Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 310
THOR #12189
Tire Inflation Question

I think I know the right answer to this but I want to check myself out here (keyword 'think').

The sticker on the door jam says 75 front 80 rear. The tires are 75 all around, give take 1 or 2.

Question: did someone under inflate the rear on purpose to leave room for expansion?
__________________

__________________

TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #2
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,517
THOR #2829
The sticker is the recommended tire pressure if you are running fully loaded - at your GVWR... It is safe to use at any weight - but may result in a harsher ride if lightly loaded. It is a 'cold' pressure and accounts for expansion and higher pressures that will result from traveling.
Getting your rig weighted in traveling conditions (cargo, fluids including gas, propane, water, people) to get axle weights (CAT Scales at truck stop as example) - and checking the tire manufacturers website for inflation recommendations at that weight will give you another data point - safe to use at that weight range.
Many threads on the subject...
__________________

__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 310
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
The sticker is the recommended tire pressure if you are running fully loaded - at your GVWR... It is safe to use at any weight - but may result in a harsher ride if lightly loaded. It is a 'cold' pressure and accounts for expansion and higher pressures that will result from traveling.
Getting your rig weighted in traveling conditions (cargo, fluids including gas, propane, water, people) to get axle weights (CAT Scales at truck stop as example) - and checking the tire manufacturers website for inflation recommendations at that weight will give you another data point - safe to use at that weight range.
Many threads on the subject...
Thank you. Got it
__________________

TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:22 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 310
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
..Getting your rig weighted in traveling conditions (cargo, fluids including gas, propane, water, people) to get axle weights (CAT Scales at truck stop as example) - and checking the tire manufacturers website for inflation recommendations at that weight will give you another data point - safe to use at that weight range.
Many threads on the subject...
Had it weighed. 400 over on the GVWR somewhere. Had a full tank+ (to the brim) and 1/3 fresh water. Can't discard anything and all OHC half empty. Not sure where it's coming from. Under GCWR by 4k+ lbs. 4900 on the front, 10k on the rear, 3560 on the towed (picked up weight somewhere here too) - 18460 overall.


Not exactly sure how to read the tire inflation chart. Once saw this for the same tire rated at 9880 for D. Seems I'm little light up front and heavy out back. Wonder if I positioned myself right on the scales.

Don't want to be anal but should I be 'worried'?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TirePressure-CatScale.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	15477   Click image for larger version

Name:	TirePressure-Chart.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	15478  

__________________

TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 2,035
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Had it weighed. 400 over on the GVWR somewhere. Had a full tank+ (to the brim) and 1/3 fresh water. Can't discard anything and all OHC half empty. Not sure where it's coming from. Under GCWR by 4k+ lbs. 4900 on the front, 10k on the rear, 3560 on the towed (picked up weight somewhere here too) - 18460 overall.


Not exactly sure how to read the tire inflation chart. Once saw this for the same tire rated at 9880 for D. Seems I'm little light up front and heavy out back. Wonder if I positioned myself right on the scales.

Don't want to be anal but should I be 'worried'?
I would be, spent too many years pulling TTs too close to the tires' load ratings. I always replaced with higher load rated tires for more safety margin.
__________________
The USER Formally Known As TFryman
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 157
THOR #12830
Firmly believe in over spec’ng Equipment particularly tires.
__________________
2017 Mercedes Chateau Citation 24SR, flat towing at times a 2013 Honda CRV
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 69
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Firmly believe in over specíng Equipment particularly tires.
Same here

And, no it doesn't matter where you stop on the scale if the axles you are weighing are completely on the platform
__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 7,776
THOR #8860
"Question: did someone under inflate the rear on purpose to leave room for expansion?"

