Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It would be easier to understand you if you used punctuation, didn't post in a single run-on sentence, and proof-read your post before posting it.

So so sorry .Been up drinking all night.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #22

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
That's what owning a motorhome will do to you!!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #23

THOR #3992
After reading comment about the braking system on your Ford did some research. Been out of the loop for a while used to work on them before I started driving large rigs.A long time ago. The braking system you have reminds me of putting a potato up the tail pipe. Sounds like a whole lot of heat going back into the engine but I guess they got that figured out because it works great. You have to wonder why they don't offer this engine in motorhomes like the ace windsport, hurricane any of the gas motorhomes. Would certainly like to have it in mind as we go out west every year. Lots of White Knuckle rides down the mountains. Just don't keep up with the latest and the greatest like I used to lost interest in it. Wife the motorhome i'm a boater trouble in both worlds. My father used to say if you don't learn something new everyday you wasted a day. Be safe.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
After reading comment about the braking system on your Ford did some research. Been out of the loop for a while used to work on them before I started driving large rigs.A long time ago. The braking system you have reminds me of putting a potato up the tail pipe. Sounds like a whole lot of heat going back into the engine but I guess they got that figured out because it works great. You have to wonder why they don't offer this engine in motorhomes like the ace windsport, hurricane any of the gas motorhomes. Would certainly like to have it in mind as we go out west every year. Lots of White Knuckle rides down the mountains. Just don't keep up with the latest and the greatest like I used to lost interest in it. Wife the motorhome i'm a boater trouble in both worlds. My father used to say if you don't learn something new everyday you wasted a day. Be safe.
The F-53 chassis built by Detroit Chassis in Detroit, MI is offered at a retail price of $28,425. Sales go directly to the coach manufacturer. Production capacity is 120,000 units per year. Diesel F-550 cut away chassis built by Ford at the Ford plant in Louisville, KY. Price starts at $69,890 and all sales must go through a local dealer and then to the RV manufacture. Production capacity is 4,500 units per year.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #25

Model: Quantum WS31
State: New York
THOR #14399
also, if you are in trailer tow mode, the transmission behaves similarly.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #26

THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The F-53 chassis built by Detroit Chassis in Detroit, MI is offered at a retail price of $28,425. Sales go directly to the coach manufacturer. Production capacity is 120,000 units per year. Diesel F-550 cut away chassis built by Ford at the Ford plant in Louisville, KY. Price starts at $69,890 and all sales must go through a local dealer and then to the RV manufacture. Production capacity is 4,500 units per year.
F53 chassis supplied by Ford doesn't come with a diesel option is that correct? And F-550 only works with a Super C in other words there's not an option for a diesel engine. If Ford would offer the 6.7 diesel in the E450 and the 53 chassis I think they would have some sales. Probably like everything else would just be too expensive. I'm just an old man still learning as I go.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #27

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post

you are 100% correct...it came with a 5 pound bag of potatoes but a coupon for a lifetime supply. Keep up the good research...I'll keep up with the 1st hand experience.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
When I first saw a thread about a "Tranny Problem": I resisted the urge to make a lifestyle judgement...
But then I came up with some good advice:
Trim your eyebrows a bit more, and have that goiter shaved off!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #29

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Pinning the RPM's

Turning off the cruise control stopped my V10 Ford from doing that.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #30

State: Georgia
THOR #14423
Quote:
The Triton V-10 is an overhead cam engine and as such is able to stand much higher rpms than push-rod, overhead valve engines. The the ECU (engines computer) limits the V-10 in the motor homes to 5,200 rpm. This engine can sustain operation in the 4,500 to 5,200 rpm range without any damage. Should the coach still continue to accelerate in the present gear the transmission will up-shift rather than over-rev the engine. Unless you see the tachometer go above 5,400 rpm just enjoy the noise. Of course you can disengage the cruise control, show down shift into second and motor down the mountain with all the heavy trucks. This is what I do when out west, as I feel 40 mph on a 6% grade descent is the max speed I feel safe in my 23,000 lb rig.
GREAT advice, my 29M Hurricane did the same when holding the brake!
Old 03-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #31

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Barber View Post
Turning off the cruise control stopped my V10 Ford from doing that.
Post #3
Old 03-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #32

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #13282
Yes and the Tow/Haul mode suggestion was spot on gentlemen. Thank you
Old 03-04-2019, 02:40 AM   #33

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
not so, ford did not renew that contract, a few years back,..
Old 03-04-2019, 03:44 AM   #34

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
not so, ford did not renew that contract, a few years back,..
Detroit Chassis produces rolling chassis and complex subassemblies and modules for the automotive industry. The company’s sole client is Ford Motor Co., which uses its parts as the basis for recreational vehicles as well as commercial step vans, medium-duty trucks and cars including the SVT High-Performance Mustang. RV chassis make up roughly 70 percent of its total business, Dobbins notes.
The company recently opened a second facility in Avon, Ohio, that will concentrate on manufacturing chassis, rear axles and wheel assemblies for medium-duty work trucks such as the Ford F-650 and F-750. RV and commercial step van chassis and additional components including front end and corner modules for the SVT Mustang are manufactured in Detroit. The Avon facility is projected to reach full production capability by August.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #35

THOR #11130
Quote:

The F550 chassis is delivered to Thor as a completed unit with cab fully intact...not a cutaway. Thor actually uses a jig over the cab and cuts the back off and cuts the top out for the Super C. It was interesting to see this at the factory tour. Ford engineers come into the plant to inspect the cab modifications prior to Thor starting on the body. At the same time, they inspect the frame modifications as well, making sure both modifications fall within the Ford Factory Warranty tolerances.