do with the fact that these places really don't want to deal with RV's and their headaches. The Ford dealer tried to pass the buck, I'd go back and say "Nice try, now diagnose it fully and fix it." IF it ended up being something Thor did, all you'd have to do is show them the repair order and what they charged you and you "should" get your money back. haha.

It also goes down to who you'd want doing the repair. I'd MUCH rather have a Ford tech fixing an issue like this than an RV tech.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree with what gmtech is saying...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #9

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree with what gmtech is saying...
Me too... And, I'd much rather have a Ford Tech fix the issue!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Amen...
Having a "throttle by wire" setup on my Spyder: I can tell you that when they go wonky: it's never a good thing!
(Throttle body unit replaced three times on my 2010 Spyder, and the throttle position sensor was replaced once... )

But the 2014 and 2018 bikes have been flawless!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:47 PM   #11

THOR #8653
Hi all, I so appreciate all of your responses! I spoke with Thor and they assured me that they do not intentionally mess with any wiring other than the ignition switch. I called Ford Motor Customer Care and they thought it sounded more like a Ford issue but would side with the dealer since the dealer has looked at the vehicle. My thoughts are these....even if Thor did pinch/scratch/fray a wire while putting the coach on, the wires, the sensors, the throttle body, and the ECU/ECM are still Ford's. I am going to go back to the dealer in person and ask them to walk me through all they checked. If the problem is intermittent then they may not see the problem unless/until it is acting up. I may have them replace the sensors and wiring. The Vegas ran fine until the wrench light came on - no rough idle, no power surges, no loss of power, etc.

Tags
throttle body problems, wrench