Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #41

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #3109
Don't own one of the problematic tanks, but I think I am reading that the PROBLEM is the tank/drop design. Don't think I see that anyone is leaving the drain valve open.

2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
ANother problem with leaving the valves open to drain all the time.....there are all kinds of little flies that can live in that dump drain outside and they can fly into the hose and end up in your tank. It's only a short trip then up your commode and into the camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
I can't believe none of you told the guy what his problem is. You never, ever leave the drain valve open. You use the system and let the tank fill, if you are out for a weekend you empty when you leave or on an extended stay with full hook ups,you empty when your tank is full and everything will be evacuated, then simply flush the tank with your onboard flush or a wand through the toilet. Leaving the drain open will clog the holding tank right below the toilet, just like a outhouse and you will have to get into the tank and clean out all that good stuff.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #43

State: California
THOR #12313
Great advice. However, it is a design flaw as well. We owned a Winnebago View for years and never once experienced the same problem. Valve open or closed. We have rented other RV’s and have never experienced the same problem. Your solution will work as we have recently started to leave the valve closed and using other important suggestions things are flowing out. I think this problem is unique to this particular model. I have also found leaving the valve open creates an odor from the tank and septic. Another reason to close the valve. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #44

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
Toilet issues

There is no design flaw, you can look at every black water holding tank used by the industry and you can't tell the difference unless the name is on it. The only flaw is in the user, and if you didn't have a problem with your tank while leaving the dump drain open consider yourself super lucky. When "POOP PLOPS" it sticks.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #45

Brand: DRV
THOR #3109
Kona Tom,
Do you, or do you not, leave the black tank valve open all the time?
2017 F450 KR
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #46
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
I don't believe you folks, how long have you had RV's/TT's, a week. As I said earlier, leave the drain valve closed until the tank is about full, then drain the tank (make sure you have the hose on). Then you will not have an issue. Never, never, never, never use the toilet with the drain open, all you are doing is making a pile under the toilet that will eventually dry up and you will need that push rod and a lot of rubber gloves to clean up the mess, only you won't be pushing, you will be pulling.. Simple, don't open the valve until the tank is full or you are through with your little weekend trip and are leaving the park. If you had a 45 degree slope on your tank it still wouldn't run out without about 20 gallons of water to keep it floating. Read the instructions!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the lectures. Were you ever a Drill Instructor?

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1535927295
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	12560  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:39 PM   #47

THOR #2904
Toilet issues

You leave the black water dump valve closed, except to empty the tank when it gets full. The grey water can stay open. Not a DI, just a Former Marine. Trying to save people a lot of heart ache, not fun to clean a black water tank. As I said earlier, "POOP PLOPS" and it sticks like glue on a dry tank. Enough said, if you didn't get the message you never will.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:23 AM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I was just joking with you a bit.
But you DID explain it in a very clear and coherent manner.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #49

THOR #2904
Toilet issues

I know, no thin skin here!!!!
Old 09-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #50
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
You leave the black water dump valve closed, except to empty the tank when it gets full. The grey water can stay open. Not a DI, just a Former Marine. Trying to save people a lot of heart ache, not fun to clean a black water tank. As I said earlier, "POOP PLOPS" and it sticks like glue on a dry tank. Enough said, if you didn't get the message you never will.
The problem described in this thread isn't leaving the valve open. It's the toilet installed on the passenger side of the coach dumping into the shallow end of the tank (with the tank dump being on the drivers side).

Thus, unless they always leave the tank 1/2 full or more you'll always be flushing onto a dry spot in the tank. Hence the call for more water during the flush (and even, perhaps, a pre-flush to "prepare" the dry spot on the tank, or adding some soap to make things more slippery).

It isn't a tank design problem its a coach design problem.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #51

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
We have a 29M and have the same problem, there is a “ledge” directly under the toilet that tends to collect everything until there is a backup. NO amount of water, or for that matter anything, can overcome the poor design and installation of the toilet tank!

I have tried flushing with LOTS of water, leveling the coach to be low on the passenger side, you name it, I tried it. VERY frustrating!!! Fortunately the backups don’t happen often, or on a regular pattern, mostly depends on the consistency of what gets flushed.

My final solution was to make a “S... Flushing Stick”. The “stick” works great and the “90” hose barb on the end generates enough force to clear everything out. The “ideal” solution would be to install a tank sprayer above the ledge that could be controlled from the bathroom, OR, and this ain’t gonna happen, have Thor make a correction!!!

