Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #12545
Toilet ball leaking.

Have a 23U Four Winds. Toilet ball is leaking. Does not hold water. Anyone else have this problem? Thinking of applying vaseline jelly thinking it might improve the seal between the ball and bowl. Other than taking toilet partially apart, looking for any other information. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Mine will not hold water unless I release the foot pedal quickly allowing it to snap shut. It's an extremely tight fit.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #3

THOR #12545
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Mine will not hold water unless I release the foot pedal quickly allowing it to snap shut. It's an extremely tight fit.
Thanks. I'll have to try this. I have pulled up on the pedal, but no avail.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #4

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a small package of hi temp faucet lube. Stinks bad but a very little applied to the rubber gasket under side will last the whole season. Bet you toilet bowl doesn't leak after an application. About $5.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #5

THOR #12545
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Mike- I had the same issue on a fairly new unit. I bought Plumber's Grease at Lowe's & gloved up & smeared it all around. It's been working fine for the past 6 months or so now.

When I talked to the service guys about it in Wakarusa, they told me I could have used vasoline & that it works just as well.

Either way, mine was a pretty easy remedy....wish you the same luck.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 PM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
mine happened after i let the water in the bowl evaporate dry durring storage. Finally got it working after soaking it with CLR a few times...I had ordered a new seal and that was my last resort try before changing the seal.... I've been careful to keep it flooded and it has lasted a few years now....
Old 05-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Pour a little vegetable or olive oil in the bowl before storage...just enough to cover the bottom. It doesn't evaporate near as fast as water, isn't petroleum based and will not damage anything. Go as clear as possible...not the deep yellow colored.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerooroo View Post
Have a 23U Four Winds. Toilet ball is leaking. Does not hold water. Anyone else have this problem? Thinking of applying vaseline jelly thinking it might improve the seal between the ball and bowl. Other than taking toilet partially apart, looking for any other information. Thanks in advance.
Mike,
Many past posts on this with people advising NOT to use Vaseline on the rubber seal because it will damage it even further. Use something like Aladdin silicone grease used for rubber pool equipment seals. I used it on our Axis and it took care of the problem.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy99 View Post
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a small package of hi temp faucet lube. Stinks bad but a very little applied to the rubber gasket under side will last the whole season. .
C'mon... When compared to how a toilet should be used; how bad can it be?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Mask.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	17032
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #11

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
I had this problem last week. Found some instructions in the manual that actually worked for almost the entire weekend.

It said to press down the lever with one hand and apply downward pressure to the entire rubber ring with the other hand. Then release the lever and add really hot tap water to the bowl. It held water for a full two days after doing it.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Pour a little vegetable or olive oil in the bowl before storage...just enough to cover the bottom. It doesn't evaporate near as fast as water, isn't petroleum based and will not damage anything. Go as clear as possible...not the deep yellow colored.
I've thought about doing this several times...but I'm reluctant. Oil goes rancid...and I keep imagining the sticky oil residue staining mess left ringing the bowl.... nothing a little soapy water wouldn't take care of I suppose, but still...not something I want to deal with when getting rady to take her out on the road.
Instead, I've been in the habit of pouring a shot of the blue tank chemical into the bowl with a few inches of water in it...basically making a higher viscosity blue bowl fill with pleasant aroma
Honestly I've never really verified if it slows the evaporation or not, but it seems like it might.... Once in a while if it's in storage an extra long time I'll add a bit more water to it, but it's not often...
Old 05-02-2019, 11:42 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post

Yep. This worked for us. In fact, the instructions on ours said to remove foot to the side so the ball “slams” shut. Only time I don’t do this is during the night when DW is sleeping.