Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Thumping Noise

In fact he may be doing this:

Click to activate:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	201
Size:	940.8 KB
ID:	2802  

Old 08-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #42

State: Florida
THOR #1249
That must be what is in my slide wall. I wish he would go for another beer and stay out of my slide.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #43

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
We had a loud thumping noise happen when going down the highway. It came on all of a sudden and I thought my antenna came lose or something. What I found was the front fender trim came loose from the coach and was flapping in the wind. I could have sworn the sound was coming from above... but it wasn't.

I'd just check some different things - it could be something flapping under the coach but resonating from above.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #44

THOR #5551
I own a Fleetwood and considering a Thor Outlaw. While driving my fleetwood initially i was having noises over the cab area. I started taking things apart and found things not properly secured and lots of left over scrap goodies from the manufacturer. Plastic band strap and remove the scraps and the noise was gone.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #45

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
It does help greatly

I watched the video, bought the correct stuff and did the slide lube job last month. Had a couple trips since and the thumping is gone..for now. So this slide lube is a real thing to do.
Thanks for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamcamper View Post
I also had a banging noise coming from the slide wall, which is behind my head when driving. It became increasingly worse over time. The noise had become so significant that I could literally feel it in the wall.

To be honest, I lubricated the slides accordingly to all the videos out there, and the noise went away... completely.

My guess is the noise was actually the slide mechanism shifting fore and aft ever so slightly during travel, and the lubrication eased this movement thereby eliminating the noise.

Its been well over a year, and the noise has not returned.

Regards...
Old 02-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #46

State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Possible source of noise?

I'm reviving this post that I posted to and followed for awhile to add a bit of newly discovered information...at least to me.

Several folks posted here that their banging noises might be caused by the slide mechanisms or the protective awning that covers the top of the slide.

I think you're all on to something here. We spent a few nights at a very remote RV park in NM where the winds were simply awful. We thought stuff was going to be ripped off of our coach during the night. With a couple particularly bad gusts we heard the same banging noise we would hear occasionally while on the road.

Hubby went out in the nastiness to see what he could see and determined that the wind was buffeting the protective awning that covers the slide. There seems to be a fair amount of play in there, causing the bumping, banging sound.

We're in the process of searching for a possible "padding" option for when we are stationary and if the winds pick up...not sure what can be done while on the move.

We have a 2016 Hurricane 27K.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #47

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #18099
Thump behind my head when driving

I see this is an old post, but just letting you all know that my brand new 2020 38MB Outlaw has a very obvious knocking noise right behind the driver's head when moving... even very slowly moving. It sounds like someone is inside the wall trying to get out. I guess I can get used to it, but it is quite annoying. My wife has ridden there to try to identify the source. No, it is not the blind or inside cabinet or anything simple like that. If anyone can suggest how to get inside that wall to inspect, please let us all know your secret. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #48

THOR #1249
You can try some slide SEAL lube on every seal around your slide and see if that will fix it. It fixed my knocking. Seems the seals will stick-slip and sound like a knock.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #49
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If the slide has cabinets look for a false bottom. We had an issue on the Challenger which turned out to be a screwdriver that Thor left in a false bottom during the assembly process and it was rolling around and hitting the wall. There was a panel held down by 4 screws which hid a cavity of the cabinet that was about 1 to 2 inches deep. For two years I thought the knocking was the shade right below that cabinet. Noticed the false bottom when we were unloading cabinets for our annual inventory and restocking during de-winterization one year.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #50

Model: ace 27.2
State: New York
THOR #9334
I have a 2018 ace 27.2.. same noise directly behind driver . I will check the chase . I did check the bumper on the topper and it was adjusted correctly. Keep looking!
Old 04-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #51

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Miramar 37.1 SOLD
State: Michigan
THOR #2972
thump noise behind the driver head

2018 Miramar 37.1 with the same thumping sound, has anyone, figured it out yet.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #52

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #5061
We get a hard knocking sound in our 2017 Hurricane 29M when it rolls a bit after a bump. Seems like it is coming from under the shower or bathroom. We added sway bars when new which was a great improvement. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 07-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Did you guys ever let the family of Hoboes out of the storage compartments yet?
Old 07-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #54

Model: Miramar 37.1 SOLD
State: Michigan
THOR #2972
Thumping sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb View Post
2018 Miramar 37.1 with the same thumping sound, has anyone, figured it out yet.
I have a 2018 miramar also a 37.1 it’s been at Thor more than I’ve had it, just got it back the other day and they said 2 times before it was the shaft that goes down the side of the slide from the motor to open the slide, this time they told me it was the roller under the slide was not touching the bottom of the slide, they said they put a adjustable roller in, I have not heard the noise again, but it’s only been a week or so, no over the road yet. I did take it for a rain test the other day and I did not hear it then and that was 60 miles
Old 07-25-2020, 10:40 PM   #55

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I know in my Axis.... the dinning room slide would thump or creak some on rough roads....so I ran it out and back in. The helps some.

But I purchased a slide lock and they seems to eliminate this noise 98% of the time. Sometimes if it returns I run the slide out and then back in then lock it in place.

I think maybe slides loosing up 1 or 2 mm while traveling which allows some movement? Run runing them out then back re-alines them.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:18 PM   #56

THOR #10644
I see the last post is over a year old now, but just wanted to add my "raised hand" to this issue as well. Mine is a 2016 Outlaw 37RB. Same exact symptom.
BUT, I gave up looking for it a while ago. There are far too many other more important defects that I've been working on since purchasing it new!
Anybody ever find a definitive answer to this?
Old 11-28-2021, 10:44 PM   #57

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you guys ever let the family of Hoboes out of the storage compartments yet?
Leprechauns will hide in those areas and make sounds just to cause trouble. They also hide stuff from me also when working in close quarters.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:17 AM   #58

State: Nevada
THOR #970
Mine stopped when Thor had an RV repair company update the slide rods from Alum to Stainless. Supposedly they went to that design in 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmichel View Post
I see the last post is over a year old now, but just wanted to add my "raised hand" to this issue as well. Mine is a 2016 Outlaw 37RB. Same exact symptom.
BUT, I gave up looking for it a while ago. There are far too many other more important defects that I've been working on since purchasing it new!
Old 11-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #59
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
If the slide has cabinets look for a false bottom. We had an issue on the Challenger which turned out to be a screwdriver that Thor left in a false bottom during the assembly process and it was rolling around and hitting the wall. There was a panel held down by 4 screws which hid a cavity of the cabinet that was about 1 to 2 inches deep. For two years I thought the knocking was the shade right below that cabinet. Noticed the false bottom when we were unloading cabinets for our annual inventory and restocking during de-winterization one year.
So yours came with the optional Tool-Kit Package:
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:14 PM   #60

Model: Outlaw 38MB
THOR #18099
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmichel View Post
2020 38 MB - Like you, I kinda gave up trying to find the gremlin in the wall. I did extensive work on the "squeaking dash" which was even more annoying. However, unlike you, I have had very few problems with the Outlaw. Other than a delaminating window and personally resealing the shower pan, I guess we have been lucky. Oh yeah... also still trying to make it drive straight. Thanks for raising your hand!