Tire pressures are always measured when cold, and expansion due to heat build-up has already been taken into account...
They probably went to 75 psi on all four tires for the purpose of saving some time...
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 240
THOR #10354
Load ratings

I think you should just believe the posted load ratings for the tires you have. The manufacturer has already taken into account different road conditions when coming up with their numbers. The safety margin is built into the numbers. When measuring your own rigs weight at a weight station, your towed weight' tongue load needs to be added to the rear weight for a true rear weight load. Are you sure you are not carrying some gold bars for an emergency. They are very heavy.
__________________
Thehobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #10
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 69
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I think you should just believe the posted load ratings for the tires you have. The manufacturer has already taken into account different road conditions when coming up with their numbers. The safety margin is built into the numbers. When measuring your own rigs weight at a weight station, your towed weight' tongue load needs to be added to the rear weight for a true rear weight load. Are you sure you are not carrying some gold bars for an emergency. They are very heavy.

You definitely never want to run lower pressures than the name plate. As the others have said run it across the scale. You need to run both sides of the axle at the same pressure necessary to match your actual loads.

Many tire sidewalls are ruined by running them to low. In my experience running the tire side wall value has worked fine although many folks like to have the tire cushion the ride a bit. I like it a bit firmer and don't like the squirm you get running them lower.

Bottom line is if they run hot then you are either under inflated or over loaded and if you are at 130 already then hopefully they are not running hot.

Be sure to let us know what you come up with after weighing the axles
__________________
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:32 AM   #11
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,517
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
Had it weighed. 400 over on the GVWR somewhere. Had a full tank+ (to the brim) and 1/3 fresh water. Can't discard anything and all OHC half empty. Not sure where it's coming from. Under GCWR by 4k+ lbs. 4900 on the front, 10k on the rear, 3560 on the towed (picked up weight somewhere here too) - 18460 overall.


Not exactly sure how to read the tire inflation chart. Once saw this for the same tire rated at 9880 for D. Seems I'm little light up front and heavy out back. Wonder if I positioned myself right on the scales.

Don't want to be anal but should I be 'worried'?
My opinion, some of the 'C's are shipped too close to their GVWR - not leaving room for reality...
You are 400 over now - but I would bet those OHC (and basement) will get more 'stuff' added as you go. And if you travel with more passengers than at weighing...
You will need to be very conscious of what you pack. Move some heavier 'stuff' to your toad - as you have GCWR to give (moves weight off the RV tires/suspension)
You certainly want your tires at the placard pressure at that weight.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:45 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
wingnut60's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
State: Texas
Posts: 518
THOR #3109
The tires themselves should have the "max weight @ xxxpsi" on the sidewall. Once you know this, then check to see what weight is on tires front and rear. You may be over the GVWR but under the tire capacity--or not...
__________________
2015 38RSSA now it's our home
2005 36TK3--retired, but it was a good one
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:17 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 157
THOR #12830
What model chassis and coach is this?
__________________
2017 Mercedes Chateau Citation 24SR, flat towing at times a 2013 Honda CRV
Yaktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:56 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 310
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
What model chassis and coach is this?
I 'd like to thank everyone for their help.To quote each of you and personally thank you would make this post verbose. I'll refrain. You have to love this place. Thank you all.

The chassis is an extended E450 for a 2017 Thor Chateau at 33'. The tires are shown. While I agree with some to overcompensate on load ratings, the tires are brand new. However, I would be a fool to waste the RV to save some tires. Load rating is E. They don't seem to make the size in a higher capacity?

Thanks again.
__________________

TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:24 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
Posts: 310
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
My opinion, some of the 'C's are shipped too close to their GVWR - not leaving room for reality...
You are 400 over now - but I would bet those OHC (and basement) will get more 'stuff' added as you go. And if you travel with more passengers than at weighing...
You will need to be very conscious of what you pack. Move some heavier 'stuff' to your toad - as you have GCWR to give (moves weight off the RV tires/suspension)
You certainly want your tires at the placard pressure at that weight.

I would normally agree however, I could have gotten away with much less room than I have. Who knew? I bought this rig for reasons I believed were valid at the time. I could have gotten away with less. It is what it is.

I get your point on moving stuff to the towed. I have to find a bed cap to do that. I've been passively looking and it's probably time to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the feedback. Take care and safe travels.
__________________

__________________

TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2