Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 01:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #9146
Angry Tire problem. Thor 4 Winds 31L. Ford E450

Anyone out their have flat tire problems?
I have experience 2 flats in a 2 month time frame ..... one blowout on Mischilan tire which ripped the valve and “ruined” the other “dual” tire. Bought 2 new Goodyear’s from the road assist guy, sent by the Good Sam folks. 2 months later the Goodyear outside tire went flat while driving down the highway; have not been able to determine why on either flat. Can only guess that the blowout was caused by overinflaion and the flat by a bad valve core. Questions:
Do I have any recourse for reimbursement from Mischilan or the roadsides guy or the 2 month old Goodyear?
If so where do I start and who do I contact?
Where should I take this flat Goodyear to have it checked out; Ford dealer or Goodyear tire store?
Does running a tire on low or no air damage the tire.... don’t know how far I went on the Goodyear till I realized it was flat?
What could possibly cause this problem and is this a common problem?

It should be stated that I have been diligent about checking tire pressure.... although I’m not sure about the accuracy of the gauge in the case of the Mischilan. Recently purchased a new gauge for my air compressor.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain A View Post
Anyone out their have flat tire problems?
I have experience 2 flats in a 2 month time frame ..... one blowout on Mischilan tire which ripped the valve and “ruined” the other “dual” tire. Bought 2 new Goodyear’s from the road assist guy, sent by the Good Sam folks. 2 months later the Goodyear outside tire went flat while driving down the highway; have not been able to determine why on either flat. Can only guess that the blowout was caused by overinflaion and the flat by a bad valve core. Questions:
Do I have any recourse for reimbursement from Mischilan or the roadsides guy or the 2 month old Goodyear?
If so where do I start and who do I contact?
Where should I take this flat Goodyear to have it checked out; Ford dealer or Goodyear tire store?
Does running a tire on low or no air damage the tire.... don’t know how far I went on the Goodyear till I realized it was flat?
What could possibly cause this problem and is this a common problem?

It should be stated that I have been diligent about checking tire pressure.... although I’m not sure about the accuracy of the gauge in the case of the Mischilan. Recently purchased a new gauge for my air compressor.
Maybe get a gauge separate from the inflator to check a difference? 5psi is igsignificant but more is.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: California
THOR #9748
Sometimes shit happens and there is no one to blame. If you have good sam tire protection plan they should cover the tire regardless of fault or reason.

There is a reason why cars have tire air pressure sensors, they avoid blowout and give you warning there is a problem.

You NEED to buy a tire pressure warning system to protect your life and your wallet.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
I have the eeztire and like it except for one thing. If I had to do over I would get the flow thru sensors vs the caps .
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
When one tire goes it places double load on it's twin. This will cause overheating and separation. I can't imagine not "feeling" a flat tire as you move along as it would change the dynamics of the coach. Plus, it seems it would be pretty noise under there with the flat flopping around. How fast were you driving when the tire went flat?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
It could be more than likely the valve extender causing the flats. On your outside tire you probably have the U shaped extender. These some times turn on the valve as you go down the road.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:33 AM   #7

State: Tennessee
THOR #9146
Tire problems

I was traveling the interstate at 65or70 didn’t notice noise or any change in handeling .... only stopped because a motorist was pointing and gesturing.
Put air in as best I could at a gas station and then found a Ford dealer who could only air it back to 80 lbs. .... checked every half hour and in about 1and 1/2 hours cllled Good Sam for road service to have the spare put on.
Guess my mind would not let me believe a 2 month old tire would go bad.
The valve extender was turned, also when I got home I put air in the flat and the valve core was totally missing.
Where can you buy the “eeztire” pressure warning system?
Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Amazon of course.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
That looks like an awesome device! Pete answered my only question...the flow thru lets you add air without removing from valve stem...right? How long do the batteries in the transmitters last? It's amazing...you pay cash for an RV so you don''t have payments and the crap you buy each month makes up for what is equal to a monthly payment anyway.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
That looks like an awesome device! Pete answered my only question...the flow thru lets you add air without removing from valve stem...right? How long do the batteries in the transmitters last? It's amazing...you pay cash for an RV so you don''t have payments and the crap you buy each month makes up for what is equal to a monthly payment anyway.
I bought my eeztire with enough sensors for the RV, toad and my cargo trailer.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
certainly not a 31L specific issue....
but my take on this issue is
the rear axle is mostly likely at capacity or even overloaded.
and it's likely that the tires have been run while under-inflated, and therefore overloaded even more, even if only occasionally....
In my estimation, this is generally the case for all the class c's approaching 30ft long or more...except maybe the super c's
and all four of my outside factory michelins were covered in little cracks....very much before the time they should have been...based on both age and miles...

when my 31L was new I took to gauging the tires every morning. A royal pain in the neck. I fought with the braided extenders from the factory for a while leaking and just generally hard to gauge and to air up....
finally took them off
then I struggled with getting at the inner valves....
eventually permanently removed the wheel simulators. Wish I'd done that day one!
and eventually I bought a TPMS, mine is a TST. Good piece of mind but not a total end to worries....

I did have a blowout once, and it wasn't the failure mode that the TPMS would have warned about.
I replaced the entire set at that time.

I have considered many times swapping out to the larger wheels...
https://ricksontruckwheels.com/wheels-ford-e350450.php
a few threads about them on the forum
I would have done it at the time of blowout, but on a trip, no time, etc...

so for now I've been just hyper vigilant about my replacement tires