Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2016, 05:21 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #2850
Same for us. Our 2016 ACE 27.1 flushes fine and the toilet is raised. However, the bowl will not hold water.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Put vasoline around the seal on the ball
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #23

THOR #2850
Thanks, we will give it a try before adding water. What keeps the Vasolene from wearing off and needing re-applied. This is my 5th RV and we have never had this problem? We appreciate this forum for all thr knowledge being shared.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomeOfReligion
Thanks, we will give it a try before adding water. What keeps the Vasolene from wearing off and needing re-applied. This is my 5th RV and we have never had this problem? We appreciate this forum for all thr knowledge being shared.
You should always have some water (or antifreeze if winterized) in the bowl to keep the seal wet.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #25
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If it were me if that toilet did not hold water between uses it would be at the dealer for a seal or toilet replacement. That seal and the water within serves as a make shift P trap on an RV toilet. If it is not sealing you may have the smell and possible methane gas issue to deal with.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #26

THOR #2850
Back to dealer

Think you are right. Thanks
Old 01-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #27
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
If it were me if that toilet did not hold water between uses it would be at the dealer for a seal or toilet replacement. That seal and the water within serves as a make shift P trap on an RV toilet. If it is not sealing you may have the smell and possible methane gas issue to deal with.
Yet another on my list of 'intermittent failures' - the dealer claims it seals fine for them... but periodically during our long stay in FL - it won't hold water...
But of course the dealer needs to see it to file a claim with extended warranty....
Old 01-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #28

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We had one that would periodically not hold water. One of the things I found on line was that the flush ball should be allowed to "slam" back into place. In other words, when done flushing just take your foot off the peddle. Don't close it slowly. We tried that and never had another problem. This was a Dometic Sealand toilet. Not sure why it worked but it did.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:14 AM   #29

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
I haven't had any trouble with our A.C.E. 30.1, either. But when we do the dishes, we use one of those pink hospital pans and flush the soapy, dirty water down the toilet. Hopefully the combination of soapy, hot water will help break up any solids that might be troublesome.

Additionally, when we dump we dump some hot water down the toilet, and it's amazing to see how much "stuff" is loosened up. 2-3 panfuls of hot water gives us a clean black time every time.

Even with dumping all this water down our black tank 2 of us have been able to go 4 days without filling it. In fact, we don't know how long we can go, because we haven't filled it yet!
Old 01-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #30

Brand: Still Looking
State: New York
THOR #1889
Smile Toilet not holding water

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomeOfReligion View Post
Same for us. Our 2016 ACE 27.1 flushes fine and the toilet is raised. However, the bowl will not hold water.
Never use anything with petroleum distillates on rubber gaskets. It will cause the gasket to swell and fail.

For the toilet not holding water, I had this problem as the weather got cooler. I rubbed plumbers silicone(100%) on the gasket and then let the pedal slam shut a few times. Has now held water since November. Also the is a toilet gasket treatment that is recommended to leve in there while winterized and treated periodically. Works wonders.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:35 AM   #31

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
I was told to use Pledge on the rubber gasket. Spray the gasket moving the pedal up and down. Seemed to work fine........
Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #32

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
THOR #2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Attachment 482
Here is pic of vent installed

Ps: stupid rotating pic!
I saw your picture where you added that wind vane type object. I had the same idea, but my son said he couldn't get it to attach. Since I'm in a wheelchair I can't get up there to see for myself how it might go on. Better question now though is did that help with the flushing issue?

My wife had to purchase a plumbers snake just to get the water, urine and tp down. She has to use it almost every time, which I think is ludicrous to have to do on an $80,000 unit. I took ours back again earlier this month for some other issues and asked the service guy to look at the vent tube and the height of it from the bottom of the tank. His response was the vent tube was within specs and we are to use more water when we flush. We are not first time campers and know how to use a toilet. In any event, when they said the vent tube was within design specs I e-mailed Thor asking for drawings of the drain systems as well as the black tank. I quickly received a number of good drawings, but none showed how far the vent tube was to go into the black holding tank. I was hoping there was a spec so I could verify with the service tech he came up with the same number. Since there appears to be no spec for the height of the vent tube from the bottom of the tank, I'm left wondering which part of the sky (or butt) he pulled that number from.

Also, now have to go back because the service advisor at General RV in Birch Run was not aware of General's Loyalty Program. As someone who purchased our unit from them, we are automatically enrolled in this program. It offers 15% discount off of their standard hourly rate (don't get me started on this, an hourly rate of $129) and 10% off parts. Based on the work we had done, this amounts to savings of almost $300. I still think our extended warranty should have covered replacing the hinges on 3 of our storage compartment doors.