Name:	4C2931D4-75A8-4736-9F5D-5F077515B00D.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	12578

Name:	512A9409-E759-4627-A4FE-3BC57B5481D3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	12579
Old 09-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'd love to see some pictures of that sprayer in action...
Specifically: I'd like to see how you've got the plumbing rigged to accept it.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #53

THOR #2904
Toilet issues

If you think you need a spray unit, you don't need to create some elaborate piece of plumbing, just go to any RV parts store and buy one. Also, you don't need a 1/2 full tank, remember "POOP FLOATS". All of you that seem to have problems, just follow instructions. I have had all kinds of RV's, got my first one in 1968 and have never had an issue because I listened. back in the early 80's, my step dad thought he knew better, and got rid of the valve and plumbed the tank straight to the sewer connection. Took about two weeks, but plugged up tighter than a drum. He put the valve back and did it the right way, leave the valve closed except to dump, never had another problem. Listen to an old guy that has seen it many times.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #54

State: California
THOR #12313
That’s very clever and I love the design. I have enjoyed reading all these responses. For every poop, there is a solution/answer. Some folks even seem a little defensive in that their particular poop solution is the most effective. For me I do believe it is a couch design problem with the placement of the tank. We have used several different Rvs and have never had the stacking problem. I owned a View for ten years and never once had to ask why the tank wasn’t working. Something is different. Thank you everyone. Plenty of solutions and interesting reading. Yes, it’s the shallow end, only about 3/4” deep. My other tanks were much deeper under the hole and drained on the same side. I do believe in this case, that’s the main difference and issue.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #55
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
THOR #11442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The problem described in this thread isn't leaving the valve open. It's the toilet installed on the passenger side of the coach dumping into the shallow end of the tank (with the tank dump being on the drivers side).

Thus, unless they always leave the tank 1/2 full or more you'll always be flushing onto a dry spot in the tank. Hence the call for more water during the flush (and even, perhaps, a pre-flush to "prepare" the dry spot on the tank, or adding some soap to make things more slippery).

It isn't a tank design problem its a coach design problem.
Concur with coach design problem. My coach has two full baths. A toilet on the left side, no issues and less water per flush, and one on the right side that has issues if I don't double flush. Both toilets pickle swimmers into the pool except the left uses the deep end while the right uses the shallow end.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #56

Model: Four Winds 31E
THOR #11646
Rudeness is not acceptable

Quote:
I don't believe you folks, how long have you had RV's/TT's, a week. As I said earlier, leave the drain valve closed until the tank is about full, then drain the tank (make sure you have the hose on). Then you will not have an issue. Never, never, never, never use the toilet with the drain open, all you are doing is making a pile under the toilet that will eventually dry up and you will need that push rod and a lot of rubber gloves to clean up the mess, only you won't be pushing, you will be pulling.. Simple, don't open the valve until the tank is full or you are through with your little weekend trip and are leaving the park. If you had a 45 degree slope on your tank it still wouldn't run out without about 20 gallons of water to keep it floating. Read the instructions!!!!!!!!
You're rude! I for one am new but have done my homework and that includes my manual. I fill my tank with at least 2 gallons of water, throw in a couple of pouches and never drain until full. Nonetheless I still have trouble even when the tank is almost full. If you can't be nice then don't comment. Back away from the computer. You have no business talking or giving advice to anyone.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #57

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Illinois
THOR #12875
Toilet issue

I have a 17' 34f and had the same issue. I removed my toilet thinking I was going to fix issue. There is a plenum in there that stops water from sloshing up. Does your toilet bowl hold water? My did not I had to repair seal and found that when you flush with a volume of water the solids slide of the plenum. If you just run water it will clog up if I use a 1/2 a bowl of water, you should not have any issue. Give it a try.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:43 AM   #58

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'd love to see some pictures of that sprayer in action...
Specifically: I'd like to see how you've got the plumbing rigged to accept it.
No special plumbing, unfortunately, I have to run a water hose thru the door which is why I have a shutoff valve on the end of my “stick”.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:04 AM   #59

Model: Hurricane 34F
State: Illinois
THOR #12875
Toilet problem

I also have the tank flush wand. Mine has the spinner on the end. It does not work on this tank. The plenum stops the wand from going down in the tank. I think your problem is the solids build up at the bottom of the tube as you flush the toilet not when you drain the tank ? Correct? Be sure to fill the toilet with 1/2 bowl of water and this wont happen but seal must hold water in bowl to do this good luck. As I see what you say about 3/4 " deep I thought that too till I pulled the toilet. That is the plenum I was talking about. It is like 15" under that. That is what stops liquid from shushing upward as you travel. Trust me I have taken it apart was tired of plugged up pooper!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:25 AM   #60

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Florida
THOR #4963
I seem to have the same problem in the 1/2 bath on my 2014 Pallazzo 36.1.