Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: Georgia
THOR #5002
Tracking down black/grey tank odor.

Having black/grey water tank odors you can't track down?

This is how I tracked down my problem. This MAY OR MAY NOT work for you.

DISCLAIMER: I obeyed ALL PERTINENT ORDINANCES/LAWS relative to fireworks and fire department rules (State, county, and Local). Don't hold me responsible for whatever you choose to do based on my method, fireworks-related or not. Take responsibility for yourself. Any information here is for informational/educational purposes only and is not to be considered a call to action. Take extreme safety precautions when playing with fire.

1. I STARTED with an EMPTY TANK that I had washed out so there were NO flammable fumes, or fume generation capabilities.
2. I Obtained a camouflage smoke generator from a fireworks supplier. (In my area, they sell for less than $2 each).
3. I connected a sewer hose to the offending tank, and ran that hose away from my RV (two hose lengths).
4. I opened the valve to the (EMPTY) offending tank.
5. Inside my RV, I closed all windows and doors and turned on a ceiling exhaust vent, to create a negative air pressure.
6. Outside, near the open end of my hose, I placed the smoke generator on an old cinder block, and followed the generators instructions on how to generate smoke.
7. I directed the smoke being generated, toward the open end of the hose (careful to not use a smoke generator that also generated any open flames).
8. It was evident that I had a leak inside, since the smoke was VERY willing to enter the end of the hose.
9. Went back into the RV and tracked down the source of the smoke.

My problem turned out to be caused by a faulty black water vent line.

Tags
black, grey, methane, tank odor