By the way, I've asked again about what distance should the vent pipe be from the bottom of the tank. Normally I get a response within hours, but it's now going on 2 days with no response.

Bottom line, there seems to be a significant number of owners who have the same problem. Has anyone truly have their issue resolved by their service center or Thor?

Thanks
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #33
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
The vent tube should not keep your toilet from flushing and the vent tube is not required to go in the tank at all. The vent tube can run off a drain line that goes into the tank. On my Challenger one of the vent tubes comes of a drain line mid way between the shower and the rear gray tank.

In fact, you would not want the tube to go into the tank because once the end is submerged in liquid you would no longer have a venting action.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #34

THOR #2780
The vent tube is essential in flushing your toilet otherwise the air will come up through the toilet when you do flush. You have to displace the air in the tank in order for the liquid to go in. I believe even if there is another drain line tied to that vent air still cannot escape because of the liquid in the drain trap. That's there to prevent gases coming off the waste going back into the unit. I completely agree that the vent tube should not be in the tank, but from what I can gather from other posts it appears that it may. If the vent tube is not the cause then there is something else causing the issue. However, the vent tube depth seems like a logical choice.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #35

Model: A.C.E 30.2
THOR #4139
Toilet flush

hello, I bought a used 2014 30.2 and have not had any flushing issues however I believe mine must have been modified and had the toilet raised about 6 inch's. The toilet sets on a raised portion of the floor"6 inch's"
Not sure if all came this way or not.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #36

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Use my boat head rule. Do not put anything in the head unless you ate or drank it first! Nothing!!
Poo still stacks regardless of whether there is paper involved or not. You obviously don't have the same tank design or you would understand.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Poo still stacks regardless of whether there is paper involved or not. You obviously don't have the same tank design or you would understand.
Wow! That post is from a year ago. The statute of limitations for complaints must have run out. It seems that your system is designed so that the water and chemicals never get to the "poo" until the tank is almost full. What a stupid design. If that is true, it seems to me that the only solution is to not empty your tank until it is almost full, so you give the water and chemicals time to rise to the level of the "poo" and dissolve it before you try to empty the tank. That would make it even more important to not put any toilet paper in the tank, because once it gets wet and hardens, it is very difficult to dissolve it. You make me happy that I decided not to buy an ACE, and bought another Axis instead.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #38

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Wow! That post is from a year ago. The statute of limitations for complaints must have run out. It seems that your system is designed so that the water and chemicals never get to the "poo" until the tank is almost full. What a stupid design. If that is true, it seems to me that the only solution is to not empty your tank until it is almost full, so you give the water and chemicals time to rise to the level of the "poo" and dissolve it before you try to empty the tank. That would make it even more important to not put any toilet paper in the tank, because once it gets wet and hardens, it is very difficult to dissolve it. You make me happy that I decided not to buy an ACE, and bought another Axis instead.
LOL, I never dump on a trip till the tank is almost full but this just creates a nuisance.
Not sure what they were thinking. Some of the other Ace models used a macerator to pump and that is most likely because the the toilet is on the passenger side and over the deep end of the tank. Mine is passenger side but over the shallow end of the tank. Wouldn't have been a big issue if the tank was deeper, it is only about 3" now. Poo stacks nicely to 3" no problem usually, lol. If the tank were deeper the pyramid would at least have room to fall over.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 AM   #39

THOR #2780
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianA.C.E View Post
hello, I bought a used 2014 30.2 and have not had any flushing issues however I believe mine must have been modified and had the toilet raised about 6 inch's. The toilet sets on a raised portion of the floor"6 inch's"
Not sure if all came this way or not.
Our unit is a 2014 as well, but our toilet was relocated about 3.5 feet closer to the outside wall. After looking at the drawing and location of the tank, your tank had to been modified or changed out. Most people on this thread also have their toilets raised as well. That is how the unit comes from the factory. I guess it gives more meaning to the word throne. I'm not sure why it is that high unless it is to try and give whatever is being flushed some momentum to get down into the deeper part of the tank. With the height it is at my wife's feet barely touch the ground.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #40

THOR #5535
I also have a 2016 30.2 with the same toilet problem. I have been thru the same remedies (1 ply paper, snaking, and power flushing, etc,) The bathroom sink emptying into the black tank is also a dumb idea. The tank only holds 28 gallons and fills up quickly with normal use. Thor should have a recall to fix this for all of us. How do they expect us to live the happy rv experience with this big problem. I will never buy a Thor again with the excuses they gave me.
But for now all I can tell you is to wait until the tank is full before emptying and I started using RIDEX that just came out for RV's. It worked well with septic tanks and now made for our black tanks. It breaks down the paper faster makes for a better cleaner. It also cleans the sensors to get an accurate reading.
Good luck to all of you.