Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Tire pressure monitor alternative

I recently ordered and installed Alligator V2B Inflate Through Valve Stem Caps on our Vegas 24.1 and the Kia Soul we use for towing.

I'm not quite ready to spend a couple hundred dollars on an electronic monitoring system. These caps allow me to easily check my tire pressure manually before leaving each time. No need to remove the cap as they are self-closing.

I bought a set of 10 on Amazon for $12.99 and I'm really liking the way they work!

Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Tire Inflation

Thanks for the heads up looks like a good option. I just ordered them for my Vegas.
Kev
Old 07-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
I saved my tire monitoring system when I sold my fifth wheel. I was going to install it on my new Four Winds, but the only thing it ever did for me was to tell me "yep, that explosion you just heard was the driver side rear on the fifth wheel and that white plastic flying all over the highway in your rear view mirror was due to a blow out". Now I just bought a trucker type gauge to check all tires before each trip. Cost about $50.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
the thing is, checking before the trip and monitoring during the trip are two very different things.
One is not really a replacement for the other.
As I understand it, most blow-outs occur not as a sudden even without warning, but instead happen because of slow leaks or increases in temperature.

So let's say you check your tires and they are all good. Then, pulling out of the parking lot, you pick up a nail resulting in a slow leak. An hour down the road, your pressure in that tire has now dropped to a danger point with a pressure too low for the load. temperatures are on the rise, and at some point.... bam!

I have also read where folks have improperly installed the brake system in their TOAD, while hooking up, so that the brakes are on and dragging. Their 300HP diesel doesn't even notice the dragging tire.... but their temperature alarm let them know right away.

I don't have an interest in any TPTMS company, and have never had an event where one saved me.... but the theory behind them make sense to me, enough for me to have invested in one for safety sake for my family and those on the road around me. I just wish they came integrated and standard, because I hate putzing around with these after market "bolt-on" things....
Old 07-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
the thing is, checking before the trip and monitoring during the trip are two very different things.
One is not really a replacement for the other.
As I understand it, most blow-outs occur not as a sudden even without warning, but instead happen because of slow leaks or increases in temperature.

So let's say you check your tires and they are all good. Then, pulling out of the parking lot, you pick up a nail resulting in a slow leak. An hour down the road, your pressure in that tire has now dropped to a danger point with a pressure too low for the load. temperatures are on the rise, and at some point.... bam!

I have also read where folks have improperly installed the brake system in their TOAD, while hooking up, so that the brakes are on and dragging. Their 300HP diesel doesn't even notice the dragging tire.... but their temperature alarm let them know right away.

I don't have an interest in any TPTMS company, and have never had an event where one saved me.... but the theory behind them make sense to me, enough for me to have invested in one for safety sake for my family and those on the road around me. I just wish they came integrated and standard, because I hate putzing around with these after market "bolt-on" things....
Absolutely!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
.....cut.... I just wish they came integrated and standard, because I hate putzing around with these after market "bolt-on" things....
Yeah, it's hard to figure why they are not standard when most cars come that way.

I think it's even more important with dual rear wheels because it's harder to tell you have a (partial) flat. I agree they should be standard on all new vehicles.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Yeah, it's hard to figure why they are not standard when most cars come that way.
They are on ALL cars, its required these days:
Quote:
This final rule requires installation in all new light vehicles of a TPMS capable of detecting when one or more of the vehicle's tires, up to all four tires, is 25 percent or more below the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure (placard pressure) or a minimum activation pressure specified in the standard, whichever is higher.
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; TPMS; Controls and Displays. Final Rule.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
The problems I see with what we have in cars now, that make them not so great
no way to alter set points based on alternate pressures/loads
now way to tell which tire is affected
just an idiot light, with no indication of what it is now, how it's trending, etc...
Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
The problems I see with what we have in cars now, that make them not so great
no way to alter set points based on alternate pressures/loads
now way to tell which tire is affected
just an idiot light, with no indication of what it is now, how it's trending, etc...
I can't quite recall exactly, but think it's my sister's Suburban that transmits tire pressure data to dash. It's a few years old now, but being able to see actual pressure (like 42 PSI for front right tire) is handy.

Newer cars I've driven seem to have simpler warning light indicating one tire is low. That's good but not as useful on truck-based camper.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
When manufactured by the millions, they can't cost much. If anything, it would seem trucks/RVs need them more than cars.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
Our 2015 Equinox shows the pressure in all 4 tires.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:27 AM   #12

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I saved my tpms from my 5th wheel and plan to install it on the mh once I pick it up. I'll have to buy two more sensors but its worth it to me. While driving I'm constantly checking the pressure and temp. Only takes a second to check, press a button but it give me peace of mind knowing the tires are good.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:49 AM   #13

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Bandorr,

Have you figured how to get the information from Equinox's system into the RV comand center without using 4 more sensors on the TPMS used for the RV?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 30q
State: Ontario
THOR #4175
First, great thread. We recently bought a 2001 hurricane 30q and love it. One thing I have been thinking about is exactly this issue, our cars have it and I feel a little naked without it on my motor coach. I was wondering if you have suggestions for some aftermarket display units? I like the idea of knowin the exact tire pressure for all 6 tires, but would settle for merely the idiot light version as well.

Thanks

Jim
Old 07-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #15

THOR #1765
If you are going to spend money, buy one that gives you pressure and temperature on all tires and alerts you if one changes. I think it is one of those safety features that is a necessity. People seem to spend a whole bunch of money on things like solar systems. A solar system won't save your life. A TPMS system might. If you search in this forum for TPMS there are several threads that discuss the different kinds and why each one is better. Your choice on which one, but I would definitely get one. I have Tire Minders and like the system. I am sure that several others out there are just as good.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
DocMike, No, and I don't believe there is such a system to be found. I could use my cell phone and its OnStar app I guess to monitor the pressures.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Worth looking at

Amazon $199. Worth looking at:
CARCHET Tire Pressure Monitoring System 6 External Sensors
Old 07-18-2016, 12:32 AM   #18

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
It's Chinese without much of a track record that I can find. However, it is half the price of the Tire Minder TPMS that I bought. If it works - a big IF - it certainly is a great price.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
4 sensors

Reviews on their 4 sensors system are good.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #20

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
Reviews on their 4 sensors system are good.
No reviews on Amazon, two on E-Bay... Looks like they just arrived in the U.S. Alibaba has 59 reviews, but they are in China. I'm not sure I trust that. By the way, you can buy a 4 wheel system for $95.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2511